Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening my girlfriend took our smart up to Columbia, MD to see her parents. She left it parked in front of their house while they all went out to dinner.

When she got back she found someone had deeply scratched "HI!" into the hood in six inch tall letters. It looks like they did it with a key or something equally sharp and rough.

She reported it to the police, but now I'm left wondering what to do about the panel. I searched the forums, but didn't see anything definitive about dealing with deep scratches. Any recommendations would be appreciated! (I have solid black panels).

·
Registered
560 Posts
Probably the easiest, fastest way is to just order another panel. It's the easiest panel to replace, and it's not that costly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice! As pissed as I am that it happened, Neon is right, at least it wasn't the tridion. I'll look into just getting another panel, at least it was the one that's easiest to put on.

·
17,350 Posts
Thanks for the advice! As pissed as I am that it happened, Neon is right, at least it wasn't the tridion. I'll look into just getting another panel, at least it was the one that's easiest to put on.
And I think the cheapest at about $190 (don't take my estimate to be true though)...

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I paid about 190 for my hood panel when i needed to replace mine, but do bear in mind it will be a nice little wait. Call the parts department at Tysons Smart center that is where i got mine,and they can get you one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
OMG!!! So sorry to hear such EVIL people in this world are beating up on little Smarts. To take a little bit of the sting out of it, buy the Bra- SMART MADNESS - Store Catalog That should cover it till the new hood comes in. Plus, it looks a little gangster. Maybe people won't pick on him again.
Gods Speed
Donita

·
17,350 Posts
Like an idea posted months ago...attach 1,000 razorblades to your car's underbody...

Wait, that won't work for keying and could probably get bad quickly with the injuries and all...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Replace it. A hood isn't that expensive(about $190). It's plastic and not worth trying to fix. Call your local smart center, they should be able to get you one fairly quickly.

The bright side is, since it's plastic, it won't rust!

Sorry to hear that somebody has so little respect for your property.:(

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Of all the panels to chose, that was the nicest one.

For Vandals they let you off easy. Easy to replace, and not a Word you would be ashamed to drive around with.

But Yes, It sucks that they would even do that

·
Registered
371 Posts
This sort of disregard for others' property merits either a grand beat down or a $30K check. Sorry for your hassle. Our smarts are not bad things.

I parked a while back, and several high school kids walked by and said, "Hey what if we turn your clown car on its top!"

I said, go ahead. I have a camera, and I'd love to retire on your parent's dime.

They walked away.

It would be so cool to catch these SOBs in the act and get even.

·
Registered
278 Posts
By the time you spend money purchasing and shipping a bra to cover it, you may as well get a hood. Contact your junkyards. There might be one that got whacked in the back and you could get the hood.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After calling three of the dealerships in the area (I decided not to mess with the junkyards), Alexandria came in the cheapest at $152.95 including tax. They've ordered the panel and since it just takes one bolt to install, they will put it on for free.

Thanks for the advice everyone! As much as I'm still fantasizing over what I'd like to do to the moron who did this, I'm glad fixing the damage is so cheap and painless. Of course now I'm paranoid that it could happen again. I think we'll be taking our Passat up to Columbia from now on.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
What are you planning to do with the old panel? I have a potential use for it, since I am not too concerned with the look of it. PM me...

·
Registered
910 Posts
Often I see individual panels on eBay with reasonable prices. . . check there before going with a full-blown dealer price, especially on something as easy to install as a hood - errr - access panel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts