Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening I was stopped at an intersection waiting for the crossing traffic to lighten up enough for me & my wife to go right when I got rear-ended. The hit was enough to make a loud bang and jerked us in our seats, I see no damage externally and checked the engine compartment, doesn't look like any damage but it was dark out. I drove it home after we traded info, drove straight, braked straight, don't see any leaks, lights all work, and scangauge showed no overheating. I need to make an appointment at the dealership for an inspection tomorrow.

The driver was a young girl, early 20's, and she said her foot slipped off the brake pedal, sure felt like there was some acceleration in that bump to me! I think she wasn't looking and thought I had turned and she thought she could go. (IMHO)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Back from the dealer, alignment out and the panel over the bumper has gouges & missing paint. Dealer did the alignment, didn't want to buy new tires by letting it slide. Finally got in touch with her ins. co. they say there's no way of knowing whether my car was out of alignment before the accident or not so I doubt they'll pay for that, $140. If they won't pay for the panel I'll just use touch up paint, the dealership wants $340 to replace the panel and I can't afford that. With other costs I'm looking at $510 out of pocket. I can't get my car looked at until Nov 26.

·
17,350 Posts
Thankfully we have inexpensive plastic panels.

Any other traditional car you might have been left with a hefty bill! :eek:

Currently, there's a deep gouge in both of my rear bumpers. I went to dinner at an Old Country Buffet and when I came out, I discovered my car had a nice new burgundy racing stripe!

I don't see how it happened. I parked in the back nowhere near ANY other cars. Yet, there was this burgundy transfer paint and a deep gouge in the two panels (it almost went all the way through).

Worst yet, this particular location did not have outdoor cameras. Lovely.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I'm just FREAKING glad to know that you are ok after the storms this weekend!!

Thankfully we have inexpensive plastic panels.

Any other traditional car you might have been left with a hefty bill! :eek:

Currently, there's a deep gouge in both of my rear bumpers. I went to dinner at an Old Country Buffet and when I came out, I discovered my car had a nice new burgundy racing stripe!

I don't see how it happened. I parked in the back nowhere near ANY other cars. Yet, there was this burgundy transfer paint and a deep gouge in the two panels (it almost went all the way through).

Worst yet, this particular location did not have outdoor cameras. Lovely.

·
17,350 Posts
Thankfully the transfer paint came out with some polish.

The only damage my car sustained during the storms is a heavy hit to my fuel economy! :(

Nearly wide open throttle just to maintain the speed limit!

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts

The only damage my car sustained during the storms is a heavy hit to my fuel economy! :(

Ever hit 3rd gear just trying to maintain 65mph? High winds will do it! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

I made a road trip Saturday up north to South Beloit and north of Bloomington on 39 I had such a tailwind that I was getting 99.6 mpg for several miles according to my scangage. The trip south on Sunday was the opposite. The wind was bad, I saw 5 trucks blown over between Rockford and Bloomington. The wind in northern Illinois doesn't blow, IT SUCKS!:eek: Chumly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts