Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the should-do/must-do modifications or add-ons for a Smart ED? Ours will be a year round commuter/driver, and our weather is pretty mild except for a handful of days when we might get some snow or ice, to which the response is to put down sand to help with traction. We get pretty relentless rain at times, and can have some very long summer days but they aren't especially hot.

On my list of things to do are Weathertech floor mats, splash guards, rear cargo cover, and sunshield for the front window and panoramic roof. When the original set of tires is worn, I'll get a pair of rear tires and equalize the tire sizes.

Is there anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Is the well deep enough so that if you have something you want to keep from prying eyes, that it can be pretty easily hidden without the cover?

Or how about a cargo try under the cargo cover?

·
17,473 Posts
Depends. I like the way the cargo cover looks, but the cover's design reduces space in the back when it's being used in the higher position. It's most useful in the lower position, where it helps keep things from getting trapped behind the seats.

Reactions: Ray L

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, sounds like I might be going about this the wrong way in trying to order everything before I have the car. I didn't know that stuff could fall behind the seats. But wouldn't it do this no matter if there was a cargo cover or not? Is that the reason why a cargo tray helps by keeping stuff contained?

·
Registered
896 Posts
I'd go for a rubber cargo tray (easy to haul messy junk) but not a retractable cargo cover (a nuisance).
I just bought and installed the retractable cargo cover. I like it I wish I had one on my first smart.
Because I only take the car out with the top down, I don't want some seeing something they want an reach in over the top to grab it. I don't keep the glove box door lockded just in case some thinks that there is something of value is in there. I don't want them breaking the latch. I only keep a box of tissues, gloves and a disposable flashlight. Insurance and registration papers are locked in the tailgate under the side rail holders. A pain if I ever am pulled over by the police, but the first and last time that happened was fall 1977.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,561 Posts
The cargo cover has a flap that extends down just below the edge of the cargo floor near the seat backs. It has Velcro to attach to the carpet and has storage pockets on the passenger side of the flap. I have had mine since the day I took delivery of the car.

In my opinion, it just seems to complete the look of the interior and makes it look like a more finished product.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That cargo cover looks great! We have something similar for our Rav4 and it noticeably is cooler under there as well.

Makes the engine quieter? The electric motor barely makes any noise as it is!

Question about the splash guards. I've seen some with a profile of a Smart car embossed on the back side of the front guards, and I'm wonder if that looks cheesy or not. The ones I've seen without that are much more expensive but also appear to extend a bit lower. My Miata had the paint sandblasted through in just one winter from the grit that got thrown up by the front tires so I really want to do this. Recommendations?

Thanks to all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,561 Posts
I don't have the splash guards, so can't speak on those. I am sure someone will be along shortly that has them and can give opinions.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Question about the splash guards.
Who cares about how they look? The point is they cut down the rate of crud buildup on the rear of the car significantly if you drive in an area where the roads may not be perfectly clean and occasionally wet. Now I can open the rear hatch without needing a shower after.

Important: Do buy the slightly more expensive ones from MB, not the cheap ones from chinese ebay sellers. I tried the latter, first. The fit was not great and the things came off one after the other in the first year. The MB ones fit tight and the clips are superstrong.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The cargo cover has a flap that extends down just below the edge of the cargo floor near the seat backs. It has Velcro to attach to the carpet and has storage pockets on the passenger side of the flap. I have had mine since the day I took delivery of the car.

In my opinion, it just seems to complete the look of the interior and makes it look like a more finished product.
I agree !! It's nice to have and does finish it off .. it's especially handy in the Cabrio , basically hiding items within the trunk .

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I'd also add an armrest, if yours doesn't already have one. I'd add one in a heartbeat, but I'm not certain I could do the modification myself, even though I've watched the video posted here. The one SmartMadness recommends even has a storage compartment!

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I have the cargo cover AND a cargo mat. The cover hides anything in the trunk area. Walk up to a smart without a cover and you will see EVERYTHING back there. Ditto the comment about a Cabrio needing the cover.

And it just so happens I have one more spare that I am selling :)

The mat I have (Weathertech) has a lip all the way around the edge and will keep stuff from spilling further into the car. And yes it has save me hours of cleanup time.

Oh, and have an armrest (you will notice right away how much you use it) that doesn't modify the seat, just bolts to the seat frame existing holes.

And cruise control.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The problem with the splash guards is that I believe the Mercedes ones do have the embossed profile. I'd prefer stronger over looks, but looks are important too. I'll probably be driving for a few miles a couple of times each day at the speed limit of the car so I really need them to be attached securely.

Cargo cover seems like a must, as well as some sort of rubberized mat or container. We'll be taking the ED to some of the closer trailheads and the ability to throw hiking shoes in the back after we're done and without making a mess is pretty important.

I don't know if my car comes with an armrest. I'll have to check the build sheet. From what I understand, it's getting a PDI today and will hopefully be on a transport to me within the week. I've read that the factory armrest tends to be up too high for most people and neither my wife nor I are usually armrest users, at least not for the shorter trips we'll be taking in the Smart. But having a compartment in the armrest would be really nice. The cutting of a hole in the seat material is the part that makes me cringe. Knowing me, I'd screw it up badly at some point.

What do people think of the headlights? Good or bad pattern? And are they bright enough?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts