Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Gas Smart Car with about 40,000 miles.

On Wednesday I washed my car. On Thursday it rained. On Thursday afternoon I was driving home from work and I made a sharp left turn into a drive thru, and I thought a car beeped at me.

I heard a very faint horn like sound. I soon realized, it was my Smart Car making this sound. It makes this sound every time I make a left turn, and it comes from the front of the car. The best way to describe its is a muffled horn sound. Sometimes, it makes this sound when I'm stopping and going, or taking off from a green light. But its always happens when I make a left turn.

I read somewhere that it's my brake pads telling me its time to get them replaced.
I wanted to know if anyone has had this problem, and if it is in fact the brake pads?
Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
It could be that the pads you had are fitted with wear indicators called "screamers", although that's just a random guess from 3000 miles away.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Jack up front of car,or put on lift. spin front driver side wheel by hand and listen. turn wheel sharp to left. spin and listen. repeat other side.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a 2013 Gas Smart Car with about 40,000 miles.

On Wednesday I washed my car. On Thursday it rained. On Thursday afternoon I was driving home from work and I made a sharp left turn into a drive thru, and I thought a car beeped at me.

I heard a very faint horn like sound. I soon realized, it was my Smart Car making this sound. It makes this sound every time I make a left turn, and it comes from the front of the car. The best way to describe its is a muffled horn sound. Sometimes, it makes this sound when I'm stopping and going, or taking off from a green light. But its always happens when I make a left turn.

I read somewhere that it's my brake pads telling me its time to get them replaced.
I wanted to know if anyone has had this problem, and if it is in fact the brake pads?
Thanks!
I had the same problem with my second 451. It turned out to be the clockscrew under the airbag. It only happened whence inside temperature was 120+ degrees.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think he is referring to the clock spring located under the steering wheel. It measures steering angle or steering wheel position.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts