Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this picture and love it. The modern house goes hand and hand with the smart car.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
The Happy Minimum

I was just now thinking about the times-gone-by (mid-‘50s-early ‘60s) when I would often see BMW Isettas, Messerschmitts, Topolinos (Topolini?), NSU Prinz’s. etc. on the road. I would be kind of neat to see the towns and cities full of the interesting bubbles and torpedoes again. I think people would be nicer too. But then, Leonard Lord, chairman of English Austin, declared, “Damn these bloody awful bubble cars. We must drive them off the streets by designing a proper miniature car." Thence, with Issigonis, came the Austin Mini, and they apparently did just that.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm right there with ya...however the spousal unit has a different opinion.

I guess we have to convert people's thinking about cars first, then make inroads on housing. As everything goes up smaller and more efficient will become more popular.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Fish,
Remember how all the Saab owners used to wave at each other in traffic? i can see that kind of comeraderie coming back with the Smart owners. I will propagate it myself when I have mine and meet or pass another Smart. And overall, I too, think it will make people happier and I'm for that. Too much damned negativity in the world today I think.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I remember some of that when Saturns first came out. They were unique to look at, and (at least according to reports), the employees were happy to work at Spring Hill.

Now that they've been around a while, you don't see it anymore. Things fade.

Now, of course, it's just another GM product; their new car (the Astra) is just an Opal Astra with a Saturn nameplate.

Fish,
Remember how all the Saab owners used to wave at each other in traffic? i can see that kind of comeraderie coming back with the Smart owners. I will propagate it myself when I have mine and meet or pass another Smart. And overall, I too, think it will make people happier and I'm for that. Too much damned negativity in the world today I think.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I remember some of that when Saturns first came out. They were unique to look at, and (at least according to reports), the employees were happy to work at Spring Hill.

Now that they've been around a while, you don't see it anymore. Things fade.

Now, of course, it's just another GM product; their new car (the Astra) is just an Opal Astra with a Saturn nameplate.
Same thing with the MINIs. First 3-4 years, lots of waving. Now, nothing.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
MG, Sprite, Triumph, XK 120. It seems that they have always waved, Beep beeped, or at a minimum nodded.

Today, I like to do one of the above to a Mercedes. The looks I get sometimes, are priceless. You might be surprised at the number of "Thumbs up" I get also.

One of my favorites (only one of) was dressing well and driving into the BMW dealer in Beverly Hills in my very well kept Isetta 300 and inquired as to my immediate need for an oil change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts