Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got hit in an intersection by a Dodge Intrepid. The smart was hit pretty hard right on the front right side, just in front of the front wheel.
The impact turned my car about 90 degrees to the left, and I was able to pull it to the side of the road.
I tried to slip it into park, but something was wrong with the shifter. I managed Neutral, and I ran to check on the other people.

Their airbags engaged, and the entire drivers side quarter panel was bent up, the headlight destroyed, and the plastic bumper hanging off. The people inside were fine, thankfully.

When I got back to my car, I noticed that somehow, the key had broken off and I could not get the car into park. I shut the car off. Couldnt remove the key.

When the tow truck arrived, he quickly called in two more of his trucks. He said they had all been waiting for a smart car to get hit, just out of curiosity. They were all over my car, and were all ASTOUNDED at how little structural damage there had been. My airbags did not engage, and I am without a scratch. The firemen who responded to the accident call were also shocked at how well the little guy handled the impact. The plastic front quarter is broken, as well as much of the plastic trim around the hood. The hood itself just popped off, and seemed to be in one piece.

My smart dealer helped me set up a rental car almost immediately, and his first question was about my health, which was nice. smartCenter at Keeler Motor Cars in Latham, New York. Jon Monroe is his name, and I highly recommend him. Very nice man.

I'll know more about the damage when I can talk to the body shop guys at my dealership. The car was brought in at closing time. I'm a little worried about that shifter issue.

I'll keep you all posted as this process continues.
At the very least, I feel safer driving a smart today than I did yesterday.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Glad to hear you are well enough to post tonight.
Any chance your leg broke the key when you were hit? Look for a small bruse.

Share some pics if you get a chance.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Glad to hear you passed.....

I got hit in an intersection by a Dodge Intrepid. The smart was hit pretty hard right on the front right side, just in front of the front wheel.
The impact turned my car about 90 degrees to the left, and I was able to pull it to the side of the road.
I tried to slip it into park, but something was wrong with the shifter. I managed Neutral, and I ran to check on the other people.

Their airbags engaged, and the entire drivers side quarter panel was bent up, the headlight destroyed, and the plastic bumper hanging off. The people inside were fine, thankfully.

When I got back to my car, I noticed that somehow, the key had broken off and I could not get the car into park. I shut the car off. Couldnt remove the key.

When the tow truck arrived, he quickly called in two more of his trucks. He said they had all been waiting for a smart car to get hit, just out of curiosity. They were all over my car, and were all ASTOUNDED at how little structural damage there had been. My airbags did not engage, and I am without a scratch. The firemen who responded to the accident call were also shocked at how well the little guy handled the impact. The plastic front quarter is broken, as well as much of the plastic trim around the hood. The hood itself just popped off, and seemed to be in one piece.

My smart dealer helped me set up a rental car almost immediately, and his first question was about my health, which was nice. smartCenter at Keeler Motor Cars in Latham, New York. Jon Monroe is his name, and I highly recommend him. Very nice man.

I'll know more about the damage when I can talk to the body shop guys at my dealership. The car was brought in at closing time. I'm a little worried about that shifter issue.

I'll keep you all posted as this process continues.
At the very least, I feel safer driving a smart today than I did yesterday.
Your very own crash test, Walt! And also glad to hear that you suffered no injuries and are duly impressed with your little "escape capsule".....:D

How did you shut it off if the key was broken off? Screwdriver? Who knows what could have happened to the mechanics of the shifter with such a jolt.

That shifter has been a bad omen to you anyway so maybe you'll get a new one.....:D:D

It will get the best of care at the smart center of latham...great team they have there.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your very own crash test, Walt! And also glad to hear that you suffered no injuries and are duly impressed with your little "escape capsule".....:D

How did you shut it off if the key was broken off? Screwdriver? Who knows what could have happened to the mechanics of the shifter with such a jolt.

That shifter has been a bad omen to you anyway so maybe you'll get a new one.....:D:D

It will get the best of care at the smart center of latham...great team they have there.
There was a little bit of key sticking out, so I managed to grab hold of it to turn off the car. I didn't have a camera, otherwise I would have posted pics of my car, and the one that hit me. My little tyke got the best of that battle.

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Keep us posted sixcrows, glad you're OK!! It sounds like everything worked as it was supposed to....Car hits smart, smart activates other cars crumple zone, smart bounces off.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Good to hear that you are ok. I as well wish speedy recovery for your Smart. BTW next person who asks you if the car is safe, you can be living proof that it is.
TAKE THAT YOU SUV NAYSAYERS!!!!:D

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
:sorrysign: about your smart six :(

Glad that YOU are OK :)

Hope your smart is back on the road soon :worship:

Gotta LOVE that "nutshell" :D:D

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't think the smart will be back to the road.... if it is hit so hard there is no shop can bring the body square... sorry to hear this...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't think the smart will be back to the road.... if it is hit so hard there is no shop can bring the body square... sorry to hear this...
Gilbert that's not exactly true on the Smart. If the front support structure is bent it's just a matter of unbolting the damaged part, attaching a new one, and the re-attach all the non damaged parts. If the trident is bent it's feasible to even change that as well but hardly worth it because of the cost involved. Let's wait and see what he finds out...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Hey, there, fellow upstater.

I'm glad to know that you're ok and that the car did so well in the accident. I'm always afraid someone will plow into me. Not because the car isn't safe, but because then I'll have to take my much larger car into NYC, which is a beast to park and which gets terrible mileage. I need to get a 2nd smart, as a backup!

I hope you get your car back (or a replacement?) quickly. Good luck!

New Paltz

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Sixcrows, Glad you are a walk away. SCOA can't afford to lose long time, prolific posters like you. (Even though you have been a bit quite for awhile. )

Hope your car comes out ok too. :)

Best Regards. A2Jack.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the good wishes, folks.
My insurance adjuster called me today while he was at the dealership looking at the smashed smart. He said that it will cost just over $4000 to repair it. He said the structural integrity of the car did not seem to have been compromised at all, but they will determine that before proceeding with the repair. I didn't have a lot of time to talk, since I was at working with my first grade students when he called. Later, I called the dealership just before they closed to give them my permission to order the parts and get the job started. I'll talk to them in detail tomorrow about what, exactly, needs to be done. Yesterday, I felt just awful for smashing up my little smart, but I'm feeling better about it today.

Once I have a list of what they will be actually doing to the car, I'll post it here.

Thanks again for the support everybody.

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
OMG, sixcrows! I'm sorry for this emotional turmoil. Of course, glad you are well and hoping your smart comes out OK and FAST!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts