Smart Car of America Forum banner

Must i Service my 451 now or can i wait?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  jimvw57 
#1 ·
Dear Smart Family,

Good day!

Kindly be advised i have i Smart 451 (Dielsel) from 2008.
The wrench sign has come on incidicating a service is needed. (1 wrench)
My last service was exactly 1 year ago, HOWEVER, i have only driven 11.000 KM since last service.
My smart has gone 124.000KM and according to the service book the next service should be done at 127.500KM.
I guess the wrench came on because its 1 year ago since last. The car is only driven 2-3 times a week for good long voyages.

So my question is;

Can i wait the service until i hit the 127.500KM (Expecting a few months) or Must i service it now (Only 1 wrench on the screen)?
Reason why i am asking and trying to postpone is money is a big tight upto Christmas.

Cheers!

#2 ·
You can do the service at whatever interval you feel is appropriate for your style and conditions of driving. The service reminder is just that, a reminder. it is set at 10,000 miles or 1 year (16100 KM I think) If you reset the reminder light, it will start counting from when it was reset .

#4 ·
I know some may disagree, but I feel there's no harm in going a little bit over the recommendation. I've done it several times, engine still runs like a champ. 3.5k KM isn't a lot!

Reactions: sokoloff
#7 ·
I have a Mercedes diesel and it seems like when I change the oil, it turns black as I'm pouring it in. That's the way it is with many diesels. It's soot, not dirt and if you are using the proper oil, you should not have any issues going a little longer. The only way you can tell if the oil is bad is by sending a sample to a lab to have an oil analysis. Looking at the oil tells you nothing, especially on a diesel.

Len

#8 ·
changing oil before it is needed wastes oil, waiting too long can damage the motor. The factory recommended intervals are for a normally driven vehicle and normal conditions (whatever that is) If you drive hard, or under extreme conditions, then it should be changed sooner.If you tend to baby it, you could go longer. The only way to know for sure is to have the oil tested for contamination or wear to the additives. Probably costs more than the oil change unless it is for an exotic car or a super rare special car. I doubt a smart qualifies. If you are concerned, change the oil. If not, then go ahead and wait. It's your car do what feels right to you. waiting an extra few thousand miles won't make the motor drop out or explode.

#10 ·
Welcome - lots of threads addressing this - a search will bring them up. No need to disconnect the battery. Just go through the steps in one of those threads. Some of us have a lot of fun/frustration trying to reset the darn thing. Sometimes it resets the first time. Sometimes it takes MANY attempts.

Len

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.