Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'14 ED - this is my first real problem. Parked last night with 80% charge. This morning it would not go to "READY" and gave me a brake malfunction and a "malfunction - workshop" (something like that). I thought this was odd. Even more odd was that the wipers came on and did a single slow wipe of the windshield. I thought that perhaps the battery somehow drained. I engaged the charger but the car would not initiate charging. I left it plugged in anyway and checked 30 minutes later and it was accepting a charge. However, it is 4 hours later and it is still charging, so I suspect the battery drained as I should have been able to top off that missing 20% by now.

Any ideas what happened here? I am hoping I can get it started so I can move it out of the garage in case I need to tow it. But if it does run I am taking it to dealer for a once-over.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a thought - is this a 12V battery issue? If so, why would it drain the HV battery? Since the car is 6 years old I would not be surprised if the 12V is dead, especially since it lived in Arizona for 3 years. But why would the HV drain?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Report back on your result. You can always turn the keyswitch to "on" anytime during charging and the SOC meter on top of the dash will display the state of charge.

Are you using a level 2 (240V) charging station or the 120V wall outlet adapter? The latter can easily take 4 hours to charge 20 percent - it is slow. Make sure you select the high setting with the big button so that 4 leds are flashing on the led "charging" bar.

If you do take it to a dealer, check that they do the BMS software update (Service campaign no. 2016060002) if it has not already been done. It should be free.

There is a wiring harness chafing issue - a factory defect - that can cause some of the errors you are seeing. Go to the "Brake Wiring Harness Chafing" thread below. There is a service bulletin about that chafing problem that the dealer should be aware of. If they are not aware of it, mention it to them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - I will look into the wire harness issue at the dealer. After the charge was complete the vehicle would now respond but immediately gave me a dash warning of "HV Battery - Workshop" with several other warning symbols and a complete override of any other regular dash info (eco, mileage, etc.). Scheduled for the dealer on Tuesday.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Could this be your problem?

Per the german EQ Passion website (after it's translated to english by google):
(link is here)

Under "Known Serial Errors of the smart ED4":

"Fault - visit workshop" display

It occurs very rarely:
From the Passion line, the text "Fault - Go to workshop" appears on the color display of the speedometer, and the red LED on the motor lights up on the edge of the speedometer. There is no serious problem here, just an erroneous error message. The smart then no longer drives and charges.
Looks wilder than it is. To get him ready to go on the spot, leave the vehicle, lock it and wait 15 minutes. Then the error is gone and risk-free driving is possible. The problem is fixed permanently by having an appropriate update installed in the workshop."

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Def interested to hear what it is too, but I suspect it's a 12v error and it's triggered something that caused the HV system to think its out of whack. Just out of curiosity, have you tried to put the key in a position 1 while charging and leave it a bit? That may trigger the HV system to attempt to trickle charge the 12V battery and bring it up to snuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Service came back with Code P180D13 - Control unit HV battery performed a system shutoff. There is an open circuit.

Service performed internal test of battery, cleared code and all checked out. They checked wiring harness and found no issues. Tech stated that if code repeats then I will probably need to replace the HV battery. Anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have it right now, was even able to clear all codes.
Not able to get it out of park right now.
I was charged $500 from dealer to fix chafing issue once before.
I will be double checking my harness.
Any advice from anyone?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The way that MB prescribes and allows only a complete replacement of the whole HV battery, effectively rendering the car a write-off (save for the most intrepid DIYers using an obscure small shop in the Ukraine) all for just corrupted internal software in the BMS is positively the most preposterously ludicrous piece of awful engineering I will ever see. MB sucks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think the final life for my smart, when the MB software finally kills it will be.
Regular off the shelf charger, BMS and motor controller, and rewire original battery.
Maybe I can get a hold of a weego, they have more range and are built on an opened platform, but chassis sux

·
Registered
124 Posts
Service came back with Code P180D13 - Control unit HV battery performed a system shutoff. There is an open circuit.

Service performed internal test of battery, cleared code and all checked out. They checked wiring harness and found no issues. Tech stated that if code repeats then I will probably need to replace the HV battery. Anyone else had this issue?
look at the wires that go down from ecu in back with rubber gromet on them, move them around and see if codes change, sometimes 12v disconnect is needed for reset

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, my 2014 ED did the same strange thing with the warning message and slow wipe of the windshield after commuting home, probably had 20% or so SOC when I turned it off to park in my garage. Immediately upon turning the key to off position, the car returned the HV malfunction - workshop message on the dash and did the slow wipe. Car wouldn't turn on when key turned to start position, but gave me that same message and slow wipe action. I attempted to start the car several times to see if it would reset. Yes, it did reset eventually. I don't recall exactly how many times I attempted to start before it reset and allowed me to start it up, but I estimate it was around five attempts. The car did accept a charge after that. I might have tried plugging it in before turning the key to start position at some point before the condition cleared. I have driven the car a quarter mile up a hill and back down again twice, and it seems to be behaving normally now. I was due for routine maintenance, so I scheduled an appointment (ONE MONTH OUT FOR THE EARLIEST APPOINTMENT--GRR) and have been investigating to see if anyone else ran into this unusual automotive behavior. This is the only place I have found mention of it so far. I will monitor here & provide my own updates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts