Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
You're at the opposite end of my MPG, first tank is giving me about 25mpg-ish. Maybe I am needlessly concerned as the the car has less than 250 miles so far on the ODO. 2015 Brabus.:shrug:

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
The first tank full of gas in a smart is not a good indication as it may not have been completely filled, and we have seen that these cars need to get some miles on them to set the rings , etc. I didn't start getting good mileage until almost 30,000 miles. I blame Mobil 1 which lubricates too well and keeps things from wearing in.

It will get better! also best to average MPG over at least 3 tankfuls to eliminate pump errors and filling errors.

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
Absolutely agree that averaging ove a minimum of three tanks before a realistic figure can be arrived at. And the more the better.

In my experience, the typical experience with improved efficiency over time isn't universal. In 86K miles and eight years, mine has been rock steady at 35 in town (with a lead foot) and low 40s on the highway on cruise.

Yes, you should be pleased with 40 MPG in town. You can hope it improves upon breaking in the engine. But, don't bank on it. In my opinion, beating the vehicle's EPA estimate (which you seem to be doing), ain't nothin' to complain about.

No comment on Royal Purple. Other than that the mere mention is likely to draw controversy, from both believers and skeptics if you're lucky, LOL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2008 smart fourtwo. I trip the odometer after each gas fill up. I normally get between 360 to 380 miles before I'm at .4 gallons felt. Once I got to 417 miles and had .5 gallons left. I'm a delivery driver for a dominos and work over 60 hours a week so I change my oil once a month mobile one oil and filter.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Getting 44-45 MPG mixed city / highway with larger tires (185/55R15) inflated to 40 front, 44 rear.
Max on the side of the tire is 51...

General Altimax HP's, they have been discontinued, but Tire Rack has the replacement RT43's,
and there is a $50 rebate on four, ends June 15, 2017...
http://generaltire.com/promotions

Running Pennzoil Euro 0W-40, with an oversized oil filter, Fram 7317 or Purolator 14610...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platium-Euro-0w40-Sn-5-Quart/163165881

$10 rebate, $2 per quart
$2 Per Quart Rebate Offer | United States

·
Registered
249 Posts
You're at the opposite end of my MPG, first tank is giving me about 25mpg-ish. Maybe I am needlessly concerned as the the car has less than 250 miles so far on the ODO. 2015 Brabus.:shrug:
I too have a '15 Brabus USA model, that I only drove last summer, I think it only got about 30mpg or so with about 3000 miles on the odometer. It was a mix of in-town and secondary roads.
With about a 40 cent difference in price per gallon for the high test fuel required, it costs more to run gas wise than my '17 Forester. But I like the Brabus a lot, and it replaced my motorcycle as age sneaked up on me, I call it my four wheeled motorcycle with AC and a roof in case of rain.

·
Registered
617 Posts
5 Speed , Cabrio , my av-mpg is hitting on the 41-45 range .. that's with the 17" wheels and low profile meats and the Lorinser power pack and BMG high flow filter . I so tickled pink about that mpg , I had figured on a drop with the performance upgrades but happily it hasn't changed a thing . I have the Appalachian Mountains to deal with and put the 3 cylinder to work . When I do , my mpg drops to the 33-39 range but zooming up the mountain twisties makes it so worthwhile .

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
A well known fact that MPG will increase after around 30,xxx miles. get out there and drive that thing!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I too have a '15 Brabus USA model, that I only drove last summer, I think it only got about 30mpg or so with about 3000 miles on the odometer. It was a mix of in-town and secondary roads.
With about a 40 cent difference in price per gallon for the high test fuel required, it costs more to run gas wise than my '17 Forester. But I like the Brabus a lot, and it replaced my motorcycle as age sneaked up on me, I call it my four wheeled motorcycle with AC and a roof in case of rain.
Same here and loving it. No more sweaty helmets or engine heat when it's over 100 degrees. Only thing I feel I gave up was leaning into turns, but out here in the desert we have very few twistes.
I bought a cabriolet to replace my motorcycles. The fact that it gets only fair mileage for a car its size doesn't concern me, it isn't my daily driver. I bought this car for top down driving enjoyment.
When it gets too hot, top goes up and a/c goes on. Can't do that on a bike or trike.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I have heard that Gold Wings have AC, sold my 1984 Gold Wing after buying my smart. never looked back! I did love to ride that bike, even after it put me in the hospital for a week, crash was because of construction changing an exit and the road was covered with sand. Was not a good time but I was riding a few months later even with broken ribs and fractured collar bone. I do love the fact of having a roof when it rains....

·
Registered
386 Posts
Same here and loving it. No more sweaty helmets or engine heat when it's over 100 degrees. Only thing I feel I gave up was leaning into turns, but out here in the desert we have very few twistes.
I bought a cabriolet to replace my motorcycles. The fact that it gets only fair mileage for a car its size doesn't concern me, it isn't my daily driver. I bought this car for top down driving enjoyment.
When it gets too hot, top goes up and a/c goes on. Can't do that on a bike or trike.
Totally with you on that! My 2010 actually gets slightly worse mileage than my 2000 Saturn SL2 but it is so much more fun to drive with the top down. I also used to ride and I don't miss the sweaty helmets either! Plus it really is nice to be able to hit the button and put the top back up while at speed and when it gets too unbearable hit the A/C and crank up the tunes. As opposed to pulling over under a bridge and putting on the rain gear.

Hey if you want to run twisties try an old Citroen 2CV, those things can really lean into a turn though I think it feels more like it's going to tip over..... :eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts
2008 Passion MPG

I purchased my smart new in 2008 and for the first 10K miles I only got around 35 MPG. After that it increased to 44-45 and has maintained that for 128K miles. The car had to go in the shop to replace the head at a cost of $5,000. After getting the car back from the smart dealership I noticed the MPG was not as high as it was before the blown head gasket. It has been over 10K miles and my MPG is 37-40 and it doesn't change with type or grade of fuel. I have kept meticulous records on gas mileage so there is no guess work involved. What could have happened to cause my lower MPG? The dealer did replace the spark plugs and maybe this is the answer.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I purchased my smart new in 2008 and for the first 10K miles I only got around 35 MPG. After that it increased to 44-45 and has maintained that for 128K miles. The car had to go in the shop to replace the head at a cost of $5,000. After getting the car back from the smart dealership I noticed the MPG was not as high as it was before the blown head gasket. It has been over 10K miles and my MPG is 37-40 and it doesn't change with type or grade of fuel. I have kept meticulous records on gas mileage so there is no guess work involved. What could have happened to cause my lower MPG? The dealer did replace the spark plugs and maybe this is the answer.
$5000 !! For a head replacement ? What was your labor charges and parts charges , I?m inquisitive. I detect some highway robery

1 - 20 of 33 Posts