Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Penske guys in San Berdoo told me mine was the second 451 into California. It says Daimler-Chrysler on the door jam. I paid around 14k. Put a Curt hitch on it and bought a Featherlite aluminum 5x10 flatbed trailer for 2k to haul stuff. Hauled tons and tons of stuff over ten years. I like to haul stuff. The 451 was great.

Picked up a Wildfire trike in Chicago. An E2 golf cart in Lancaster. A load of computers in Houston. Washing machines, scooters, Goldwings, welders, tool chests, canoes, kayaks, building materials, bricks, 3.5-foot boulders, dirt, palm trees, 2-story ladders, firewood, dump loads, sheep, furniture. You wouldn't believe all the stuff I've hauled with that magnificant little car. Never any problem at all. Still on the original brakes. 2nd set of tires. 2nd battery. Pulls half a ton easy and never a pound less than what I would have hauled in my gas hog Dodge dually 1-ton truck except I didn't need to lift anything over 12 inches high, and the Wildfire and the E2 wouldn't have fit in the truck's bed - so the smart's even better!!! Much easier to drive and a whole hell of a lot cheaper to operate. In fact, I recently calculated the gas savings between the 451 and what I would have spent in the Dodge and it came out to 16k gas savings over 10 years. That's right. I saved enough on gas over ten years to pay for the smart and the trailer!!! BTW the Dodge is a wreck and everything on the smart still works! I love my smart. It's a family heirloom. Smart is right! I was smart to buy a smart. Smartest thing I've ever done. Use Mobil 1 and premium gas as designed.

·
17,478 Posts
I remember reading your towing story many many years ago. You were the inspiration for my many shenanigans!

Tucker's helped with the purchase of all three of my motorcycles:

Moving:

More moving:

Ice doesn't even stop me:

A whole furniture set with ease:

Or this dumb nearly 400 pound washer:

I've towed up to 1,500 pounds over 7,000+ miles and the smart is always happy to do it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
What do you limit your top speed to when towing? I plan to pick up (likely) a light Harbor Freight folding trailer, which will allow me to sell my van (which I only use for haulin' large crap).

My understanding is that they're not rated to tow anything, but that everything is kinda rated to do 1,000 pounds with 100-pound tongue weight.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
I tow a light trailer and lawn mower and I can hardly tell it's back there as far as stopping and handling, but you can notice it a little on the hills. I have a 16 ft car hauling trailer that weighs about 1,500 lbs. I have been known to bring it home empty with the Smart. Now I take it very careful when I do because you are pulling almost as much weight as the car weighs, so stopping has to be gradual and I manually shift it at a light load, but it handles it in a pinch but I wouldn't advise it only occasionally. It sure gets me some strange looks towing a trailer twice the length of my little car and I guess I ask for it by doing such a thing. I did try to move my 4,300 chevy 4wd dually pickup one time acrossed the yard and Max just couldn't move it, and again I should have known better. I think Miss Mercedes should just buy a small trailer, she hauls so much and I know rental is cheap, but if she had her own she could go at a moments notice without a trip to the U haul place. So my honest opinion based on my hauling I wouldn't go over 800 pounds trailer weight or 100 pounds tongue weight. You haven't got enough horsepower to hurt much and the computer won't let you over rev or improperly shift, so just be easy on your initial take off to keep from slipping the clutch too much and you should be fine. DCO

·
Registered
905 Posts
Uhaul trailers that a smart can pull rent for $17 total.
Ms Mercedes would have to rent somewhere around 20 times to come close the cost of a cheap Harbor Freight 4x8.
Then there is registration, maintenance, possible storage cost, higher cost if it doesn't fold AND MM isn't locked into one type of trailer. If she needs open, closed or motorcycle trailer, she has those options from UHaul. Her pictures show she rents all types of trailers.
I say, stay with what's cheapest and works for you. Why buy, when renting makes more sense.

·
17,478 Posts
What do you limit your top speed to when towing? I plan to pick up (likely) a light Harbor Freight folding trailer, which will allow me to sell my van (which I only use for haulin' large crap).

My understanding is that they're not rated to tow anything, but that everything is kinda rated to do 1,000 pounds with 100-pound tongue weight.
Guess I'd be the perfect person to answer that question! I'm probably the only person in America who has traveled more miles with a trailer hitched to their smart this year than not.

For starters, I'm an IT analyst by trade. My job is to gather data from a SQL database, interpret said data, then offer the customer solutions for manipulation of the data and fixes for when said data is broken.

I originally started my towing research project in early 2017. I had just discovered that vintage trailers (especially fiberglass ones) often weigh just a bit over 1,000 pounds. My dream camper is (surprise) a U-Haul CT13!

These trailers weigh 1,000-1,100 pounds and are aerodynamic.

Word of mouth says these cars tow about 1,000 max, however I challenge that number. I tried my best to see how much the smart could tow and still move at a legal speed.

I'd say that the car's max safe total trailer weight for highway speed is 1,500 pounds and tongue weight of no more than 200 pounds. Provided the trailer is at least somewhat aerodynamic, you can actually achieve and cruise near top speed while towing and the car won't take incredibly long or hard to do it.

(Don't drive that fast with a trailer, I did that purely for testing purposes on empty roads.)

Things get messy when you introduce wind and shape of trailer. U-Haul's empty motorcycle trailer only weighs 800 pounds, however the ramp acts like an air brake when there isn't a bike in the trailer. That 800 pound trailer then feels like a 1,600+ pound trailer and the car's top speed becomes something like an average of 75 mph. Even DCO's trailer has a big and chunky ramp on the back. Without that ramp (or a shorter one) I guarantee his smart would be better at towing it.

Enclosed trailers are similar with headwinds when they are empty. Since these trailers will be taller than the car, having an aerodynamic profile is crucial. U-Haul's current generation 5x8 enclosed trailer will do top speed in a good headwind, the previous gen ones will slow you down to 65-75.

The dynamics of the enclosed trailers are sort of inverse of the motorcycle trailers. They do drive better with some weight, however if you load them to the brim, the smart will drive like those SUVs you see carrying those crazy long travel trailers and has a similar top speed as them, too.

I concluded my research after 6,000 miles of towing and concluded that the car can easily tow my dream trailer. I've since clocked another 3k miles towing; 300 miles in one night driving across Wisconsin with two 300 pound scooters in a U-Haul motorcycle trailer (1,400 pounds total). I not only kept up with Interstate traffic, but I was passing people.

As DCO said, hills are killer... though that's common even with towing on a larger scale. My mum's Expedition has to drop a gear or two to climb a hill when our travel trailer is hitched on back.

Treat stopping like you would towing any other trailer and you'll do just fine.

Only modifications done to the car are heavier load tyres with stronger sidewalls. The Nankangs I started the testing on sometimes produced some sway on the highway. The Vredesteins I have now do not. I'm considering a transmission cooler for longer drives. Things can get pretty toasty on a hot day and a long, heavy drive.

So to answer your question in a more simple way: Top speed while towing is the top speed of the car unless you crank up the weight or tow something really poorly aerodynamic.

Reactions: Optimist

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
u-haul used to install hitches, but you can get a hitch from Kurt, it comes with instructions and you will have to drill a few holes in the frame. not hard to install. ordered mine off Amazon. they don't reccomend a hitch for the Brabus with the center exhaust as that is where the trailer hooks on

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
On a Brabus. You can use the screw in, tow hook slots. Located on the rear bumper. That’s only to pull a small motor cycle trailer.

In the owners manual. smart doesn’t recommend towing anything with the little car. That doesn’t seem to stop anyone. What’s the manufacturer know. Right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Awesome!!! I just recently picked up a 2014 Smart Fortwo Boconcept, after previously owning a 450 back in Europe in the early 2000's. Man, I forgot how much fun these little guys are!!! This thread is fantastic, cuz it verifies that I'll be able to tow my incoming Happier Camper HC1!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts