Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is not my exhaust, just an image from google images that someone posted on these forums. My exhaust appears to be the same as the one here.

After 6 years, with only 40k miles I now have a broken connection between the muffler and the flex pipe. The broken connection is the area I circled. The short pipe that comes off the side of the muffler and bends around roughly 110 degrees, this pipe looks to be fully intact with its flange on the flex pipe side still fully intact. What seems to have happened is the weld gave way that connects the 110 degree angled pipe with the flex pipe. It looks like a very clean break so I thought a simple weld would be fine. The steel braiding around the pipe is still in great condition.

After taking it to Monro Muffler, the guy there said theres nothing he could do. He said that section cant be welded, he couldnt cut anything out and replace it, and even if he could do either of those he then said that there wasnt enough clearance to do it. Obviously our cars are quite unique, but the whole conversation led me to believe he just didnt want to do it, even after I told him the rear bumper panel could come off to make more room.

I'm about 45 minutes north of Pittsburgh and there is a Smart dealership in Pittsburgh, but we all know that I would get my wallet cleaned out if I went there.

I've heard there is an 8 year and some odd mile warranty on some parts of the emissions system, I just don't know if my situation is worth trying to get covered under warranty?

Flex pipes are less then $50 on ebay, but if Monro Muffler wouldnt fix it then who would? Should I just get a whole new exhaust and replace it myself or try to get a shop to do it?

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
The pipe and flex pipe are stainless steel which takes a bit of a specialty to weld. I replaced mine myself with a used pipe I got off of here from someone who upgraded to a different system. Maybe check with Smart Madness and see igf they have a used one.

The flex pipe can be replaced, but the old one has to be cut off and the new one needs to be welded in the correct location so the muffler will hang right. Any good muffler shop could do it but it might not be cheap. it ca be done without removing the rear panel, but I had a trailer hitch so I removed the panel, which wasn't difficult, and made the job easier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what are my options here? Try another shop and see if they can repair it? Get a whole replacement exhaust and attempt a repair myself or hopefully a shop would be more willing to swap out the whole exhaust then trying a cut/weld repair? Take a chance with the Smart Dealership and hope that they can fix it relatively inexpensively?

The exhaust overall looks to be in good condition and I would hate to have to replace the entire system simply because one connection broke off.

Maybe whats best is call around and find a shop that specializes in European cars and has worked on alot of Smarts.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
A good muffler shop should be able to hook you up. As I recall, there is a thread on here where someone identified a source for the flex pipe, including proper dimensions, if you're inclined to do it yourself. Try a search and I'm sure you'll find it.
The dealership will only sell you a new exhaust (at list price). No such thing as inexpensive at the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I contacted a local Midas shop and my impression so far from them to get this fixed for not too much is alot better then it was with Monro. I'm going there tomorrow so hopefully I can convince them that a repair like this on a Smart is not impossible.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Most parts warranty is at best a 90 day thing so a 2 year warranty is quite good. Muffler places used to have a lifetime replacement but I don't think they do that any more

Flex pipe size is 1 3/4 x 8 and I believe it is available from Summit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well its at Midas right now, so time will tell if they can fix it. The guy there said he had worked on Smarts before and seemed confident he could fix it, so thats a good sign.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I have good news. The guy at Monro was pretty much full of it. Either he didnt want to fix it or didnt know how to. Young guy at Midas took care of it though for $200 + tax. On the high end of what I've heard the fix should be, but the guy was cool and seemed very knowledgeable about the fix. He ended up removing the bumper and support bar, removing the exhaust, and then cutting out and rewelding in a new flex pipe. I took it there at 8:30 in the morning and they called me when it was done at 4:00 in the afternoon. We had a talk and he agreed that the exhaust was in overall good condition, because I didn't want to just drop $200 to replace the flex pipe, when more of the exhaust was about to go.

The failure between the muffler and flex pipe seems to be somewhat common as I've read quite a few other people experiencing it. So if anyone else has a break between the muffler and flex pipe, then just know that the flex pipe can be cutout and a new one welded in and it shouldnt cost more then around $200. It would help to give the shop confidence if you told them that the bumper and support can be removed fairly easily.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Good to have a price to compare other places quotes to. I have removed the rear panels and it isn't that difficult I would think the biggest issue is to get the flex pipe in the right spot, and the muffler and pipe in the correct location before welding.

I believe I have a pipe and muffler in the shed that I replaced and it could use a new flex pipe. My current car is right about at the miles where the pipe went out on my old car so I may be needing one soon.... I wonder if they could weld it up with it off the car and be able to get it in the right spot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
My wife's '08 Smart fortwo is at 62K miles and the flex pipe just gave in. Your post will help me a lot, as we don't want to spend $$$ (recently spent $1200 for trans actuator at the dealership). One question I have is, where did you buy the flex pipe?. I am in the Detroit Metro, MI. Thanks

·
Registered
11,471 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,864 Posts
And as for a shop I'd try a small independent shop that seems to be popular with locals. In my experience, chains will be much cheaper than the dealer, but can't beat local business!

Like, there's a shop near me who will do the whole job for around $50 if you bring the replacement flex pipe and do some minor prep (take off the lower valence).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same issue here

Hello,

I have the same issue. My smart model is 2011 with around 44k miles. I have attached a photo I took yesterday.
Im located in Montreal, does anyone by chance know of any shop around here that could help me? My my problem is the same as most of the cases, they want to replaced the whole exhaust and thats very expensive.
Also, Im about 15 miles from the nearest shop, is it safe to drive?

Any advice is welcome,
Thanks everyone!

Antonio

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
I would ask at your normal shop and see if they have the equipment to weld a stainless exhaust. not all shops ave the welder to handle it. A muffler shop should be able to do it but would probably charge more. the big issue is indexing the pipe and muffler so it will fit back on once the flex pipe is in place.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.