Smart Car of America Forum banner

Moving..how well does smart pull small u haul trailer.

8K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  timhood 
#1 ·
I am relocating from Los Angeles to Dallas/Ft. Worth. My trip is around 1300 miles. I have been looking at different options to move, but like most people I would prefer to keep the cost down.

A uhaul with trailer is going to be around 1800 before gas
A pod is around 1300, plus about 140 for gas in the smart
A small uhaul trailer is about 180 (for the larger of the smaller two) plus the smart gas...clearly the least expensive.

My concerns are the strain on the motor for the 1300 mile trip. I have driven this many times, and always just drive straight through only stopping for gas.

I would like to know the experiences you guys have had with towing, or if its a bad idea to solo drive the smart that distance (motor braking down, flats etc etc).

Thank you

#2 ·
Smart were never designed to pull much of a trailer, max towing cap is quite small, and the strain on the clutch, brakes, etc is not worth the savings from renting a Uhaul truck. Personally I would go with the Uhaul truck and either trailer the car or find someone to help out with the driving.

Driving a smart 1300 miles is not a problem, done it myself and the only recommendation is to get a cruise control, and check things over before you take off. Make sure tires are in good shape, oil, suspension, lights, shocks, and double check the hood to be sure it is closed correctly. Since you say you have done the drive before, you probably already have this covered.

#4 ·
It's not worth the wear and tear on the smart. I over-loaded my Toyota one time hauling too many things/people and got to buy a new transmission; not the cleverest thing I've ever done. It depends on how much stuff you got. It literally may be cheaper to box up your crap and send it UPS and then drive the smart out to TX. If you got enough stuff then I'm on board with RVGringo, but if it's not too much more you can get a car-hauler to tow behind. If you decide to tow the smart then I'd do a little reading on the site to see how to do it right so you don't screw anything up. Also, I live a little west of Fort Worth, so if you need to know anything, or just need anything, drop me a PM and I'll do what I can!

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I think I am going to get one of those pod things from uhaul. It looks to be one of the least expensive options for a pod, and I will just drive the smart, only loaded with a weeks worth of clothing.

And thank you Kennyray.

#6 ·
This is about as much as I would tow with a smart. It comes in around 550 pounds. It feels solid and brakes well. No noticeable acceleration changes but then again I don't have a heavy foot. My guess the Uhaul trailer would weigh close to 400 pounds empty. Loading it up would get close to the 900 pound max limit for european smarts. Have fun on the move...if thats possible. :)

#7 ·
Yup, I wouldn't pull any more than 800 or so pounds...with a tongue weight under 100 lb...

U-Haul trailers are pretty beefy, so I doubt you'd be able to put much if anything in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.