Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for sharing those pictures! You do beautiful work! The trailer is very cute behind your car.

Which trailer hitch did you get for your car?

-Jim G

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for sharing those pictures! You do beautiful work! The trailer is very cute behind your car.

Which trailer hitch did you get for your car?

-Jim G
Thanks! I can't remember off the top of my head the name of the hitch. I got it off eBay. Very good hitch. Pretty easy to install myself. Cost about $140 including shipping.

Dude that is awesome. Beautiful job. Can two people sleep in it comfortably?
Thanks! Yes, two can sleep it in. The inside dimensions are 4' x 8'.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Nice - Looks like you didn't do the back hatch kitchen like some teardrops? What size plywood (thickness) did you go with?

·
17,390 Posts
I'm still on the fence about pulling things with the fortwo. Just because you can doesn't mean you should...

BUT, if the Europeans have been doing it and there hasn't been any real indications of damage, then why not? :)

I like it! Looks heavier than it is actually :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice trailer.

You going to hit the road and join us in WI in June?
Thanks! I won't be able to make it to WI this year. Would like to make it to some rally close around East TN. My summer is already booked with trips.

Nice - Looks like you didn't do the back hatch kitchen like some teardrops? What size plywood (thickness) did you go with?
The floor is 1/2 inch plywood. Walls are 1/4 inch plywood. Roof is 1/8 inch plywood. Whole thing is MUCH stronger than you would think with those thicknesses of plywood. It is all glued/screwed together using 1x2's as reinforcement.

that's really awesome! great job!

does this change your gas mileage by much?
I've only pulled it for about 20 miles so far. I'm anxious to see how the gas mileage is effected.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
You trailer looks really nice. Are you planning to sell plans? That would be neat. :)

Clever Trailer and Smart Camper are two companies that make trailers/campers for the Smart Fortwo to tow. Yuppie Wagon (made in USA) can be pulled by a Smart.

Even though I know the Smart isn't really suppose to pull a trailer (officially anyway), it is neat to know it could (depending on the trailer/camper).

Go Little Guy Rascal.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What are the height dimensions, from the trailer to the roof.
From trailer to highest point on roof is 48 inches.

You trailer looks really nice. Are you planning to sell plans? That would be neat. :)
No plans on selling plans. I got some ideas from other websites and then kind of made them up as I went. I'd be happy to give anybody ideas or suggestions that is going to make one. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just finished building my teardrop trailer to be pulled by Little Bit. The entire trailer weighs less than 400 pounds. Pulls great! Here's a few pics.

The build:

O man! I'd love to have a teardrop to pull behind my Smart that looked as good as this one does. Do you have and instructions to go along with your pictures? What thickness of wood did you use on the sides and is it insulated? You show an extra length for the tow bar. Where did you get it from?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
O man! I'd love to have a teardrop to pull behind my Smart that looked as good as this one does. Do you have and instructions to go along with your pictures? What thickness of wood did you use on the sides and is it insulated? You show an extra length for the tow bar. Where did you get it from?
Thanks for the compliment! I used 1/4" plywood for the walls, 1/8" plywood for the roof (covered in RV rubber roof material) and 1/2" plywood for the floor. I did not do any insulating of the walls, but it stayed very warm inside with an electric heater. I got the extended tube from a local welder and used that instead of the piece that came with the trailer. Unfortunately, I do not have any instructions. I just built it and made it up as I went.

I actually don't have the teardrop or the smart car anymore. Just traded in the smart a month ago (after 6 years of ownership). I miss it. I sold the teardrop to buy a smaller pop-up that I could pull with my motorcycle. I really miss the teardrop, too. I may build another one someday.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts