Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving down the highway at 60 mph when I noticed that it seemed to be slowing a bit. I had caught up to a big truck and thought that the air coming off it was slowing me down. It was fairly windy today. I gave it more gas but it wasn't really reacting like it should. I looked at the ultragauge and it was showing 265 degrees. When I let off the gas the engine stopped and I pulled off the road. I got out and saw what was left of the coolant leaking from the front of the car. There were no warning lights at all until the engine stopped. I had it towed home and I have found that the engine turns over but doesn't seem to try to start at all.
My question is...is it likely that the engine is repairable or should I be looking at a new one? By new, I mean used! :)

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Where was the LEAK...
You can buy a GOOD used Smart Car for what MB would charge for a motor... It should have a diagnosis Report with estimate done... Then you can decide what to do next...
How many miles on your car...?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ouch! DId you have work done on it recently? Anything to do with coolant change? I'd like to know where the leak is, too. A good, low-mileage used engine with installation can run up to $2.5K, but if you bide your time, could be much cheaper. In the end, it's just a car. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
What was your Ultra gauge temp alarm set for? As best as I can remember, the overtemp light SHOULD light at 240 and the head gasket is toast at 244 degrees F. I don't recall anyone ever seeing a high temp lamp lit.
Most likely when the engine began to slow was your indication the engine was done.

Staphory, I AM so sorry about your car.

This car is still in dire need of an alternate warning lamp of a coolant loss variety. Then the question is where does one place such a sensor to detect the loss as soon as possible.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Oh no! A reminder of what happened to me. Same thing at 7500 miles. Apparently the coolant cap was missing. Towed to closest dealer. Called Smart. Got new engine for free. So...

1. Year and mileage of your car?
2. Who worked on it last?
3. New engine = $$$!
4. Used engine = ?
5. Good luck and I am truly sorry to hear this happened to you.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
What was your Ultra gauge temp alarm set for? As best as I can remember, the overtemp light SHOULD light at 240 and the head gasket is toast at 244 degrees F. I don't recall anyone ever seeing a high temp lamp lit.
Most likely when the engine began to slow was your indication the engine was done.

Staphory, I AM so sorry about your car.

This car is still in dire need of an alternate warning lamp of a coolant loss variety. Then the question is where does one place such a sensor to detect the loss as soon as possible.
I miss you BB

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry to take so long to respond. I have been very busy.
My smart has 89,950 miles on it. Its a 2009 Cabrio.
The overheat is my fault, mostly.
I hit an animal a couple of months ago. I determined that the damage was mostly cosmetic and elected to keep driving it until i got my taxes paid.
I was accumulating parts to repair it, including a replacement for the bent radiator. For about three months temps were in the 190 range so I guess I got complacent as far as that goes....
The radiator looks like it got cut when the fan support failed. Looks like the fan fell into the radiator and gouged it. I wasn't even aware that the fan turned on, I didn't hear any noise prior to the car losing power.
The ultragauge was removed for a while and used in my other car. I put it back in the smart and I guess I disabled the alarms for some reason. I don't remember doing that but the alarms are disabled.
So, my fault.
I really don't understand why these cars don't warn of an over temp though. I guess MB just doesn't feel its needed?
I guess I'll have to find a new motor. It sucks even more because I still have 10 payments left. Anyway, I hope to get it up and running before the summer is over.
Anybody know if a 2013 model year engine will work in a 2009 car?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts