Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided early on that I wanted to do something with the ends of the De Dion tube under the rear of Max. They collected dirt (of course) and just looked unsightly. I priced the usual caps and they were just too pricey for what they were, so I searched for a solution.
I had bought a fancy bed that had an arched headboard and wardrobes on both sides. At the head of the bed was a compartment for your alarm clock, etc,... and there was a strip that you could touch and there were 2 light cans in the arch to light up. Well the touch system went bad and they came and replaced the whole system with a new one and they left the old parts with me. Well as it happened the cans were the perfect size to fit over the axle tubes.

There was already two holes in the side and four holes facing the back. I decided to fill these with LED's to augment the other lights on the car. I had already spliced into the light wiring for a trailer connector so it made it easy to wire the caps up. The tube is hollow and you can run wires through it from the left side to the right. Then I drilled a hole in the side of the tube on the end behind the right cap and ran the wires up to the right cargo hold with the tailight in it.

There is a rubber grommet in the very bottom of the passenger side taillight cargo hold that you can take out and run the wire up into the cargo hold. I also ran the trailer connector wires and my back up sensors throug the same hole and it filled it up nicely. Be sure to leave some slack in the wiring as the axle does move up and down.To get to the grommet from the bottom, it's right above the pplastic fenderwell, and the grommet faces the BACK of the car. It's easy to feel from the cargo hold, but harder to find from underneath the car. I also used that plastic type wire loom to protect the exposed wiring from cargo hold to the top of the axle.

The type of LED's I bought are the tyoe that plug into your dash lights, but they are much brighter and since they have their own lense and case covering them they are almost impervious to the weather.

I solder wires to the solid wire coming out of the LEDS. Then I use a dab of hot glue over the connections to keep water out of where the wires protrude from the LED. Then I tape the entire end up so there is no shorting. The LED's were a little small to fit in the holes so I took some red wire nuts and cut the pointed end off of them just leaving the winged base part. The LED's just fit in the wire nuts and I super glued them in. The I put the wire nut/LED into the hole on the cap and super glued it in place on the outside and Hot glued what stuck out on the inside.

On the outside edge holes I put red LED's, one on each side and I connected those with my parking lights.

Then the two outside holes facing the rear, I connected with my turn signals which in turn also connects them to the brake lights.

The two rear facing holes in the middle were smaller so I just inserted two white LED's using their own lense. I connected these two to the dome light circuit so that they light when the interior lights come on to light around the back side of the car.

Continued..............

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It's kind of off topic, but I added 2 more LED's on each side under the front bumper too. It's easy to drill the plastic belly pan and super glue them into place.

There's also one on the bottom of each side mirror and one under each door.

I did this because I want it to light up all around the car when I open the door. I live in the country and there are no street lights and when it get's dark, it get's dark. I walk with a cane and it's easy to trip and fall, so the more light the better around the car.

I added one for the ignition switch.

I added three under the dash on each side for the footwells. Two of them light with the dome light, and the third one lights with the parking/headlights are on.

In the cargo area I pput three on each side. Two on the ends for the dome light and one in the middle for the parking/headlight (ambient light).

Now when you use LED's in the dome light circuit you get a little bit of voltage in the circuit when the lights are off because the SAM unit switches the dome light circuit with a transistor. This tiny bit of voltage leak normally would never light the regular incandescent bulb, but it's enough to make an LED glow. So the problem is normal and it won't drain your battery unless you leave the car sitting for months. What I do is I switch the dome light off for all of my normal daily driving and if I know I'm going to be out after dark I just reach up and turn the dome light back on. When I put the car away I switch it off. If I forget it's still okay, the battery won't be dead. But here's a picture of the glow and the camera exaggerates the glow a little. DCO

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're just going to town with those LED's. lol
It's kind of turned into an obsession I guess. My love for gadetry has morphed into LED's. Thank God they are low drain on the electrical system. Since I had to remove the rocker panels to remove the front clip to remove the passenger headlight assembly to fix the adjuster (another post), the rocker panels have become victim to my modding skills. I cut out a part of the rear bumper valance last summer and put red mesh behind it and I like it.

So the rocker panels were laying there and I looked at them and then I cut a part out and meshed them and then I added some LEDS (will be a new post on a day or two). July 31st Max and I will be celebrating our 1st anniversary together, so he has to look good. Maybe we'll go to a parade or something. lol

Here's a sneak peek of the back side of one of them and my famed go to to repair a plastic Smart....Gorilla EPOXY !!!!

MY CURRENT LED COUNT IS 44......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts