Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone got the passenger side front fender and door.

Nice!

Replacement panels are on order. I may install them myself but I can't find where to buy a service manual for the car any ideas?

Good thing I didn't catch them. I was legally parked with no other car within 3 feet of mine.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts

Nice!

Replacement panels are on order. I may install them myself but I can't find where to buy a service manual for the car any ideas?

Good thing I didn't catch them. I was legally parked with no other car within 3 feet of mine.
Gotta love a-holes that have no respect for other folks property. Had a guy park me into a spot when I was in college. We had one wide parking spot in the main lot, and a-holes were always trying to double park in it instead of parking in the overflow. I literally had to crawl in the passenger side of my truck to get out. Plus discovered the door ding he left in my drivers door trying to get out of his Jeep. I keep a basic tool kit in my vehicles, and I just so happened to have a schrader valve tool in my box. Before I departed, all of his tire valves found their way into the bushes in the landscaping.... Simply pumping up his tires wasn't going to get him home....>:D I didn't destroy anything, but he wasn't getting home quickly that night either...

Never saw him in that lot again...

Probably not the smartest thing I ever did, and I don't recommend it, but sometimes karma is a b*tch...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly... no:

I did ask my sales person if I can buy a manual from her dealership.

The dealer I use for service said the car was too new they haven't done any panel swaps yet.

·
Registered
341 Posts

Nice!

I tried to order a replacement hood panel for my 453 and was told I could only get one primed, not painted and would have to take it to a body shop to be painted. And then when I called the body shop recommended by the MB dealer, the shop said, "We don't paint SmartCar panels as we just order them painted." When I explained that this was not so with the 453s, he called me back to say, "Yep, you're right. But we still won't repair or paint a panel for you. We don't do plastic like that." So I gave up and am living with the gauge in my hood for now.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When the panels are ordered, a paint code is required so I don't think they come in primer.

Also, getting the instructions for how to swap the panels myself.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Sorry about your smartie!!! Mine has taken a bullet (the hole is still there), been paintballed no less than three times, and keyed on the tailgate... It's a hard life for a smart out there!!!

That said, I've read the whole "dealers won't sell painted panels for 453s" thing on other threads before, so I hope there is a dealer who does.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Gotta love a-holes that have no respect for other folks property. Had a guy park me into a spot when I was in college. We had one wide parking spot in the main lot, and a-holes were always trying to double park in it instead of parking in the overflow. I literally had to crawl in the passenger side of my truck to get out. Plus discovered the door ding he left in my drivers door trying to get out of his Jeep. I keep a basic tool kit in my vehicles, and I just so happened to have a schrader valve tool in my box. Before I departed, all of his tire valves found their way into the bushes in the landscaping.... Simply pumping up his tires wasn't going to get him home....>:D I didn't destroy anything, but he wasn't getting home quickly that night either...

Never saw him in that lot again...

Probably not the smartest thing I ever did, and I don't recommend it, but sometimes karma is a b*tch...

I have not tried this but I heard that using some adhesive on a BB inside the air valve cap will drive them insane. Tightening the cap causes the valve to slowly leak air, adding air and putting the cap on doesn't help... Of course I would never do this to someone's car (or truck) Just thought it was an interesting idea. Just heard it somewhere. I would never suggest causing someone causing a problem like this but Karma is a is a b*tch as you say...
>:D

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the instructions for removing the panels. They are quite lengthy. I may or may not tackle this. The dealer estimated 90 minutes.

I wonder how many beers it will take me if I try.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I have the instructions for removing the panels. They are quite lengthy. I may or may not tackle this. The dealer estimated 90 minutes.

I wonder how many beers it will take me if I try.

Probably not so bad when you limit yourself to just two panels. I'm sure there is a learning curve – sometimes instructions are more intimidating than the reality. Maybe buy a few beers for the tech as s/he's leaving work? If you're drinking them yourself, you may end up scratching your new panels and having to start all over again!

·
Registered
4,476 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Traditionally, MB does not allow 3rd parties to publish manuals for their cars. Maybe in the future that will change *(we can only hope)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The dealer has to pay a subscription in order to access the repair procedures which are posted electronically. The only way to know how to do "everything" would be to print them out and scan them as has been done for older Mercedes models.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts