Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to get the rearview mirror (and the rainsensor hockeypuck, for that matter) off the windshield safely? Both cause a large blindspot, so I'd like to move the mirror higher, and get rid of the sensor entirely.

Someone was lucky enough for this to happen by accident here. Do you think it's safe to try this with a heatgun? What's the official procedure to remove the mirror?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I used a lighter to carefully apply some heat to the button then rotated the button with a crescent wrench to change it out to a different type. Mounted a much smaller mirror that could be adjusted higher. Do this at your own risk.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Boesch Built Mirror

I got one of these several years ago and it opened up a whole new world! You don't have to move anything and it mounts on the original piece attached to the windshield. Could take as much as five minutes!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
windshield mount

I had a glass shop make a mirror for me and used a cell phone/GPS windshield mount. If you remove the rain sensor it still leaves a black ring (some sort of epoxy paint I'm guessing) that is impossible to remove and you no longer have an intermittent wiper mode.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts