Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea how to find out whether perpendicular parking is legal in NY state or does it vary from county to county (or borough to borough)??

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Look up the wording of the law, being especially careful to notice the part that says "the passenger side wheels can be x distance from the curb"

·
Super Moderator
28,527 Posts
how does one find the laws?
Google is your friend:

Nassau County Traffic Agency: Nassau County Traffic & Parking Violations Agency

NY state traffic laws: Article 32 - Vehicle and Traffic Law - Stopping, Standing, and Parking

1203. Additional parking regulations. (a) Except where angle
parking is authorized, every vehicle stopped, standing, or parked wholly
upon a two-way roadway shall be so stopped, standing, or parked with the
right-hand wheels of such vehicle parallel to and within twelve inches
of the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.
:)

·
Super Moderator
11,304 Posts
If the car doesn't stick out into the street any farther than a normally parked car, you might get by with it. Most motorcycles park with the rear wheel against the curb and the front end out towards the traffic. That leaves the 12" rule out but since they don't have a passenger / driver side wheels...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I thought about this as well but the problem you will have even if it was legal is the is someone parts too close to your doors you will not be able to get in the car. if you ever drove a Motorcycle in NYC you would of at least ran into this problem ones or Twice.

I ones was park in a spot and had to pull the Bike out to get on it, because i didn't have any room.

great concept but bad idea in NY.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts