Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooooo...

I said a late hello i posted few posts while looking for a Smart so it is time to flood you with questions! :D

This is Cigaro!

[/url]

I feel like a total ***** now... I was laughing at Smarts for years. Now I have one and this is one of the best cars I owned. As all cars it has it's +&- but in over all a total winner.

Still tho have few weird things that I noticed :D

Electric windows - left is going automatically down but not up and the right on otherwise ... wut ? :D
Does this car ask for service check up? With a wrench on LCD display?
Panoramic roof - I am missing the cover for it and it is really hard to find a new/used one. I found only one on ebay... are those kind of things so rare or am I just searching badly? :O
The gearbox - I mostly drive 50-60 km/h and with that speed transmission stops changing at 3rd gear... is this normal? I change it after by hand...

I plan to install electric mirrors, glovebox, cruise control, front camera, some space organizers refresh and paint brake clamps and after two or three years completely refresh the interior with new custom colors:)

First few days I was freaking out that my gearbox is malfunctioning with reverse gear but after I found out how to use it and everything is just fine!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey : )

Sadly in Netherlands those kind of places are not very hum...often to be seen : P And prices are super retarded :D I found one on ebay for 200euro which is imo A LOT! :D or am I mistaken ? :) I am almost thinking about making one myself :p

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
the roof shades are easily damaged and they are not cheap.In the US, the windows do not go up automatically as the government likes to control everything and they are concerned that someone could get trapped with the auto up feature. The trans shifting is probably different in countries other than the US so that may be normal for your car.

Welcome to the group!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey ! : )

Please tell me you are joking about electric windows because this is way to hard to belive haha :D I noticed that parts for Smarts in general are quite expensive but hey it is a car those always costs alot :D

I just came back from examining my engine bay and I noticed something I didn't seen when I was buying it. I think my engine or was repaired or... I had a swap :D Not that it bothers me it runs well but I will see is it eating oil :) Half a bar on stick will check in two weeks did it went lower.

Speaking of oil... as I wrote earlier I have 0w50...lol I will be changing it soon anyway ( for the peace of mind even when it looks quite clean and transparent ) and I was thinking about valvoline or royal purple 5w40. Anyone tried those brands? I want to give my car the best of possible so it can serve me well and long :D I intend do drive that car as a 60 years old granny :D:D And occasionally a Smart roadster that I hope to buy next year : ) ( occasionally because it is hard to get in and out from such a car with that age haha :D )

I also have a feeling that my battery is close to an end. My windows make a "tik" sound when I use them when the car is off. But when the engine is running it is ok. So I think it is the battery.

I am terribly annoyed that I don't have a glovebox... I checked some topics and got a bit confused.

08 09 10 11 12 13 SMART FORTWO GLOVE BOX 4516892853 KEY OEM | eBay

https://www.kunzmann.de/shop/en/tuning-styling-smart-fortwo-451-cover-flap-for-glovebox-original-accessories.htm#bewertungen

As I looked it up in few threads not only here I seen the glovebox from first link... what is that second one then? Some kind of a cheat shortcut version ?:D

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
You are talking to one of those Darn Americans and as such, we are limited in the cars that are allowed here. we have the EPA which has their hand in everything. Just to bring a roadster into the US, once it is purchased and shipped here, must go to an importer and be modified to the tune of around $35,000 to make it legal to drive on the street. that is if it isn't on the list of cars not allowed into the US.

Most all the smarts here have glove box covers, except for some custom ordered ones, and we only have Pure, Passions, and Cabriolets, except for a few Brabus which is only an appearance package and not turbocharged.

When the oil is changed, it uses just about 3.7 qts and most places around here underfill it. As long as the oil meets the manufacturers specs, you can use whatever you want.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW : O That is bad but I am with you ppl... here in NL we have retarded restrictions aswell. The heavier car you buy the more taxes you pay... So I know the feeling. It is stupid to be limited because somebody told you so.... REBEEEEL! :D

So yeah I got you... it sucks. I always wanted a Mustang but just owning one, not even driving it would make me live in a box under the bridge... madness.

Still surprising to be honest... I always thought "AMERICA **** YEAH" and that kind of stuff.... if anything I would think you guys have the car heaven... : ( Fell sorry for you : (

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
Not so sure on US regulations prohibiting automatic up on windows unless that regulation went into affect in the last few years. I have another Mercedes that has the auto up and auto down feature. Had an SLK that only had the auto down feature - I figured the convertible top limited it?

Len
2014 EV Coupe 11,950 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 975 miles

·
Registered
922 Posts
I mostly use the A/C when I need cooling air, but I notice in my 2015 ED that the first lowering of the window doesn't seem to have auto down, but if you lower it a little bit and then lower it a bit more, then it goes down all the way unless the switch is reversed momentarily to cancel the auto-lowering. I think it does that on both the driver and passenger side.

Now I'm curious and will play with it a bit more to see what the actual behavior is.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,756 Posts
MY15 ED Operators Manual page 76 and what Stretch said.

Auto down is first default unless you interrupt with an up pull.

Auto up, not an option (child safety?) without holding switch up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good because that sounded unbelievable :D But I can believe weird stuff - one more from NL.... if you drive a diesel you pollute environment so you have to pay an extremely big tax... just because it is a diesel :D

It is bad... soon they will be telling us what we will be driving. I don't like it it takes freedom of choice away :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts