Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Replaced today first one i installed 2 weeks ago(sent back to Amazon), to newest Android 5.1 OS
from aliexpress, came(in 7 days) with user manual book but still has minimalist info about manufacturing company(supposed to be Audiosources Electronic Technology (Shenzhen) Co.,Ltd).
This one is with some change on interface.

A link to where you bought this head please?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Still really debating if i want to bite the bullet and just buy one. Maybe try to figure out myself how to wire everything at some point. Like i said before... would be nice if there were wiring diagrams or something to go by for which colored wire on the factory harness is for what speaker. Might have to ask around... see if maybe someone might have some information on that. Wonder if there's some way i could test which wire is for what speaker straight from the wiring harness itself... like ripping apart a crappy pair of earbuds to expose the bare wire, and touching the exposed wire to one of the leads on the harness....

Notice any improvements now that it's running Lollipop? Seems a bit more expensive, too....

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I got my radio in and it's completely installed. 2 Kenwood 6-1/2" 2 ways in the doors. 2 Pioneer 4" 3 ways in the rear quarters under the speaker grills. 1 12" Pioneer shallow subwoofer on package tray. 800 watt Pioneer mono amp under passenger seat and an Alpine 4 channel amp under dash passenger footwell. I am happy with the sound. I didn't like the music app the radio came with so I downloaded "Rocket Player" which has a much better UI. Ability to organized music by genre, artist, album and many more. Shuffle, loop and continuous play. Display has album cover, song and artist using full screen. I bought the camera to use the DVR function. Again, it's very basic and I will be looking for a better app. Camera is very clear and the display is bright and has a very nice picture. Still playing with it but it sounds so much better.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mine just came in the mail today. I thought it was pretty quick with it coming from China in seven days. I hope to install it without too many complications. LOL I got the Bluetooth diagnostic adapter and rear view camera. A little confusing because the manual keeps talking about DVD player and removing transport screws.

·
Super Moderator
28,298 Posts
Not sure which unit you bought but there were two transport screws on the top of the unit I got from China. They need to be removed before installing the head unit. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
This unit doesn't have a DVD player or slot that I can see. I believe it is a universal guide that applies to several radios. I'll post pics in a separate thread so I don't hijack

·
Registered
32 Posts
Replaced today first one i installed 2 weeks ago(sent back to Amazon), to newest Android 5.1 OS
from aliexpress, came(in 7 days) with user manual book but still has minimalist info about manufacturing company(supposed to be Audiosources Electronic Technology (Shenzhen) Co.,Ltd).
This one is with some change on interface.
Hey Paul! I just ordered mine from AliExpress. Since it's been a few months since you posted, I just wanted to see if you had an update for us on how the unit has been working the last few months. What are the pros and cons? I can't wait to get mine. I look forward to reading you response. Thank you!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am not sure where Paul placed his but I learned an old trick from the professional installers that did my first smart car. You don't need to have the antenna exposed for it to work so I just placed it on top of the radio and it's metal chassis before I slid it into the dash

·
Super Moderator
28,298 Posts
For reference

Factory GPS antenna (A2/23) on the 451 is located up in the dash:

The other option is to put it under the service flap/hood and run the wire back to the head unit. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am not sure where Paul placed his but I learned an old trick from the professional installers that did my first smart car. You don't need to have the antenna exposed for it to work so I just placed it on top of the radio and it's metal chassis before I slid it into the dash
Ohh thats cool

I am installing the rear view camera this week, so will do the GPS then as well...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I know.... thread revival..... but just wondering if anyone else who has one of the Android headunits from China has figured out if there is some way to get things to show up in alphabetical/numerical order? I say that, because i've even tried numbering all my music folders so that they would also be in alphabetical order after the numbers (yes... i also started with 01, not just 1), and it STILL wasn't in any remotely recognizable order. Or how you add 3 songs to a folder, and the order completely changes again.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I dowloaded Rocket player and use it to play my music. It has a much better UI and is easier to operate. You can also use Google music. (I don't trust anything Google.)

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,049 Posts
I know.... thread revival..... but just wondering if anyone else who has one of the Android headunits from China has figured out if there is some way to get things to show up in alphabetical/numerical order? I say that, because i've even tried numbering all my music folders so that they would also be in alphabetical order after the numbers (yes... i also started with 01, not just 1), and it STILL wasn't in any remotely recognizable order. Or how you add 3 songs to a folder, and the order completely changes again.
I bought the Atoto radio Android head unit. I installed all my MP3's onto a USB pendrive. I loaded the pendrive on my laptop. All your songs have to painstakingly be in the same syntax with the exact same number of spaces in order for the unit to sucessfully navigate through all the songs. My unit will accept up to a 256 GB pen drive on USB. I presently use a 64 GB one until I save up for a 256 GB one. 64 GB is approximately 11,000 MP3's and I downloaded each one as a single and not as a group in album folders. Here's how I did each one of mine:
Boston - More than a feeling
Journey - Lights
Frank Sinatra - I did it my way
Put band name first then "space" "hyphen" "space". Using a consistent format allows the player to find duplicates and alerts you. It took it maybe 15 to 20 minues after I inserted the pendrive, but it organized all the entries into singles, or albums, or by artist. It even downloaded the album covers just like windows media player does.I guess it uses some online service to accomplish this. I literally spent a couple of weeks of evenings loading the pen drive and being sure all the syntax was correct for every entry.
Now on my Android phone I loaded individuals files and some in folders and some as albums and my phone is a mess with everything random and disorganized like you described. Don't know any easier way to accompish organization and it's tough but the end resut is worth it. DCO

·
Registered
1 Posts
KIT-W997SMTB my answer to the 453 upgrade Alpine iLX-207

KIT-W997SMTB my answer to the upgrade of basic Smart 453 2016 radio with Alpine iLX-207 (US) or other current Alpine with Single DIN and 7" Screens (Originally for INE-W997D in Europe). The KIT-W997SMTB or W radio wiring harness was plug-and-play also the Alpine HCE-C252RD was just a cable, camera to head unit no taps or reverse light run. Green harness speed wire crimped to head unit speed wire was the last step. Not sure it seems VSS (Speed Signal) is required to release safety settings. No, extra parking brake wiring was needed. The kit is not a bypass, just a clean wiring harness that works with standard Smart 453 and new Alpine head units.

Looked at the Alpine Kit W997 Smt Installation Kit Black (Smart Fortwo/Forfour (BR453) with INE-W997D for a year but, it has never to my knowledge been sold in North America. With the iLX-207 coming out a similar Alpine form factor was at my price point and function. So, did a European part order to get KIT-W997SMTB. Everything else Alpine iLX-207 (US) & Alpine HCE-C252RD (US) was ordered from a United States Vendor.

I do not know if this is useful with the JBL speaker package or the navigation package, it won't be a simple plug n' play per Alpine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just bought a 453 Cabriolet, am searching for a retrofit head unit with Apple CarPlay. The only unit I have found is the Alpine unit but I don't like the look of the square head unit stuck into the oval pod for the Smart. The Chinese units look nice and match the OEM look better but I can't find one with CarPlay. Does anyone know of a source where I can get one?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just bought a 453 Cabriolet, am searching for a retrofit head unit with Apple CarPlay. The only unit I have found is the Alpine unit but I don't like the look of the square head unit stuck into the oval pod for the Smart. The Chinese units look nice and match the OEM look better but I can't find one with CarPlay. Does anyone know of a source where I can get one?
Buy the android head unit in this thread, and also buy below dongle from Amazon. Problem solved. I have this combination, and both of my iPhone and Android phone work well.

https://www.amazon.com/ATOTO-AC-CPAA48-Smartphone-Receiver-Adapter/dp/B07G154X9R/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1537932174&sr=8-6&keywords=apple+carplay+dongle

41 - 60 of 60 Posts