Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
I love the little 450 smart cars, with the peanut shaped headlamps. Back in 2006. The was a grey market importer here. Call the Windy City smart car dealership. Located in the Chicago area. Saw my first smart car there. They were all cabrio’ s. They were asking $25k each for them. A lot of change for such a niche car.

I was extremely happy, when Penske decided to import them here.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love the little 450 smart cars, with the peanut shaped headlamps. Back in 2006. The was a grey market importer here. Call the Windy City smart car dealership. Located in the Chicago area. Saw my first smart car there. They were all cabrio’ s. They were asking $25k each for them. A lot of change for such a niche car.

I was extremely happy, when Penske decided to import them here.
My car is an 05 and was a ZAP/G & K car. I paid the $25,000 for mine brand new in 2006. Yes it was a lot of money for me, but I have no regrets. I'd love to have a 453, but I can afford anything right now because I am flat broke, ill, and too old for anything to change for the better now. Besides the 16 and 17 453s are going for close to $20,000 around here.
I live in the Philadelphia, PA Suburbs. My 450 is Always Fun To Drive! You may contact me directly at [email protected] Thanks, Sykes

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
I live in PA and have my 450 registered as a classic car with Hagerty Insurance covering it. I exercise it about once per month now. The car has no issues and runs great.
sykes05
That's interesting that Hagerty accepted your smart 450. I inquired as to them insuring my 08 451 and the person checked his list and said my smart is not on their list. I have 4 of my historic & collector vehicles insured with Hagerty and I was disappointed that they wouldn't accept my smart car.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's interesting that Hagerty accepted your smart 450. I inquired as to them insuring my 08 451 and the person checked his list and said my smart is not on their list. I have 4 of my historic & collector vehicles insured with Hagerty and I was disappointed that they wouldn't accept my smart car.
My Smart is a 2005 registered as a classic. So I think that made the difference. Although I have had the notion that they don't like insuring my car because my policy is expensive for such insurance. I must be the only Smart Car in the country insured by Hagerty. I also miss not driving my Smart as a daily driver any more.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Smart is a 2005 registered as a classic. So I think that made the difference. Although I have had the notion that they don't like insuring my car because my policy is expensive for such insurance. I must be the only Smart Car in the country insured by Hagerty. I also miss not driving my Smart as a daily driver any more.
PS: Are you interested in any New Smart Car items? If so, check the classifieds on the forum under "parts for sale by owners."

·
Registered
432 Posts
Interesting. In CA, a car has to be older then 25 years to be elgible for a historical plate which limits your useage to only drive your car to car events, parades, car tours, etc. A true defination of a classic car as defined by the CCCA states that the make & model has to be recognized and built prior to 1948. Hagerty has been accepting newer vehicles that are not daily drivers and garaged. I have my 2018 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack insured with them.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting. In CA, a car has to be older then 25 years to be elgible for a historical plate which limits your useage to only drive your car to car events, parades, car tours, etc. A true defination of a classic car as defined by the CCCA states that the make & model has to be recognized and built prior to 1948. Hagerty has been accepting newer vehicles that are not daily drivers and garaged. I have my 2018 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack insured with them.
In PA a car also has to be 25 years old and older to be a true antique with limited use. Then PA has a classic registration whereby a car can be 15 years old. The classic tags are more practical along also with special interest registration.
So if one wants to use their car a little more freely without real strict regulations, then you get the classic or a special interest registration. But for any of the above, if you have a vehicle that had a special purpose such as a dump truck, you can't use it as intended any more.

·
Registered
432 Posts
What are the restrictions that prohibit you to use it as a daily driver? 800 miles a year?
The restrictions are that you cannot use the car as a daily driver. You have to show that you have another car to use as a dd. However, occasional use of the car during the week is permitted. Also, the car is to mainly be used for car activities like C & C's, car shows, and cruises. It is not supposed to be a grocery getter or to take the kids or grandchildren to school, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts