Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new here but I just wanted to see what you guys think of my new Smart Roadster. It's a 2004 model (non brabus, sadly) and has the 16" Spikeline Alloys (my favourites), heated leather seats and air conditioning.

I wish it had the Paddle Shift on the steering wheel but sadly, it doesn't. I bought it used so I didn't have a choice. Anyway, onward to the pictures...

I hope everyone likes it, I don't think this model is available in the USA so I thought I'd share it with you all.

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
That is awesome... I know there is no word of us getting anything like this soon but can you describe your driving experiences with this model.

How does it handle?

Is it sporty?

How does the transmission feel?

And does the car have enough power?

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Nice, I like it! I've only seen the roadster in a few smaller photos, didn't think much about either way. But your full size photos really make it look nice!

- thanks for sharing! :)

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
The final Smart Roadster ran off the production line on November 4, 2005...or did it?

The Smart Roadster (Project Kimber) will live to roar again. The Kimber Group has assembled a team of the very best to revitalize MG sports cars, using technology from the Smart car brand.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
It's hard for me to believe that MB would not reintroduce the roadster. I am guessing once the ForTwo is successfully introduced, the roadster and ForFour will folow behind in 4-5 years. Witness the introduction of the MINI cabrio in year 4 and the MINI Clubman in year 6. A Brabus Roadster would fly out of the showroom. By the time they might be available, the dealers won't be held to MSRP, and the initial units would go at $5k++ over MSRP.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Although I like the looks of the roadster, it could not replace my S-2000 in looks OR speed. Now...if they were to make an electric version that I know would be faster, I would reconsider in a heartbeat.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Although I like the looks of the roadster, it could not replace my S-2000 in looks OR speed. Now...if they were to make an electric version that I know would be faster, I would reconsider in a heartbeat.
I'm thinking the Brabus Roadster is really a competitve threat to the S2000. The 0-60 time on both are about the same. See the attached review on the Brabus Smart Roadster: Brabus Roadster Review

Low speed accelleration actualy ought to be quicker in the Brabus as it has a lower weight to power ratio than the Honda ( 11.0 lbs/hp vs 11.8 for the S2000)

BTW, your S2000 is a better looker!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Smart Roadster

I am so envious. We may see the Roadster in the future here in the USA but for now we are just lucky the Four2 is coming. I would buy a roadster Brabus in a hearbeat. They could not keep enough of them in the showroom here. :(

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
that's my modified roady!!

All is designed by me! there's no help by Chip Foose...lol!!

I absolutely LOVE THAT COLOR!!! I painted my '67 Sunbeam Tiger something close to that color years ago....
That's a beautiful car you have there, MrJandro!!! I like it alot! :D

John

·
Registered
91 Posts
That is awesome... I know there is no word of us getting anything like this soon but can you describe your driving experiences with this model.

How does it handle?

Is it sporty?

How does the transmission feel?

And does the car have enough power?
As I've not see any answers to the questions and because I've one roadster let me explain you how it works.

First of all: When you want to go onboard. You don't seat in, you go down to find the seat witch is very low. Then you deploy your legs to find the pedals. the driving position is something like in catheram super seven somewhere between being seated and being lying
Your eyes are just in the strait line of the other cars projectors ( very very sweet in nightime lol)
You don't see the front end of the car but the two "bulbs" of the body for the wheels.

Ignition: The engine is realy roaring on your back. There is only the fuel tank between him and you LOVELY
inside the car there is not a feeling to be enclosed although the super tiny small windows. the interior is clear and look comfy. (even if the plastics are really poor and really fragile. be carefull of the scratch)
Now the engine is warm we could play gently. Few pressure on the accelerator and the turbo start to sing. at 3000rpm the small 700cc 82hp suprex engine starts to be more efficient. release the pedal and the valve sing like a little bird to decrease the pressure "psheeeeeett".

between 5000 and 6000rpm this is where the roaring machine on your back is the most vocal. it soun like a much much bigger engine.

Just front of you the straight line disapear to gives your some good turns. The sterring wheel ( without any assistance on mine) is really really light ( i don't want to imagine what it is with the assist) and direct. The smallest movement on the sterring wheel is reproduce by the landscape. INCREDIBLE
the car turn perfectly straight no body movement. This is a real pleasure

It's time to pull off the roof. Just have to push a button and few seconds later it"s done. Without the roof it start to be really noisy around 60MpH
but it's what happen on the most of convertible.

this bendy road needs you to make several gear shift and whatever the others say's it's not so slow than they says. Sure it's not quick as a ferrari f1 gearbox but it's enought when you know how to use it. When you drive for the first time it's hard not to be shake when you shift up or down but with time.... you are still shake sometimes (only when you turn mad and try to chase the car in front of you lol)

Is the engine strong enought I would say not enought for the chassis but hightly enought to have great pleasure. I'm sure the chassis could accept 100HP more without problem but it's not the smart spirit. 82hp are the point of balance between good sensations and reason.
If you try one of these little monster you will want to have one and never quit it. Never

·
Super Moderator
28,920 Posts
I am so envious. We may see the Roadster in the future here in the USA but for now we are just lucky the Four2 is coming. I would buy a roadster Brabus in a hearbeat. They could not keep enough of them in the showroom here. :(
Bob,

The roadster is dead (or, c'est mort :)) in Europe, along with the forfour. Unless you import one used it's a 451 or nothing for us. Too bad (or quelle pitié.)

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts