Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to post this, so if this belongs in another area, please move it as you see fit.

Adding a smart to my life means that I now have two cars, and since they haven't yet made biometric access a standard part of vehicular ownership, I now have two car keys.

Up until now, my life has been fairly manageable when it comes to keys. I have a house key, a mailbox key and a car key (I also have a key to my church and keys to my two jobs, but those aren't part of this discussion). Since I can only drive one car at a time, I find that I'm constantly switching my house key + mailbox key to one car key fob or the other.

Does anyone know of something like a "quick-change" keychain that I can use to make this constant changing faster? I have thought about getting two pull-apart keychains (something like these) or something like this "spider" keyring organizer, but I wonder if anyone has found an elegant, easy solution to the admittedly "first world" problem? :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
One big problem with lots of keys is the weight which can eventually damage the ignition switch. For that reason I've used a mountain climbing carabiner for about 30+ years. Not a cheap one as they can disintegrate and when photographing through some less then nice places I used a larger one that could be used to hold the handles of my duffle bag together or as a deterrent in a pinch. https://www.mec.ca/en/search?text=caribeaner&org_text=caribeaner

·
Super Moderator
11,233 Posts
If you have a 451 model, the key is on the console between the seats so key weight is not too much of a problem. the 453 (new model) the key hangs out so key chain weight is a consideration. I have never had a problem with wearing out a switch, and I doubt less than 8 keys would cause a problem.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to clarify: I don't wish to carry a ton of keys with me. I really want just my car, house and mailbox key on a pocketable holder. I'd like to be able to switch back and forth on the car key.

My other keys all have their place on their own respective holders (I don't need them all the time, for the most part).

·
Registered
11 Posts
IMG_0547.jpg
I have four vehicles and had the same problem. I bought a 10 pack of these clips on eBay for under ten bucks. I am still on my first. They work great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I have two cars, and am their sole driver.

My car keys don't ever go on a ring; I just carry each of them individually, for whenever I drive one car or the other. It's much nicer to pull a single car key from your pocket, and put it into the ignition switch.

My non-car keys all go on their own ring.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have two cars, and am their sole driver.

My car keys don't ever go on a ring; I just carry each of them individually, for whenever I drive one car or the other. It's much nicer to pull a single car key from your pocket, and put it into the ignition switch.

My non-car keys all go on their own ring.
Well, there is that, too. :D

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Both my wife and I keep our mail box keys inside the car. There's no address on the outdoor mail boxes. The key hasn't got any indication of what number our box is.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both my wife and I keep our mail box keys inside the car. There's no address on the outdoor mail boxes. The key hasn't got any indication of what number our box is.
That wouldn't work for me. There's only one of me, and two cars. Plus, some weekends I just want to walk out of my home to the mailbox. Having to stop at my car first would be extra effort.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Here's my wallet, which has front door, back door, parents front and file cabinet key. Credit cards, cash, health card, license and insurance.

Car keys are in a bowl by the door because we don't want to tie them together.

Which may not be all that helpful :(:shrug:

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While I was writing my original post, I happened across the keyring.com web site. I went ahead and ordered one of the "spider" type

I had one of these years ago that I got as a tchotchke at a trade show. I liked it, but it was made of plastic and the individual rings fell off too easily. The one shown is chrome-plated metal, which should be more secure. I guess I'll find out!

·
17,360 Posts
I pack light in like every situation every day. Since the 451 is my daily, all the keys are on it. Yet, all that are on it is my apartment key, my apartment building key, and my mailbox key. Then I have the RFID tag to get into work and a Thorntons card.

The 453 key has nothing but a Qdoba card hanging from it...and the Qdoba card was modified with a velcro pad so I can stick the key to my wine fridge.

They both live in my purse so it's no big deal either way.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I had one of these years ago that I got as a tchotchke at a trade show. I liked it...

Way too bulky! Not only are you adding five key rings, but also the big main hub. Lots of tangling and jangling – but what do you gain for all of that? Plus, you're carrying around that second car key everywhere you go, which you couldn't possibly use.

When you keep your car keys separate, one from the other, you only take the one you'll need. Put your car key in one pocket, and your key ring with the other keys (if you need to carry those around with you all day) in the other pocket. That way, you don't have to hunt for the right key, ever! I put an electronic lock between my garage and house, so that now I don't need to take any keys with me except for one car key.

Life's good!

·
17,360 Posts
I'm not sure I'm quite ready to go that route...
Aw but it is really fun on most days! 0:) There are pills and everything! >:D

That spider chain looks pretty interesting. You could basically detach the smart key from the rest and not have to worry about a huge clump of keys at all times?

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
That wouldn't work for me. There's only one of me, and two cars. Plus, some weekends I just want to walk out of my home to the mailbox. Having to stop at my car first would be extra effort.
We have 2 keys, from the post office. We normally pickup the mail afterwork. On Saturdays, just grab, the mail box key. Out of one of the vehicles in the garage. Walk down to the mail boxes. Get the mail.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@stevenvillatoro, @Miss Mercedes has the right idea. The "spider" serves as a "hub" for keys, and only those that are needed can be removed from the hub at any given time. Car key on one ring, other car key on another ring, house and mailbox key on a third, office keys on yet another...

No need to carry the whole kit and kaboodle (although it's not so large as it can't be done -- @Miss Mercedes could put the whole thing into her purse :) )

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Make duplicate house and and mailbox keys for each car key....That's what we do and we have 4 vehicles to contend with...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts