Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed the purchase of a 1960 Met. Black & white two-tone, inside and out. The previous owner had lots of refurbishing done at Metropolitan Pit Stop in North Hollywood. When I drove it 38 miles to my nephew's place, I knew it needed more, so it's back at the Pit Stop for steering/suspension work, new fluids, etc. The car looks good, but needs a bit of body repair here and there where old repairs are failing. Probably will get a few new sections of rocker panels. Anyway - that's what I've been up to. Still have the smart, of course. The two cars are pretty much night and day, different from one another - except they're both pretty high on the cuteness scale.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I like your friends car, too. If my smart was a cabrio, I probably would have looked for a Met hardtop. Seems like the demographic of the Met clubs puts me among the younger members, while in the smart world I feel like one of the old guys.
:laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, much of the car is Austin. They were all built in Birmingham, England. I'm having the differential gears replaced with 3.9 ratio ones from an MG Midget. That way I can do 65mph without the motor roaring. I wish it had a 4 speed trans. When you're on the freeway it's like the car is pleading to shift one more time. I've only had it up to 57mph (I think). The speedo needle flips back & forth wildly, which is another thing I'm getting fixed. The three speed "on the tree" was a design decision to make the car familiar to Americans in the 1950's. These cars were supposed to be competition for the VW Beetle & Renault Dauphine. I think the Dauphine is the most rare of the three now.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
One of my friends here, has a red and white one. She belongs to a large Metropolitan club.

You have a nice car.
Two things: Beautiful black cat in your picture. and, There is no such thing as a large Metropolitan. :D
Congratulations MikeB1 on your new Baby. I've seen speedometer needles do that jumping thing before and if I recall correctly, lubrication of the internal speedometer drive cable fixes that. White lithium grease maybe, or would a dry Teflon lubricant spray be better?
One of my neighbors had a metropolitan to commute to work in. It was featured in every parade. Enjoy!
By the way, what is the gross vehicle weight of the Metropolitan? Bet it weighs more than your smart!

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I enjoyed my Metro. It had a Chevy 2.8 V6 and auto. No problems on the freeway.
Wow, that must have been fun! And there was probably still a bit of room under the hood...ok, maybe not too much. People have been so creative with these cars, I'm constantly amazed. Mine is going to stay fairly stock. It's tempting to put Sprite or Midget front disc brakes in it, but since I'll only drive it 500 miles a year, probably not worth the trouble.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, it's perfect for parades. Thanks for the tip about the speedo cable, BB Benz. Maybe that'll help the door locks and stiff window mechanicals, too. One thing - I am so happy that I'll never use it as a daily commuter. Did that for 18 years in a 1974 Alfa Spider (which I loved) but all those new-fangled air bags, cruise controls, A/C, and - gasp - power windows, steering and brakes have me spoiled.
:D

·
17,353 Posts
I fell in love with the Metro when I saw one at the local annual Antioch Car Show last summer. The owner restored it, painted it in a very nice pearl orange, and had the interior restored in a very stunning leather. That car screamed class...

Hope you enjoy it!!! :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just completed the purchase of a 1960 Met. Black & white two-tone, inside and out. The previous owner had lots of refurbishing done at Metropolitan Pit Stop in North Hollywood. When I drove it 38 miles to my nephew's place, I knew it needed more, so it's back at the Pit Stop for steering/suspension work, new fluids, etc. The car looks good, but needs a bit of body repair here and there where old repairs are failing. Probably will get a few new sections of rocker panels. Anyway - that's what I've been up to. Still have the smart, of course. The two cars are pretty much night and day, different from one another - except they're both pretty high on the cuteness scale.

Very cool and quicker than your Smart!!! Ummm kidding but maybe close? I actually rebuilt the engine (twice .... basically an MG) in one of those around 1974 in high school. It was old then. As I recall it was a 3 main bearing crank not 5. Anyway, it loved to snap cranks in half. The problem was that we could only find 30 under and even worse cranks in 1974. And those were even worse than stock because they had been turned a few times and were even lots weaker. I was very happy when my buddy sold his!!!

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, a bit lighter, and the rear track width is only 44.8" - so if I rent a conventional auto transport trailer, I'm told I have to "put a board down" to accommodate the narrow width.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@JetProvost - you're right, 3 main bearings. Checking with the shop that did the overhaul in 2011 to see what's what. Trying to prevent your post from "harshing my buzz" as the kids say.

·
Registered
300 Posts
@JetProvost - you're right, 3 main bearings. Checking with the shop that did the overhaul in 2011 to see what's what. Trying to prevent your post from "harshing my buzz" as the kids say.

My buddy lived in San Bernardino but went to a JC in Yucaipa. He had to pull a hill a couple miles long everyday. The Metro was not happy with that. It had a 30 under crank. The first failure split the crank in the center main bearing. You would have never guessed it would break in the middle of where it was supported? Anyway it may have lasted forever just putting around town with no hills. He finally sold it (thank you God) to a guy that put a late 5 main bearing MGB motor in it. It broke the crank the third time with him and trashed the block. I think he was finally good with that 5 main bearing engine.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Say, does anybody have advice about trailering this narrow track car home? I'm borrowing step-son's new Tacoma 4wd V-6 truck, and need to rent a trailer.

I've already decided to go on HWY 101 to avoid the long steep grind of The Grapevine on I-5.

To repeat something I already posted: the rear track width is only 44.8" - so if I rent a conventional auto transport trailer, I'm told I have to "put a board down" to accommodate the narrow width. Which I'm pretty sure U-Haul wouldn't want to knowingly let me do... are there other trailers that would work for this narrow, 1,800 lb. car?
:eek:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts