Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone or is it possible to do like american cars do....cut the muffler off and install and aftermarket free flowing muffler without having to purchase an entire exhaust system. by the sound of the resonance i can tell it needs to breathe easier but i can't afford an expensive system......just wondering

·
Registered
935 Posts
I agree the stock muffler sounds restricted. I'm thinking of installing the Solo Performance sys. I wish I could hear one personally, in order to judge just how loud it is for my style of driving.
The youtube vids. don't help me much.

Below are 3 companies that sell "CAT" (catalytic converter) back exhaust systems.

Novus Performance Exhaust Pipe Exhaust 2x76mm Centre for Smart Fortwo
smart car performance exhaust by sila concepts - dual tip center exit (v2)
SOLO Performance SMART CAR CENTER EXIT & SIDE EXIT EXHAUST KITS

None are cheap, are they expensive, that's all relative to one's budget.

·
Registered
386 Posts
has anyone or is it possible to do like american cars do....cut the muffler off and install and aftermarket free flowing muffler without having to purchase an entire exhaust system. by the sound of the resonance i can tell it needs to breathe easier but i can't afford an expensive system......just wondering
Do you own an electric drill? Did you put your car on a dyno?

A cheap system is just that, a cheap system. So you might be able to cobble together something made of cheap materials like Speedy or Midas sell however it will rot out much faster then a properly made stainless steel system. Also with said cheap system you may likely create more back pressure thus reducing performance. An exhaust system isn't some guy in a shop cobbling together a bunch of pipes, proper systems are well designed typically with dyno testing to ensure you actually get some performance boost and with our little cars it seems like there isn't much more you can squeeze out until you get in turbocharging. Also if you are going to free up the exhaust you'll likely have to look into the intake system as well.

Personally I would go with the Brabus system, as even though on paper it is not reported to make any difference my 'seat of the pants' feeling is that it does.

Honestly, this I can't afford to do this or that is kind of wearing thin with me. I'm on a pension as well, have had some very serious health issues yet I don't for a second think to myself, oh poor me, I'm broke, I'm sick, I can't afford to do this or that. It's a bad excuse and one that you will never dig yourself out of, trust me as that is how I got sick in the first place..... Think positive, don't dwell on lack, because the more lack you worry about the more lack you will get.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Your "seat of the pants feeling" is very faulty. The BRABUS exhaust in the CAN/US is a heavy expensive item that only sounds marginally better than the base exhaust.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
If you would have filled out your profile, then people would know what country or area you are from. As for the lack of funds argument, there are many people that times are a bit tight and don't have the best health (including me) but this doesn't detract from the enjoyment I get from owning my smart or working on what I can on it.

Nothing wrong with someone learning all they can about their car, and asking questions is the best way to learn. We all were new owners at one time and had lots of questions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently cut my muffler off and replaced it with a cobra slip on I had laying around, car sounds like a sport bike now(really cool) but I have not noticed any gains in mpg

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you would have filled out your profile, then people would know what country or area you are from. As for the lack of funds argument, there are many people that times are a bit tight and don't have the best health (including me) but this doesn't detract from the enjoyment I get from owning my smart or working on what I can on it.

Nothing wrong with someone learning all they can about their car, and asking questions is the best way to learn. We all were new owners at one time and had lots of questions.
Actually my location was filled out in my profile, but it appears there are TWO spots to fill in for location and the top one does not default to my profile.....

Plus HL I know from Clubsmartcar, though right now I'm 'out of town'. As for the rest I sent you a PM.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Yes Niteshooter I totally understand and agree with you on health and senior money issues, I am in the same boat in the seat right next to you. We both can do a remarkable job on very little though. There is no substitute for wisdom that comes through years of life's experiences.

As for changing the muffler Mr.Robinson, I am a little scared of doing that and here is why. The Mitsubishi engine is pretty efficient for it's size. But I am sure that when Mercedes was designing the 451 they decided to use Mitsubishi engines instead of their own brand of engines as they did on the 450, they were yelling, keep that engine as lean as possible so we get the very best fuel economy we can. As for having less back pressure with a more free flowing muffler, it causes the engine to be running even leaner. If you could richen the mixture I am sure there would be some performance gains, but running an engine super lean can cause problems. A lean mixture causes the engine to run hotter. Also if there is detonation the ECU will retard the timing to stop the detonation and that can negatively affect performance. I would guess that the Brabus models have different algorithms in the ECU to richen the mixture a little due to the lower restriction mufflers. But many people on the forum have installed aftermarket mufflers successfully, so I don't know how valid it is to worry about a lean mixture. Maybe the ECU can successfully richen it just a little, and that might be enough. DCO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts