Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's some seriously damaging construction going on just down the road from me.
Steep drops and elevated manhole covers that felt like running over speed bumps at full force.
One of my tires completely flattened after the traumatic event.

So frustrating that I'm close to various kinds of tire stores, and yet they say they have none my size.
What is the best online site I can buy just one tire on?
(Or maybe a whole new set of 4 if the price is decent!)

Any help would be appreciated to the fullest.

:smartje.rd.zw:​

·
17,479 Posts
Honestly, I dumped the stock tyre sizes as soon as I could. Get whatever you want that will fit on the rim and not rub. 9 times out of 10, I bet you'll gain better handling and better comfort depending on what you decide. Tyre shops near me never carry the stock sizes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, I dumped the stock tyre sizes as soon as I could. Get whatever you want that will fit on the rim and not rub. 9 times out of 10, I bet you'll gain better handling and better comfort depending on what you decide. Tyre shops near me never carry the stock sizes.
What would you recommend other than the stock ones? And, I agree. I've been wary of the tires that've been on them ever since I bought the car almost a year ago today. I can't say for sure, but I want to assume that they're the original tires since the car was made, back in 2008.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
There's some seriously damaging construction going on just down the road from me.
Steep drops and elevated manhole covers that felt like running over speed bumps at full force.
One of my tires completely flattened after the traumatic event.

So frustrating that I'm close to various kinds of tire stores, and yet they say they have none my size.
What is the best online site I can buy just one tire on?
(Or maybe a whole new set of 4 if the price is decent!)

Any help would be appreciated to the fullest.

:smartje.rd.zw:​
Tirerack is probably your best bet......:) It may be an illusion ,but it looks like the top of the rim in the picture is bent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tirerack is probably your best bet......:) It may be an illusion ,but it looks like the top of the rim in the picture is bent.
I wouldn't doubt it, honestly. There's a ridiculous amount of potholes and such in my area.
Also, thank you!! I think I just found my new set of tires to look forward to.​

·
Registered
271 Posts
You need to look at the inboard side of the rim to make sure it is still serviceable. The stock rims are soft, and those puny front tires let the wheels take a beating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to look at the inboard side of the rim to make sure it is still serviceable. The stock rims are soft, and those puny front tires let the wheels take a beating.
Oh absolutely. And a world of beating they've been through.
Though, do you think I'd probably be better off getting a whole new set of tires and wheels/rims all together?​

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
The old gentleman who had Max before I got him must have found a pothole or two. I first found that the belly pan by the passenger front fender was scuffed and broken. Then when I removed the passenger front side tire I found this:

Believe it or not the cars doesn't shimmy at all even at high speed, but when I inflate it to 29 lbs, within a couple of days it's down to 21 lbs and therefore lights the tmps light on the dash. Now if I'm lazy and don't air it back up to 29 lbs it will stay at 21. You can see black sealer on the bead. I need to get all four rims checked because a couple others have battle bends in them although not as bad as this one. The chrome is peeling on the rear ones, so they need a complete recondition. I really want to get them redone and chromed so they are like new again. The chrome design 5 wheels are pretty rare here in the states, that's why I want to keep them and get them chromed. I don't like the black coated ones. These sort of remind me of the SS Cragars I used to run on my cars back in the day. DCO

·
Registered
105 Posts
A good application for a lead or copper hammer, once the tire is off. Straighten it back up, use a fill to dress any sharp edges...likely will be fine.

·
17,479 Posts
What would you recommend other than the stock ones? And, I agree. I've been wary of the tires that've been on them ever since I bought the car almost a year ago today. I can't say for sure, but I want to assume that they're the original tires since the car was made, back in 2008.
150/50/15 all around would give the best handling. Go for something like 185/55/15 for better comfort while having good handling. And I know some here have figured out how to put 60 profile tyres too. :)

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
150/50/15 all around would give the best handling. Go for something like 185/55/15 for better comfort while having good handling. And I know some here have figured out how to put 60 profile tyres too. :)
Does that go for the 2016's as well? Not in the market for a while as we just took delivery Friday but I'd like to smooth out the ride any way possible.

·
17,479 Posts
No idea, we pretty much built the unofficial 451 wheel size guide based on trial and error, so we have to do the same for the 453.

If you can get the wheel size numbers for the 453, you can back them against a reference guide from TireRack to see what's the largest/smallest tires you can fit on the rims...but the biggest hindrance will be clearance between wheels and body. And unfortunately unlike the 451, I don't think the 453 will be okay with rubbing.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If those are stock front (15"x4.5") rims on the car then I can tell you what Discount Tire told me when I went to 195/55/15s on 15"x5.5" rims in all 4 corners.

I used one of my 15"x4.5" front rims as a spare until I could buy a 5th rear rim. Discount Tire told me that the maximum size tire for the 15"x4.5" rim is 175/55/15. In other words, the OE rear tire can fit on the front rims. So, for a while, my spare was just that.

·
Banned
844 Posts
i'm going to go with 185/60-15's, have 195/50-15's now, 15x6 wheels all around. you can get new wheels from tirerack for $95, if you buy a wheel & tire they'll mount them and ship them to you. my tirerack is about 100 miles away, so i'll just drive there.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Wheels America and Wheel Collision Center are two repair places, which also have exchange available depending on stock.

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
i'm going to go with 185/60-15's, have 195/50-15's now ...
I've had 195/50r15 on four corners for years now. No complaints here. I like the appearance of the wider tires and the handling/road grip is pretty impressive.
Specifically ...
195/50r15 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S on rears
195/50r15 BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 on fronts

I'm in the early stages of considering my next set of tires.
What improvement would going to 185/60 offer over what I've got now? I am asking you because we currently have the same size.

Do you expect the 185/60s to give a smoother ride? Are they easier to find? No place in town here carries the 195/50r15, although they can order them (as can I).

·
Banned
844 Posts
I've had 195/50r15 on four corners for years now. No complaints here. I like the appearance of the wider tires and the handling/road grip is pretty impressive.
Specifically ...
195/50r15 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S on rears
195/50r15 BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 on fronts

I'm in the early stages of considering my next set of tires.
What improvement would going to 185/60 offer over what I've got now? I am asking you because we currently have the same size.

Do you expect the 185/60s to give a smoother ride? Are they easier to find? No place in town here carries the 195/50r15, although they can order them (as can I).
No.1 yes, a softer ride, No.2 easier to find/less expensive. You live in Florida, no snow, I'm outside Chicago, I do have a dedicated set of snows, but I can't install them for another month, I'm limited to lifting 10 pounds and I'm on the 3rd floor, I have to take the snows down 4 flights of stairs and big alloys up 4 flights of stairs. The tires I've had for the last 6 years are Kumho Ecsta's and they maybe have one more summer in them and they SUCK in the snow. I'm replacing them with 185/60-15 General Altimax RT43's which are the highest rated all season tires, great snow traction and long tire life. While I've enjoyed 6 summers with the 195's, I think the 185's will perform within 10% of the 195's on cornering. You can ask Neon about the Kumho's, she's got the same ones. Personally, I never want to see snow again, the only way that happens is if I win the lotto.

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
No.1 yes, a softer ride, No.2 easier to find/less expensive. You live in Florida ...
I appreciate the feedback. Availability is a worthy consideration for sure. No need to rub it in that I live in Florida ... I'm reminded daily by the gawd awful weather. It's great for lizards, but I'm a mammal. Usually hibernating in the A/C.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts