Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i drove my smart car to my grandmothers, its only maybe an 3 hour drive, but for a 16 year old, thats a lot, lol. i thought it was going to be a grueling drive since i dont have cruise control, but it turned out to be a ok drive, kinda looking forward to the drive back

·
Super Moderator
29,397 Posts
Don't know what roads you drove but a couple of years ago I made the trip from Houston to New Orleans via New Iberia. Enjoyed every minute of it and that was without cruise control. It's a great highway car IMHO. :)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I've driven from Va to NJ a few times, no cruise control. I have C/C on my Xterra but not the smart, in fact I don''t miss it on the smart but need it for the Xterra. Must be the fun of driving the smart vs. the chore of driving the barge.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I recall my first road trip in the Smart. It was a ball, and the best part is i was the only one in captivity at the time. It was from Annandale, VA to Hedgesville WV. About an hour and a half trip. No cruise but it was very manageable, and even better shared with a friend. BTW yes a sack of golf clubs will fit in the back of the car plus two small overnight bags, a CPAP and a small cooler.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Which direction did you go? I used to be able to do Hammond in 3 hours from my place but I suspect you drove a little slower than me.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
I just find some toyota or something like that going the speed I want to go and follow them for cruise control.

Doesn't take the pressure off the foot, but it does keep the popo away

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
My affection for the cruise is to keep me from going too fast. Hard to hold that little guy back you know...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Fits Like a Glove?

Dunno about you guys, but compared to every other car I've owned, my smart offers the least fatigue when driving long distances. It is far more comfortable over long miles and hours of driving than any of the land-yachts I've driven.

I can't explain it, it just is...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Dunno about you guys, but compared to every other car I've owned, my smart offers the least fatigue when driving long distances. It is far more comfortable over long miles and hours of driving than any of the land-yachts I've driven.

I can't explain it, it just is...
I have learned the hard way that some car seats are terrible on my back, causing pain within 45 minutes of driving, while others support MY back in all the right places. The smart is one of those good ones for me, and must be for you as well.

I used to commute a long ways, spending a good 3 hours a day in the car on average, and after doing that for months I had a back...injury? Episode? Event? It lasted for months, I even needed physical therapy. And I'm 100% convinced now that it was due to the car I was driving. That was a Neon, and very plush, leather seats in the next car, an Olds Eighty-Eight did no better for me - while my Ford Focus and my smart are just PERFECT for my back. As soon as I got my Focus, all my back problems virtually disappeared. And I am SO glad the smart fits me like that as well!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Which direction did you go? I used to be able to do Hammond in 3 hours from my place but I suspect you drove a little slower than me.
haha yeah i drive way slower now after my first speeding ticket 2 weeks after i got my license, i wasnt in my smart, but was in moms lexus, hahah nuthing like getting a 27 miles over speeding ticket to scare the crap out of me and never speed again, haha:D

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
haha yeah i drive way slower now after my first speeding ticket 2 weeks after i got my license, i wasnt in my smart, but was in moms lexus, hahah nuthing like getting a 27 miles over speeding ticket to scare the crap out of me and never speed again, haha:D
Yep. When I was in high school I said that when I got a ticket in my Mustang ('67 289ci). Then I got a Porsche but didn't want to drive it so I sold it a few months after I bought it then got a '64 Falcon convertible (again 289ci). Soon after....another ticket. I got 2 tickets while I was in high school. Of course mine wasn't 27 over, pretty sure the cop was ready to take you in for that. Both mine were 20mph over and it was a kinder time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep. When I was in high school I said that when I got a ticket in my Mustang ('67 289ci). Then I got a Porsche but didn't want to drive it so I sold it a few months after I bought it then got a '64 Falcon convertible (again 289ci). Soon after....another ticket. I got 2 tickets while I was in high school. Of course mine wasn't 27 over, pretty sure the cop was ready to take you in for that. Both mine were 20mph over and it was a kinder time.
yeah well the louisiana law states that anybody 16 years of age or under going 20+ is to be arrested, but the cop saw my school sweatshirt (thank god) and i think knew that i wouldnt really be a problem, so i got off lucky

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
That and an arrest record could very well ruin the rest of your life. A friend of mine was with a few others that got caught spray painting street signs when he was 16. He got a record because of it. We tried joining the military at the same time, they took me but denied him because of the record (it was Air Force as the other services don't mind someone with a record). I now have a retirement check and he is still working for the company my dad hired him on to so he would have a job after I left.

Be good and stay out of trouble or it'll come back to bite you in the butt. Even the smallest thing can screw things up down the road.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
A ten day round trip from our home in Chapala, Jalisco to North Carolina without cruise control was just fine. I've been driving legally for 57 years and the only ticket was from some little twerp in Maine who thought I could make a turn without taking up two narrow city lanes with my 15 ton motorhome, and car in tow. Ugh!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I like the Smart's hall-effect accelerator for long trips... it seems so much more precise than others. Driving any other car, I start to really want a CC after only a few miles, but I just don't care about it with the Smart. A tiny little detail that has big effect - just like the headlights.

well i drove my smart car to my grandmothers, its only maybe an 3 hour drive, but for a 16 year old, thats a lot, lol. i thought it was going to be a grueling drive since i dont have cruise control, but it turned out to be a ok drive, kinda looking forward to the drive back
I'm 16 too! I think the only other member here close to our age is neonspinnazz...

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
..2 days after my bride got her smart we drove it to Corbin Ky to give her old car to the new owner..it was fun in the morning..late afternoon the rain was coming down hard but the little car blew by everybody that was doing below 70...

jetfuel...looking forward to the FL event....no cruise tho...

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Gotta have cruise. That being said, I think that younger drivers should not be allowed to use it until they have held a license for a few years (hopefully they would have driven during that time). I know the argument could be that if would keep them from speeding but the fact that there is a speed limit established should do that.

·
Super Moderator
17,725 Posts
I come purty close to you guys (18 as of Nov. 30).

The seat sort of fits me like a glove. I rounded a corner in Michael's smart and normally such a maneuver would cause me to slide a bit in my seat (like in the Envoy) but no, it held me tight!

I think I would enjoy road trippin' in a fortwo, maybe even more so in a roady or crossblade.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.