Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedometer light (the back light) no longer works. The speedometer needle still lights up red just fine and the lower bank with the fuel, time, ect works fine. Just the mph backlight. Fuse, light what? The light I'm guessing will be difficult to replace? Yes/no?
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
..grab the speedo cluster with both hands and pull towards the steering wheel..a good pull should do it or steady pulling force....I place a towel or something behind the wheel to keep it from making contact with the cluster...after that you'll see its easy to find the bad light if that's the case...

Jetfuel...Kane's site has good Info on this...

·
17,380 Posts
Also, the speedometer backlight uses SMDs and not lightbulbs. If all are out though, the SMDs may not be the issue.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Follow the link above, then you are going to have to replace the SMD on your board. Bummer. It can be done though!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya.... I did the Solomenic thing and just ordered a new/used instrument cluster. Much easier to just replace the whole thing. Don't trust myself to do the SMD replacement and used one with a replacement/send it back option are not that expensive.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the cluster today. Haven't put it in yet. Looks good though. I am right in assuming that the mileage, ect is stored in the CPU and will simply show up on my new cluster, yes (of course yes you dolt)

·
17,380 Posts
Are you talking to yourself? :D

What're you doing with the old cluster? You could totally go all out and customize it! Custom LEDs, speedometer faces, the works!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am thinking seriously about doing just that. At the very least it will be a trial and error learning experience!:p

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Got the cluster today. Haven't put it in yet. Looks good though. I am right in assuming that the mileage, ect is stored in the CPU and will simply show up on my new cluster, yes (of course yes you dolt)
I would not assume that. The cluster is a node on the vehicle network and has its own micro-processor. In fact, service info indicates when the mileage reading maxes out at 999,999 miles or kilometers it does not roll over to zero and the cluster must be replaced. It also notes the internal counter continues to operate. Main odometer mileage stored in the cluster is retained for up to 10 years even if the power is disconnected.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going to change it out Saturday. Hmmm...Nice as it might seem, I do not want a falsified odometer reading. My smart has over 100k miles and I doubt the replacement does. Aside from the fact that it is illegal unless noted, it just ain't right. What does one do to note a changed odometer reading on a title or similar?

·
17,380 Posts
In IL, you go to the DMV, request changes to your title, then check the box that says "indicated mileage not actual".

·
Registered
271 Posts
Problem with changing the title to "indicated mileage not actual" if that becomes the issue is that the value of the car or what value there may be drops to nothing. Several years ago I purchased a vehicle used from a lot and never looked at the title. I went to trade that vehicle in a few years later and they offer me "X" amount for trade in. I handed them the title but they then dropped the value of my trade in from like 2K to $500. I was not so happy and wanted to know what happened so the sales person explained to me and showed me the title. He said as soon as they see that on a title its a big red flag. The car may say it only has 120K miles in it but it really has???? 200K?? who knows...

·
17,380 Posts
I'm sure that's possible, however the new cluster will always be counting mileage that's not true. :(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts