Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Query to the assembled masses ...

Are you keeping/have you kept a second car after getting your smartcar? If so, what kind of car is it, and why are you keeping it (or why not)?

Currently, I have an Outback and I plan on keeping it. With a kid, a dog, a small boat that sometimes needs to be towed, and a love of skiing and kayaking, the smart won't be enough for me. However, living in Philly, we have a great car share program and I can see myself, in the future, dumping the Outback and using a carshare car for the times I need more room. But I can't yet wrap my mind around not having my own "hauling" car.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, I drive a '97 Pathfinder with about 70k miles on it. I bought (or will when I get it) the smart car to be my main "commuting and get around town car" but plan on keeping the Pathfinder for long trips. Plus, my wife would kill me if I get rid of the Pathfinder since she wanted that car for so long!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a car problem so I wont give the full list here but the car the smart "replaced" is a 1993 Caprice Wagon which I will still keep.

The smart is my 140 mile a day road warrior, the wagon hauls the dogs or lumber or anything else that wont fit in a smart.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well, I drive a '97 Pathfinder with about 70k miles on it. I bought (or will when I get it) the smart car to be my main "commuting and get around town car" but plan on keeping the Pathfinder for long trips.
I suspect a lot of folks will have the SUV/smart combo. I'm keeping my XTerra for long trips, lugging loads, or, of course, those upstate New York snowstorms. But as it gets older, it gets horrible gas mileage, so I can't wait to stop spending $50 every five days on gas!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a 1993 Jeep Cherokee which I purchased in September, 2007, from US Government surplus. I have the Jeep so that we have a four door vehicle and a 4x4 for our yearly trip to Colorado.

·
Super Moderator
28,836 Posts
Moved to the Car Lounge since the thread is about...other cars.

We have a 76 Mini, an 03 Corvette and a 96 Town Car. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ours is an '06 Ford E350 deisel, converted to a camper. It has water, refrigerator, microwave and (perhaps most importantly) a porta-potty! We'll be retired soon and with the van towing the Smart, there won't be anywhere we can't go.

If you pass a great "white whale" towing a red/silver Smart, be sure to wave. It will be us, on our way to another adventure.

·
Registered
197 Posts
smart will be my only car. I turned in my leased Lexus 330 a month early. Hubby drives a Dodge Stratus. We've never had and never will have an SUV or light truck type of vehicle. We have no young children and no pets, so that's not an issue. If I really needed to haul anything I could borrow my dad's Chevy HHR.

·
Registered
383 Posts
late '06 Subaru Outback. got the top carrier also. great car for me & the family when we need to go someplace all together! :)

(very happy with it, BTW. great car).

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Different cars for different uses:

Roberta's daily driver:

My daily driver:

My track/fun car:

For Costsco, Home Depot, and ski trips only:

** David :D

·
Registered
599 Posts
We have an LR3 that I now use sparingly, and the wife picked up a brand-new accord coupe a couple months ago.

So I drive the smart as much as I can nowadays, the wife takes the accord and the LR3 sits on the driveway and gets taken out on special occasions. :D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
My car is a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited and gets 13 MPG, the smart will become my primary vehicle if it ever gets here.

·
Registered
52 Posts
2000 Tyota Echo, 91 Miat limited edition, 69 Fiat 500L, 65 Auto Bianchina Berlina. My Smart is my weekend car. Trade off between the Echo and Miat every other week. Fiat and Auto Bianchina Berlina are show cars. If you thought you were getting good MPG in your 3 cylinder Smart well just imagin what I get in my 2 cylinder Fiat and Auto Bianchina Berlina. Hehehe!

·
Registered
146 Posts
2003 Honda Element AWD. Great small but large SUV
2007 Toyota Prius - Wife's car. Great car
My wife has an Element as well. I'm hoping she won't fall in love with the smart car so that I can drive it while she stays on the Element. That thing gets pretty good gas mileage and turns wonderfully.

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty, 3.7L V6 4X4, Traded wife's 2001 New Beetle GLX Turbo for the smart and for fun a 1959 Land Rover 109 Regular for the little trips for plants and lumber. Gave my 2001 all black New Beetle Sport Turbo to my son when he got out of the Marines.

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
my smart will replace my '03 Toyota Corolla as my '70 miles/day to-and-from work car'. great car, great MPG's, just 'bla'.....i'm keeping the '07 Jeep Compass for the weekend trips and vacations, hauling 'stuff' and whatever else we can think of using it for.

that is.....IF i ever get my smart:rolleyes:

·
Banned
629 Posts
I'm not really replacing another car with a Smart, I'm choosing to buy it over buying another Lotus Elise. I'll be keeping the '08 Hemi Commander 4x4 Gas Sucking Hate Tank as well as the manual tranny PT Cruiser so The Boy can learn how to drive a stick (everyone should know how to drive a stick!).

The Boy has already said he wants a Smart, so I'm getting two, apparently. :rolleyes:

Your pal,
Meat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
other vehicles in the house

I drive a 2003 Ford F-150 harley davidson edition pickup.
I ride a 2005 Harley Davidson Fatboy CVO screamin eagle.
I drive my 2008 Smart Passion Cabriolet.

Wife drives a large SUV company vehicle.
Wife drives a 2001 PT Cruiser.
Wife rides a 1977 Harley Shovelhead.
Wife rides a 1997 Harley Sportster.
Wife rides a 2000 Harley Springer.

No one else in our house....we have waaay too many vehicles.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts