Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve already posted a few times on this forum, but thought I’d introduce myself and also share the details about my new Smart car that just arrived today. I first heard about the Smart car in the early 2000’s and even contacted a dealer in the U.K. to get a brochure and learn more about them. When I found out that they weren’t available in the U.S. and at the time MB had no definite plans to bring them here, I dropped the subject. I ended up buying a new Mini Cooper in 2002 and loved it. Years later, when I would see a Smart car on the road now and then, I was actually glad I bought the Mini instead.

Last December, I was helping my son shop for a used pickup and ran across a 2014 Smart ED at one of the dealers we stopped at. On a whim, I took it for a test drive and was instantly hooked. I ended up buying it a few days later (the day after Christmas). After I bought it, I started watching online reviews and reading more about the Smart brand and the electric drives. I almost pulled the trigger on an extremely low-mileage 2019 cabrio, but in the end decided against spending that much on what Is a second vehicle.

A couple of weeks ago, I happened to run across an ad for a 2014 ED cabrio with only 11,000 miles on Facebook. It was three hours away, so I had to wait until I had a day off to go look at it. After test-driving it, the seller and I made a deal and I just had it delivered today. It’s exactly like my Smart coupe, right down to the color. (I kind of wish they weren’t the same color, but at least it’s a color that I like.) Anyhow, it arrived safely and is in my garage. Wouldn’t you know it, we have rain in the forecast for the next couple of days.

I’m really happy with the car so far. I’m still curious about how the newer 453s compare to the 451. I may trade up if I find a good deal on a used 453 when they start coming off lease in the next year or two. I’m not sure how I feel about the body style. It looks nice, but it just doesn’t look as much like a Smart car to me. Anyhow, thanks for reading and here are a couple photos.

Vince

F96A7D55-1852-43AC-A36C-2EEAF3E58654.jpeg

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,521 Posts
Good looking cabrio!! The dark window tint really works with the lighter exterior color.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm with you, the 453 styling doesn't work for me. I've never driven one but like you I read a lot of reviews. Interior is wider, room enough for that arm rest, stance on the road is wider so less blown around on the highway (plus some computer magic to help with that). But EPA range is less, and nobody seems to know for sure if it's just an artifact of testing or whether smart traded range for horsepower. I also found the interior styling inferior to my 451. You'll love the Cabrio!

·
Registered
803 Posts
The EPA changed the way they measure range.
In reality (anywhere other than the US), the 453 has more range than the 451.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi lebikerboy, do have a reference on that EPA thing? I've not found anything but speculation. You'd think some press release from smart would have said as much.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Went Here to compare ED3's vs ED4's . The EPA range shows a better range for the ED3. The NEDC range shows the ED4 as a better range. This page HERE explains why.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t know if I’ll be able to keep the window tinting, as it’s illegal in my state. I also realized that the car doesn’t have a front license plate holder, and that’s also required here. (I’ve been ticketed in the past for not having one.)

For me, the selling points on the newer model are faster charging times, slightly roomier cabin, and tighter turning radius. The exterior styling looks a little more up-to-date and it’s actually growing on me. But I don’t care for the interior of the new model at all. Way too funky and cartoonish for my taste. The 451 interior is somewhat bland and minimal, but functional and well thought-out. The 453 interior just seems to have weird stuff added that serves no real purpose other than to look different.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I hadn’t seen that one. that’s a lot more affordable than some others I’ve seen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts