Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum from Wisconsin. Our new ride is a 2014 Smart Car Fortwo Pure that we’ve nicknamed “Cream Puff”. We will be using it around town and towing it on a 6’x12’ trailer behind our Motorhome. It is a very nice ride for us and I have already fixed some problems that it came with. It is a very DIY friendly car and we enjoy driving it. I’m looking forward to participating in the Forum threads and learning more about our car as well as other member’s Smart Cars in the group. Dr. Ray :D:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Also new to SCoA. Working now on closing a deal for a 2017 Prime Cabrio to
flat tow behind our RV. I made sure it has the automatic Transmission so it can be flat towed.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Always thought a manual would be better for towing, but I guess automatics no longer have the rear pumps in them.

Good luck with your purchase!!

·
Super Moderator
29,254 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! :)

The 453 "automatic" really isn't - it's a six speed computer controlled dual clutch transmission.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Always thought a manual would be better for towing, but I guess automatics no longer have the rear pumps in them.

Good luck with your purchase!!
Yeah, I don't fully understand the mechanical reasons but Smart will only certify the automatic in the 453 for flat towing not the manual 5 speed. I've been towing a 72 Beetle Convertible with a stick shift. The procedure for putting the Smart automatic in neutral for towing is a bit more complicated than the Bug. With the Bug I just move the shifter to Neutral, release the brake and go with no key in the ignition. BUT! The Smart is much more modern and comfortable...

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
The old bugs could be fixed with a pliers and a screwdriver. At least smart got 'smart' and added the bit about flat towing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts