Smart Car of America Forum banner

My 450 is randomly stalling??

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  GatoDiablo 
#1 ·
In recent months, my 450 has stalled in different situations; I'll feel a slight hesitation in the power, then the engine just dies and the "check engine" light flickers on for a second or two. I can restart after a try or two (THANKFULLY!!! The last time this happened was in heavy traffic on the freeway WITH A SEMI BREATHING DOWN MY NECK!). It has stalled at freeway speed, while idling, in slow traffic with the AC on, so there seems to be no definitive reason for stalling.

Took it to my mechanic one, and he had no idea at all about it. (Sadly, I usually have to do all of the footwork when it comes to anything above regular A&B maintenance and parts acquisition...).

Any ideas? Similar experiences?

#2 ·
I know this is an old post but the solution may help others.

I recently (2020) repaired a 450 with a random stalling issue. Replace the crank position sensor. A $20 part from Amazon. Replaceable by the owner if you have a little mechanical ability. It is right below the throttle body and held in with one screw and one electrical connection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.