Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All-

In the last stages of deciding to get a SmartED to act as our grocery-getter. We've been trying to be a 1-car couple since we moved here to the NYC area, but really we need a car & a half. The Smart ED looks like it can suit the 1/2 part admirably.

I've been reading the forum, and it seems like many folks are setting/programming options (e.g., "timers" to warm the battery etc) which seem like they would require the nav system to have something to program on. Which leads me to my question - what are the must-have options for the Smart ED? On the Leaf (our other option) there are a bewildering array of choices, but on the Smart it seems more straight-forward. None the less, what options would I be foolish not to get?

Interested to hear your thoughts...

Mark

·
Registered
646 Posts
Opinions will vary, but the nav system seems like a waste of money considering the range of the vehicle. I don't think it affects the charge/precondition time.

The only option I wish I had on mine is the daytime LED running lights, they add a lot of visibility to the front of the car. I have used cruise control once or twice, but would not miss if if I didn't have it.

The base car delivers pretty much everything you need, unless you can't live without an upgraded audio system.

·
Registered
465 Posts
No, you don't need the nav for preconditioning. The pano roof is a must have in my opinion for cold weather, because the heat generated by the Sun's rays can heat the inside cutting down on the use of the electric heat, thereby increasing range.

The touch screen navi and premium audio is nice, but definitely not a must have.

Some people think the regen paddles are a must, but I don't have them and don't really see a need for them.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Regen paddles!
I know, others have poo-pooed them already, but for me it's an absolute must! This is the only option that actually gives you more control over the car. Who cares about different rims or colors or other radios....

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think a must-have for cold weather areas is the heated seats for sure. They help a lot.

I agree that the pano-roof is a must (not sure if it is an option or standard).

The nav is pointless in my book. I have a phone that can get me there if I needed.

A stereo upgrade is definitely needed if you get the standard stereo (horrible sound).

I kinda like the cruise when traffic allows. I am not sure that it drives efficiently, which is what I would have thought, but nice at times. BUT I personally do not like the steering wheel that comes on the cruise control models. I liked the non-cruise steering wheel better. It did not have the center bar on the bottom of the wheel. I like having my hand in the center on the bottom of the wheel. Can't do that on mine because of the bar :-/

Oh and can't forget the center arm rest. I do believe that that is an optional item.

·
Registered
521 Posts
LED Daytime Running Lights MUST HAVE

Regen Paddles (3-spoke leather sports steering wheel with recuperation paddles) are a MUST HAVE ...i feel sorry for the people that don't have them, and dont understand people that say they aren't a must have, the standard level of regen sucks lol

Regen Paddles > Cruise Control

Pano Roof is standard?.... no option to choose it on the smart website

Nav is a waste of money so no

Surround system i'd say is a must have if you love music (didn't get it but wish i did, although the stock stereo is way better than the stock stereo in the 2008 smart)

Leather with heated seats is nice, don't really use the seat heaters but i like the seats a lot. (got leather cleaner to preserve the "leather", usually wipe every month or so)

Arm rest is standard (no option to select it) if you car doesn't come with it ask for them to add it on as it is standard.

Center console storage comes standard with the stock radio so i don't know if thats a free $30 bucks for them if someone selects it? (Also, never even use the storage, every time i put my phone in it I forget it) :rolleyes:

Ambient light interior is a waste so no

Alarm system really isnt needed so no

and thats pretty much it

·
Registered
312 Posts
Regen Paddles (3-spoke leather sports steering wheel with recuperation paddles) are a MUST HAVE
Unfortunately it was not an option when I bought mine. I would love to have them. But I don't like the three spoke steering wheel. But that is just a preference thing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am going to disagree with most here and say that for me the nav package is a must have feature, not for the navigation itself but because it is the only way to have Bluetooth hands free integration. And it also streams music over Bluetooth so I don't need to fumble with the aux cable connection. I got a proclip mount for the phone and have the power cable connected to the USB port in the glove compartment. Very secure and elegant looking arrangement next to the nav screen.

I also miss the armrest which is a no cost option but was not on my car which I bought off current stock at the dealer. Turns out adding the factory armrest at the dealer costs a ridiculous amount of labor. I am looking to buy a third party one with storage which the factory arm does not have.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I got the bone-dry stock model. I seriously thought about a Nav but in my experience dealer installed options are always marked up at least 100%. I can get a much better Nav for < $800. But I have all the Nav / Music / Bluetooth and more in my Galaxy Note 2, so no need for a Nav.

I would however have liked to get the heated seats, got used to that in my truck and from what I've read it's a much better option than the heater. Granted, you don't really need the heater if you have two people in the vehicle.

The only "must-have" option that I want is unavailable at this time in the US. That is the 22 kW Fast DC charger. I don't really care that there's very little that can power it, I just want it so that all charging will be done less than an hour.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Heated seats are great, particularly for those of in colder climates as it is more efficient at attaining passenger comfort than the heater.

I have the surround sound and it makes the rather basic radio acceptable.

The panoramic roof really adds a sense of openness to the car and is very reasonable at ~$200.

I would have liked to have the regen paddles as I would like to control the regeneration better than can be achieved through the brake pedal. I do like the three spoke steering wheel that came with the touring package that included cruise. I don't find cruise that useful and would much rather have the paddles.

It's a bit of a personal choice, but I think the ambient lighting is something to consider. I added it myself to my 2009, and will do the same with the ED, but it will be limited to illuminating the floor area and cup holder. It's too difficult to add to the door storage compartments and dash storage, without really taking things apart.

The Nav is pricy and navigation on a limited distance vehicle seems a bit pointless, but the Bluetooth integration and advanced audio features may be worth considering. As well it looks much nicer that the rather simple display of the "Entryline" radio.

·
Registered
515 Posts
LED daytime running lights
heated seats for cold climate areas and people with bad backs...
Regen Paddles.....greater stopping power and cruising ability
once you try it you cant live with out it

standard stereo is just fine...usb with all my music and im set

and get a 240 home charging set up....

standard arm rest is also very nice....

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm going to balance the lots of praise for heated seats here:
I got them, but find them completely useless. Tried a couple of times, but even on the low setting on a cold (below freezing) day the seat gets uncomfortably warm in a minute or two. I never notice the seats to be cold without it, either. Oh well, it was worth a try.

That said, I'm one of those who run around in short sleeves when everyone else is putting on their sweaters. So I'm biased...

I'd prefer a heated steering wheel! My fingers get cold easily, but gloves fix that, too.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Regen Paddles.....greater stopping power and cruising ability
once you try it you cant live with out it
That is like saying because you have paddle shifters your transmission has more gears...

It is just a different way to access the same regen setting that the non-paddle version has. One is through the paddles, one is through the brake pedal. Same stopping power, same internal system. You just do it with your fingers, not your toes.

·
Registered
832 Posts
It is just a different way to access the same regen setting that the non-paddle version has.
True. Just some of us find it easier. You can coast and keep your eyes on the road (instead of staring at the power meter to find the spot between accelerating and braking). And use full regen braking without engaging friction brakes. I don't know how you do that with just the foot. In my car, I don't notice any feedback when the friction brakes start to waste precious energy.

·
Registered
646 Posts
It's pretty easy to tell after paying attention to the Power Meter for a few days. You can peg the needle to the bottom left of the meter without engaging the brake at all.

My problem with the above statement was the "greater stopping power and cruising ability". That is just not correct.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Mine has leather, heated seats, LED lights, ambient lights, and regen paddles. I skipped NAV to save a little money but kinda wish I went ahead and bought that too.

·
Registered
515 Posts
It's pretty easy to tell after paying attention to the Power Meter for a few days. You can peg the needle to the bottom left of the meter without engaging the brake at all.

My problem with the above statement was the "greater stopping power and cruising ability". That is just not correct.
I slow the vehicle down faster and regen electricity greater with use of the regen paddles.... and dont use my brakes as much...ie..no brake dust on my rims....

take off with less friction in negative with regen paddles....

cruise in negative...lots of different ways to drive with no guess work....

dont be so critical

since I dont use my brakes as much as you I have greater stopping power by having more pad thickness.....lol

it ads a fun factor to the car my being able to control it by a flick of the finger

once you go regen you never go back

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
On a smart car the regenerative paddles do not increase the stopping power of the vehicle. They just add a nifty feature to adjust from either,

1. [ - ] = regenerative feature is off and the vehicle will coast on momentum without aiding battery charging
  2. [ standard ] = regenerative feature defaults to the factory setting and will slow the car down
  3. [ + ] = regenerative feature is more aggressive and slows the car down more strongly
There will be times you will literally be able to avoid using the brakes, which is why electric vehicles generally have longer brake pad and rotor replacement intervals. The brakes are used a little less frequently and with less severity over the same period of miles to a gasoline vehicle.

I got the regen paddles on mine because I also own a BRABUS smart and I'm addicted to manually shifting with the paddles. I just didn't want to be bored in my electric smart so I had to get them since the car only has a one speed transmission. Even though my 210,000 mile Pure doesn't have shift paddles, I am still able to manually shift from the gear selector knob. Regen paddles give me a sense of more control over my speed and keeps me from falling asleep at the wheel due to boredom.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts