Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm from Germany and new here at SCOA and want to show my Smart with my Qek junior Caravan.
The smart is an 84 HP from 2008 and has now 101 HP With an Trailer hitch for an Trailer Load of 450Kg (990lb)
The Caravan is an Qek Junior with an empty weight of 360Kg (793lb) and maximum weight of 500Kg (1100lb).

I have painted the Caravan in Black and Silver, the same color like my Smart.

Here the Pictures:

Oh, I see, that I need 3 Posts to insert Images, Images will follow.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Caravan - Trailer

Hello, I'm from Germany and new here at SCOA and want to show my Smart with my Qek junior Caravan.
The smart is an 84 HP from 2008 and has now 101 HP With an Trailer hitch for an Trailer Load of 450Kg (990lb)
The Caravan is an Qek Junior with an empty weight of 360Kg (793lb) and maximum weight of 500Kg (1100lb).

I have painted the Caravan in Black and Silver, the same color like my Smart.

Here the Pictures:

Oh, I see, that I need 3 Posts to insert Images, Images will follow.
We are interested.

Just post 2 or 3 more times and then you can put pictures. A couple of short posts will do.

Also, in USA " Caravan" is "Trailer", "Camping trailer", etc.

Welcome !

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, I try to make a few posts, and insert then Pictures. Here is my Second post. One more left ^^

Edit: Now I have my 3 posts, and here are the Pictures:

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
welcome Fido...not knowing how much that trailer weights I'll guess that answers the question "can you tow with a smart?".....
..now, really....how much does it weight?

jetfuel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The empty weight of the trailer is on the papers 360Kg (793 lb) and actually the trailer has a weight of 440Kg (970lb) The smart has an trailer load of 450Kg (990lb) I can put 10Kg (22 lb) in the trailer. In Germany it isn't exactly regulated if you may add the vertical load of the Trailer hitch to the Trailer load. But I think that it is allowed, so the Trailer can weight 495Kg (1090 lb) if the vertical load is exactly 45kg (99 lb)So I can put 55Kg (121 lb) to the Trailer.

The Trailer is allmost completly camping ready with this weight, I only have to buy an gas-fridge for it, to have an cold coke in the Warm Camping holidays ^^. The Fridge have an weight of 20Kg (44lb)

I has installed an truma gas radiator, 4 lights, a 12V 55Ah Battery, an Battery charger, an 230V Inverter and 20l Water with a pump, and a 5KG (11lb) gas bottle. That is all includet in the actually weight.

In Germany the rules for Trailers are much more strictly as in the USA, In Germany arent electric brakes allowed, and German Trailers and cars always have a much lower vertical load then American Trailers. Usualy the vertical load is between 50 an 75Kg (110-165 lb)

Next weekend I drive to an big smart event in north Germany with the trailer. There will be over 100 smart, I'll think it will be funny with this trailer. When I drive with the Trailer all people looking at me ^^.

Smart+trailer has a length of 6,5m (6 yard) the length of a normaly US Pickup ^^

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
OMG - Fido - It's soooo cute!

Have you got pics of the inside? Can you stand up inside?

Thanks for sharing the pics and all the details!

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
...thank Fido for the info ...please return to the asylum with some pictures of your trip to northern Germany...
..what's your "cruise speed" while towing that monster....

jetfuel

·
Registered
63 Posts
Danke

Fido, vielen dank für die Fotos Ihres Schlau mit trailor. Hoffnung haben Sie eine große Zeit mit der Ruhe der deutschen Schlauies und freuen sich darauf, mehr Fotos zu sehen. Der Name meines smart ist Gerdie, und ihr Vorderfenster hat ein Abziehbild, das festsetzt: Jenni's Schlau. Meine Familie, wer in Deutschland gerade leben, lacht zum Preis, den wir hier für sie bezahlen.
ltTXsmarty und Gerdie:smartje.zw.zw:

·
Registered
171 Posts
haha lol

that is awesome!!

good work!

you must be really short, or you have used the space really well in the caravan

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You have VERY nice "retro" trailer! Your trip and smart event sounds like a great adventure.

I have just found a very interesting new USA-made camping trailer that weighs about the same as your Qek junior - but is smaller and more aerodynamic. Made by the Little Guy people, they have come up with a very cool "Reverse Teardrop!" See it here: Little Guy RT | Reverse Teardrop Camper Trailer

Bil :smartje:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The stand up heigh is at the largest position 1,78m (1,95 yard) I'm 1,80m (1,97 yard) But I can open the roof and than I have 8cm (3,15 inch) more heigh to stand. My Girlfriend is only 1,59m (1,72 yard) and she has never Problems to stand in ^^

The Cruise speed with this trailor is no Problem. I tested the Top speed, and it was realy high, 145km/h (90 mph) But of course this isn't my real cruise speed. In germany you may drive 80km/h (50mph) with a Trailor, when you have an 100er approval you are allowed to drive 100km/h (62,5mph) And normaly this is my cruise speed (Of course I have A cruise control ^^)is 90 to 100km/h (55 to 62,5mph). at this speed my smart takes 8,6l/100km (~3,66 gallon per 100 miles). When I drive with some other smart to the smart event, I think my cruise speed will be 110-120 km/h (69-75mph) (What is the VMax of the smarts in America?)

The automatic German translated text is a little difficult to read. For example smart is called in germany also smart. Is the smart price in America high or low?

The space in the Trailor is enough, I can make A huge bed, 1,9x1,9m (2,07x2,07 yard) or I have a Big seating in this place. Then I have a little "kitchen" with an gas cooker, a sink with fluent water and next time a gas fridge. There is enough storage place and a little wardrope.

The trailor is from 1986, and was build for the old and weak german cars like the trabi. So he is ideal for the smart because he has a low weight an he is braked.

Here are a few pics from inside the trailer. The last one is from the preparation of the trailer.

Friday I have to clean the smart and the camping trailer vor the event...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Well this trailer of yours is FAR more spacious than anything of that weight class I can think of in North America! I envy your choices in Europe. I think nearest for us would be the folding A-liner, but even this has not so much room!

See A-liner here: CLICK LINK

Here is a picture of friends of ours from Alberta traveling with their A-liner folding camper. (I don't think they will mind that I show you their picture!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, but I don't know if they are usable with the smart. The American Trailer are build for an much higher hitch weight. This you can see at the Axis of the trailer which isn't in the middle. It is more at the end of the Trailer. The Smart only has a hitch load of 45Kg (99 lb). And when you increase this load, the smart dont drive very good. My camping Trailer has now with all things added a hitch load of 50-55Kg (110-121 lb) And this u can feel a bit when u driving with it, and the street has a few waves. So I thinking about to put the Battery from the front to the back, behind the axis. Then It schould have a better hitch load.

I think that it is very difficult to find a camping trailer for the smart in America. The early Amarican cars also where very big, and heavy, so there wasn't a market for slight camping trailers. in germany it is today the same. There aren't realy camping trailers whitch are usable by the smart. But in the old DDR of Germany there was a lot of camping Trailers which was build for their cars, and these are usable by smarts.

Today it gives a few Trailers which are build only to sleep. Sleeping Trailer. these Trailers are mostly build by the smart owners and have a weight of 300kg (660 lb). The old smart without esp only has an Trailer load of 300Kg. The "new old" smart with esp has a trailer load of 350kg (770 lb)

But it gives the same model that I have without brakes, and this has an empty weight of 300Kg and a max. weight of 400Kg (880 lb). So it is useable with the old smart, as long it is empty.

I think the only bad thing of my trailer is the bad aerodynamic. This forces much more gas then an trailer with good aerodynamic. But I don't drive so often with the trailer that it would mind. And enough Power I have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OMG - Fido - It's soooo cute!

... Can you stand up inside?
Yes, it´s possible almost in the door area. I owned this type of camping trailer too, a few years ago. The trailer was originally destinated for cars named Trabant, produced in the former East Germany (GDR) between the early sixties and 1990. Inside the trailer You´d find a smallwardrobe, a little kitchen range, table and seats for four persons. For the night You´ll to put down the table and You´ll get a once bedspace for 3 to 4 persons. Originally it wasn´t possible to open the windows, but some people shanged in the nineties the big backside-window. For get fresh air it´s possible to lift the roof a little bit and eventually let the upper half of the door opened.

Personally I wouln´t use this trailer by my Smart car. I have a cdi constructed in the year 2000 (one of the earliest diesel powered Smart cars) and for the Smart cars of this age the trailer weight is here limited to 300 kg. So this trailer would be to heavy. In such cases german policemen would oder me to terminate the travel with this trailer and put it away later by another car.

Peter

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Then you have to take the hp400, this traler has a empty weight of 300Kg, and so u are allowed to pull it when it is empty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts