Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I drive a 2013 Smart Fortwo pure and it is mysteriously losing coolant. When I drive the 10 miles from home to work it goes from the max to minimum line in the reservoir. It has overheated once and completely ran out of coolant once. I had a faulty radiator fan fixed on it a year ago. I’ve had two places look for leaks and they cannot find one after running extensive pressure testing. I’ve also had it checked for a blown head gasket and it doesn’t have one. I’m completely at a loss. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your system sounds like it’s leaking. If your losing coolants. What condition does you oil look like? How long has this been going on? How many time has it lost coolant? Completely dry. Nothing at all in the radiato?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum. Your system sounds like it’s leaking. If your losing coolants. What condition does you oil look like? How long has this been going on? How many time has it lost coolant? Completely dry. Nothing at all in the radiato?
The oil looks fine. I noticed it was out of coolant about three weeks ago, and it wasn’t completely empty, just the reservoir.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
You really should have a auto technician, run a coolant test on your car. A simple pressure test. Coolant loss may indicate a poorly maintained cooling system, a system fault, or even a change in driving patterns. For example, a coolant leak could have any of these causes: ... A leak that only occurs under certain operating conditions. An undiagnosed cracked engine block or cylinder head, or a blown gasket.

Your coolant reservoir tank should be at least 30% full. Most reservoir tank has min and max mark drawn on the side of the container. The most common cause of a coolant leak is a bad radiator cap, bad radiator fans, and loose radiator hose clamps. ... Check your coolant and inspect if there are any leaks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You really should have a auto technician, run a coolant test on your car. A simple pressure test. Coolant loss may indicate a poorly maintained cooling system, a system fault, or even a change in driving patterns. For example, a coolant leak could have any of these causes: ... A leak that only occurs under certain operating conditions. An undiagnosed cracked engine block or cylinder head, or a blown gasket.

Your coolant reservoir tank should be at least 30% full. Most reservoir tank has min and max mark drawn on the side of the container. The most common cause of a coolant leak is a bad radiator cap, bad radiator fans, and loose radiator hose clamps. ... Check your coolant and inspect if there are any leaks.
Make sure you are using only the manufacturer recommended coolant type for SMART. Now days there are so many coolants, but they are not all created equal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I drive a 2013 Smart Fortwo pure and it is mysteriously losing coolant. When I drive the 10 miles from home to work it goes from the max to minimum line in the reservoir. It has overheated once and completely ran out of coolant once. I had a faulty radiator fan fixed on it a year ago. I’ve had two places look for leaks and they cannot find one after running extensive pressure testing. I’ve also had it checked for a blown head gasket and it doesn’t have one. I’m completely at a loss. Any ideas?
Head gasket.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,947 Posts
I drive a 2013 Smart Fortwo pure and it is mysteriously losing coolant.

It has overheated once and completely ran out of coolant once.

I’m completely at a loss. Any ideas?
Sounds like the dreaded head gasket…

Overheating & completely running out of coolant in your 10 mile commute does not bode well!

Have you had a compression test done on each cylinder?

Although it can be expensive, some shops can run a chemical test of the coolant to look for the presence of exhaust gas in the coolant.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 2008 smart for two with 161,000 miles. The head and gasket was replaced at 112,000 miles and since then I have lost a few ounces of coolant occasionally. There is no rhyme or reason and no sequence related to the leak which seems to be coming from the front side of the engine. A shop performed a pressure check, compression test, and there is no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, contacted MB for guidance with no luck. MB states the temps are perfectly normal. The temp gets up to 213.8 and the radiator fan comes on and the temp drops to the mid 160's and rises up to the mid 190's and sustains this the entire time I drive it. I have drained, flushed, and refilled the system and it randomly leaks the same few ounces. I can not find the source of the leak. At this point I am thinking of adding an aluminum stop leak to the system. Please post your finding here. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
If you are using the Mercedes 325.0 (if I remember correctly) Silicate containing coolant: any leaks would eventually dry into whitish spots/precipitate, barring it’s leaking passed the head gasket into the cylinders or oil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts