• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 493 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey SCOA members, I wanted to get some input from you all first. After talking with several people who attended this last rally, especially Sharkdog, and Mr. Schembri it seems like there is some extreme interest in having a nationwide rally.

First of all I would be honered to organize and work with some of you to plan this. There has been some talk for St. Louis, MO and Springfield, IL. Any other basit thoughts on a rally like this? Remember, we are talking about 1000+ smarts at this type of rally. We would need SCOA Smart USA's support. In addition, the aftermarket vendors.

Can we pull it off? :confused:

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
It make for a really historical event. BTW where would you have all the cars meet?

Hey SCOA members, I wanted to get some input from you all first. After talking with several people who attended this last rally, especially Sharkdog, and Mr. Schembri it seems like there is some extreme interest in having a nationwide rally.

First of all I would be honered to organize and work with some of you to plan this. There has been some talk for St. Louis, MO and Springfield, IL. Any other basit thoughts on a rally like this? Remember, we are talking about 1000+ smarts at this type of rally. We would need SCOA Smart USA's support. In addition, the aftermarket vendors.

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
I think so....I see no reason why not. If they can have "Super Chevy Sunday" at ORP in Indianapolis and the "Mopar Nationals" at National Trail Raceway in Columbus Ohio each year, with people from all over the country in attendance, why not smarts? Like someone had mentioned, we could do it like the "Jeep Jamboree", in that we could have competitions like parallel parking your smart, a slalom course, swapping body panels and who knows what else we could come up with. :rolleyes:

BUT to have that many cars in one location and have room to do things like that, we would need a facility like a racetrack, to host the event and as you mentioned, someplace 'central' to be convenient for the most smart owners. While Springfield is more 'central', Kansas City has "Kansas Speedway" located at I-70 and I-435 in Kansas City Kansas. The "Mo-Kan smart Club" is a very active club and could possibly be 'persuaded' to assist in hosting this event. "If" we could get local smart centers AND aftermarket vendors to assist with the expense of having use of a facility like that 'could be done'.

I think having a "smart Nationals" is a great idea.......LETS GO FOR IT! :D

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Sounds great!! We have this little shindig up here called Back to the 50's at the State fairgrounds. Lots of room for cruising and plenty of parking. Maybe another option if a racetrack is not available.

·
Registered
973 Posts

Jefferios,
I think it's great and would be happy to help out in any way possible. I proposed such an event a year ago and sort of got blown out of the water with it but I think your very successful Midwest Rally has opened up eyes to the possibilities.

Let me know how I can help.

kwagar

·
Super Moderator
28,790 Posts
First, kudos to Jeff for the Wisconsin Dells rally - sets the standard IMHO. For those of you not attending, you missed a one time good deal. Thanks again Jeff!

There's been talk since early 08 about a national rally but I think the momentum is finally here and there are enough cars in the USA (over 32K I think) to make this feasible. My vote is for someplace more central to give everyone (except the locals) an equally long drive. KC or St. Louis are probable locations; Springfield, IL isn't bad but it's a stretch for the West coast folks. I'd also suggest Denver - great scenery, very dynamic city, lots of local attractions (Pikes Peak, AF Academy, Coors Brewery :cool:) plus a neat downtown area. Just a thought. :)

Whatever the plan, after this weekend Jeff knows we have Dave Schembri's attention and we should offer smart USA the opportunity to be involved and support a national rally from the start. :)

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,101 Posts
Like someone had mentioned, we could do it like the "Jeep Jamboree", in that we could have competitions like parallel parking your smart, a slalom course, swapping body panels and who knows what else we could come up with.

I think having a "smart Nationals" is a great idea.......LETS GO FOR IT! :D

I've been on a couple threads about a national smart meet and still think it's a great idea. I had thrown out the Camp Jeep model (the annual manufacturer supported event, not to be confused with the individual jamborees) and suggested some events in line with what happens at Camp Jeep. It will definitely take involvement from smartUSA and third party vendors to pull it off - that's the only way Jeep was able to pull off such a huge event, in my opinion.

Using the Camp Jeep model, let's not forget about the engineering sessions where there is Q&A about the vehicles for improvements, new models, accessories, etc. This was a highlight for me. Also, exhibits of previous models (forfour, formore, ?), prototypes, etc. were well received at Camp Jeep. smartUSA would have to be involved to get these types of sessions.

Camp Jeep also offered complementary sessions. For example, the year I attended, a National Geographic photographer was there showing some of his work and discussing photography while on safari or traveling in remote areas. Ironically, he didn't use a Jeep, but a diesel-powered Land Rover. Anyway, complementary subjects that would be interesting to the vehicle owners could work.

In yet more irony given the recent Penske news, Saturn used to have a homecoming event at their plant in TN for all the Saturn cars. I'm not sure if they still do that or not though...

Anyway, I'm all for a national event and would be willing to help if I can. :)

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
Well, if you guys would be willing to drive to North Texas, I know some of the people that work at the Texas Motor Speedway. Im sure between the two smart centers and TMS and the club, we can work something out. How about it?

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
Of course another location possibility is the site of the NASCAR race this past weekend....MICHIGAN INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY.

MIS, after all, IS owned by Mr Penske. Seems to be a logical site, even though it's not THAT centrally located.

How about breaking up the "National" meet into two separate meets held on the same day, one east of the Mississippi and one west?

Just a thought........:)

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,101 Posts
At least one year of Camp Jeep was bi-coastal (2004). I'm not sure if they continued that or not. It does make it more practical for folks to attend, but there is something about seeing so many cars in one place. If we could pull off two large events, that'd be great. Otherwise, I really do like the idea of MIS with the Penske connection for the first year.

BTW, Camp Jeep 2009 was cancelled due I'm sure to the condition of Chrysler/Jeep and the economy.

The year I was at Camp Jeep someone from Brazil drove to Camp Jeep in Pennsylvania. Now that's a road trip! :D

·
Super Moderator
28,790 Posts
...but there is something about seeing so many cars in one place.
Agree - had the same feeling this weekend in Wisconsin with only 100 cars; think about seeing thousands of smarts in one place. The two location idea is extremely sensible IMHO, but where's the fun in that? My vote is to roll the dice and go for a single location with a great big honking gaggle of smarts in one place next summer! :cool:

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha, I know. I wanted to go down that road though. :)

Anyway, I am going around to local sign shops getting quotes for that awesome gift you gave me. I was quoted $150 just 30 mins ago. I need to find a place that will do it for less than $75.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
How about breaking up the "National" meet into two separate meets held on the same day, one east of the Mississippi and one west?

Just a thought........:)

You mean like Western in West Memphis AR and Eastern in Memphis TN?
You mean like Western in St Louis MO and Eastern in East St Louis IL?
You mean like Western in La Crescent MN and Eastern in La Crosse WI?
:D

Out west, I'm thinking Reno or Vegas or some burb near Salt Lake City or Denver would be good picks... but if it's one big ho daddy, I like the MIS idea.

Did anyone mention Omaha? :p

1 - 20 of 493 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.