Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the last few days my smart car has started making a groaning noise. I am not mechanically savvy so I would like some opinions on how to go about troubleshooting the issue.

The noise mostly occurs and is the loudest when I turn the steering wheel to the left, but it also sometimes happens if I hit a bump in the road or when I apply the brakes. If i nudge my steering wheel to the right a good bit while driving, it will go away until the next time one of these things happens.

The weather hasn't really allowed me to get out and thoroughly examine the car yet, but I took a peek under the vehicle and nothing is visibly out of place or hanging down. Can anyone suggest the best place to start looking to diagnose the the problem?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I found a video from a guy with the same problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alx8ZeWFjFM

That is the exact noise it is making and it happened to him when he turned left, so I am inclined to think I might have the same issue. There has been allot of road work around my area and the intersection I pass daily outside my neighborhood has about 4 or 5 bumps equivalent to the size of a speed bump. Maybe passing over it daily could have bent my break wear indicator.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Get some ceramic brake pads. No more dirty brake dust. Buy a couple good new quaility rotors too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts