Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Update: I've completed this project. Check it out on Post #47)
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/400948-post47.html)

So, the movie Tron came out (which I haven't seen yet) and I thought about doing something like this to my Smart for two reasons: 1) the black reflective tape helps the black body panels to stand out at the night, safety; 2) because it's my Smart and I can do whatever I want with it :p

I will pick up a couple of these 1/4" black reflective tape by 3M. It's black but it shimmers like a typical red, orange, or white reflective tapes that we normally see. It will look stealth in the daytime -- black tape on black body panel. But when you shine light on it BAM!
(Get on amazon.com and do a search for "3M 79902" Click on "3M 79902 Scotchlite Reflective Striping Tape, 1/4-Inch x 50-Foot, Black".

Here's my initial computer-generated model.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1232/smarttronday.jpg

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/4323/smarttronnight.jpg

I figured I got a good amount of striping there without going overboard. Something to do during the holidays, I guess ;)

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
Man, I was going to do this with glow in the dark paint. Clear going on, blue glowing at night. Since you have done this, I think I will do that to mine. Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, I was going to do this with glow in the dark paint. Clear going on, blue glowing at night. Since you have done this, I think I will do that to mine. Thanks!
Actually, I haven't done it yet. The photos above are just computer-generated models. But I will do it once the tapes come in this Thursday. I could use blue reflective tape, the same blue tape I currently have on the rims of my blue sportbike. But I wanted the black tape to disappear in the black body panel during daytime so I don't stand out 'that much' :rolleyes:

·
5,933 Posts
Actually, I haven't done it yet. The photos above are just computer-generated models. But I will do it once the tapes come in this Thursday. I could use blue reflective tape, the same blue tape I currently have on the rims of my blue sportbike. But I wanted the black tape to disappear in the black body panel during daytime so I don't stand out 'that much' :rolleyes:
Sorry, my smart panels are blue but the black will probably blend in with black better than the blue will with the blue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, my smart panels are blue but the black will probably blend in with black better than the blue will with the blue.
It'll look cool if you use this black 3M tape against your blue Smart. Or, get the blue reflective tape. Visit a motorcycle shop or search for "
3M 79925" on Amazon.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Keep us posted on how this works out.

Many of us in fly over country would not attempt something like this until the salt is off the roads and our cars.

Biggest challenge I see is having a steady application hand

Black on Black should be quite cool when someone is about to T-Bone you at night

·
17,390 Posts
$207 per 5ft...Very expensive...

Available on online WalMart apparently.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That and I am not sure how you would connect all the lines the OP had with light tape with darkness in between.
Maybe block it out with electrical tape, or something black so light does not shine through. Neat (but I'll stick to the black reflective tape) :)

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
..the reflective tape idea for the Tron look a like will not do the trick as you need a light source to reveal the "outline" of the design that will also reveal the canvas...
..the "true" look of Tron will be achieve with the light tape...
...$$$ but cool as hell...

jetfuel...tuned into this one...my 1c

·
5,933 Posts
..the reflective tape idea for the Tron look a like will not do the trick as you need a light source to reveal the "outline" of the design that will also reveal the canvas...
..the "true" look of Tron will be achieve with the light tape...
...$$$ but cool as hell...

jetfuel...tuned into this one...my 1c
But how would you achieve the OP look with light tape w/o looking ghetto?

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
...is all in the amount of time spent on the design and installation of the tape...
...not knowing "how" it looks when not in use it is hard to have an idea of the how to...

jetfuel...not ghetto....barrio...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts