Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my portable XM radio (inno), and garmin nav (176c) sitting in my cup holders. Wires all nested in a heap around the cup holders I wonder where to put my cup of coffee...

The more I contemplatively drive with the open nest of wires allowing for what little abstract thinking I'm capable of (while driving), the more I shake my head at there being no real clean way to mount/install the devices (n wire nest) cleanly :( least not as clean as replacing the smarts head unit...

after reading a few threads (here n there) on 'all in one' head units and seeing a close up brief demo (thx rollingtones) on the Kenwood 7120, I was gonna pull the trigger and buy one.

Found what appeared to be a good deal for the 7120 on ebay $850 (shipping included). As I read the sellers description I noticed a small chart (in the description) comparing the features of the 7120 with the 8120 (and the 5120). Hmm, what is this 8120 (i ask myself), and begin to madly google for further info.

Frankly, both of these units give me a bit of sticker shock in the sense that i might have to skip a few car payments :eek: . As it is, this will be an ongoing project over the course of many months as finances might allow upgrading and adding speakers, rear view camera, and other fitting accessories (head unit related and not).

In my google searching, I came across the website 6ave.com which had the Kenwood DNX-8120 Navigation/DVD System for $1498 - coupon code AFLKEN1048 = $1048 with free shipping.

Just before I push the 'buy' button, does anyone out there know of a better deal on this unit?

Also, should I be considering something else (or in addition) when looking for the 'all in one' head unit solution out there?

:)

· Registered
55 Posts
I did the same as you did, searched and settled for the 7120, a few weeks ago. To me the 8120 is new has some extras if you plan to put a mega system in.
The 5120? smaller screen I think, 7120's are dropping in price since the 8120, you can find 7120 for less than $850 with free shipping, but that will be without the ipod and bluetooth option.
What I have is Nav(included), backup(if I install one later)and can play DVD's anytime(don't forget to ground the orange "park"wire) otherwise the dvd's won't play.
I also took out the jack in the glove box and mounted the usb port in it's place.
Both ipod and BT options seems very nice if you would use or have the need for them.
With the 7120 and the usb port, not sure if a Universal mp3 player would work through it, might look into it later, stead of carring alot of cd's in the car.

Very happy with my 7120 :)

· Registered
30 Posts
I am also interested in switching out my factory stereo for a Kenwood.
Quick question...how difficult is it to do? Would I need any additional parts other than the new Kenwood radio? Does the installation require a mounting kit? Thanks.

Mike

· Registered
103 Posts
the DNX-5120 is a better value

I have my portable XM radio (inno), and garmin nav (176c) sitting in my cup holders. Wires all nested in a heap around the cup holders I wonder where to put my cup of coffee...

The more I contemplatively drive with the open nest of wires allowing for what little abstract thinking I'm capable of (while driving), the more I shake my head at there being no real clean way to mount/install the devices (n wire nest) cleanly :( least not as clean as replacing the smarts head unit...

after reading a few threads (here n there) on 'all in one' head units and seeing a close up brief demo (thx rollingtones) on the Kenwood 7120, I was gonna pull the trigger and buy one.

Found what appeared to be a good deal for the 7120 on ebay $850 (shipping included). As I read the sellers description I noticed a small chart (in the description) comparing the features of the 7120 with the 8120 (and the 5120). Hmm, what is this 8120 (i ask myself), and begin to madly google for further info.

Frankly, both of these units give me a bit of sticker shock in the sense that i might have to skip a few car payments :eek: . As it is, this will be an ongoing project over the course of many months as finances might allow upgrading and adding speakers, rear view camera, and other fitting accessories (head unit related and not).

In my google searching, I came across the website 6ave.com which had the Kenwood DNX-8120 Navigation/DVD System for $1498 - coupon code AFLKEN1048 = $1048 with free shipping.

Just before I push the 'buy' button, does anyone out there know of a better deal on this unit?

Also, should I be considering something else (or in addition) when looking for the 'all in one' head unit solution out there?

:)
The 5120 has a manual, actual physical volume knob. You get a slightly smaller screen, but believe me, I have had the 5120 and the 8120 in my smart and I would rather have the 5120 any day.

· Registered
672 Posts
I just had the Kenwood DNX8120 installed in mine and have been extremely pleased with it. I had "Auto Audio" here in LR, AR put it in (he has one in his smart as well) and will also be putting in some Focal speakers in it pretty soon. One of my requirements was the nav system along with the 13 band EQ. I have found that I really like the nav system because it has a big screen and is easy to read. I have already had some people comment that they didn't know it came with a nav system and how sharp it is. They thought that it was factory. I am really enjoying the 8120. I also ordered a protector film off of Ebay for it as well. By the way, does anyone have a background, and/or startup graphic that says "smart" for the Kenwood systems?

· Registered
225 Posts
between kenwood and pioneer. the kenwood lose. as far as dash kits for the cars go to ebay pay the shipping. go to any stereo shop they can get them now. the kits that is on ebay is prob from american international. not that i don't want to take the money from someon who advertises on here but u can find that kit anyware. more and more people are buying the cars.

· Registered
118 Posts
between kenwood and pioneer. the kenwood lose.
Just curious why do you say this? I like the interface of the Kenwood better. Of course this is personal opinion and like you we all have different tastes. Anything more specific like a particular feature?

I think Youtube is a great resource to see videos people have created showing different radios. It gives you a better idea on how to operate the actual device. Then you can decide which one you like better. On the Kenwood you can modify the colors of the buttons. I don't think you can do this with the Pioneer models. I also like the fact that Kenwood uses the Garmin navigation system. Not sure what Pioneer uses. My wife used to work for Destinator they sold their product to be bundled into many devices. I think Mio was an example. Sadly Destinator filed for bankruptcy so those that own them are out of luck. At least with the Kenwood I am not worried about Garmin closing its doors.

· Registered
225 Posts
the garmin nav for the kenwood is great but that is all i like about them. the menus on the kenwood have a learning curve to them just like alpine's. i have always had pioneer so i am kinda bias. since they have fixed almost all of the problems with the f series i would recomment them now.

· Registered
1,106 Posts
the icons and display in the F-series is very nice i will agree. it makes the other makers' displays look 20 years old, boxy icons, text, very old-looking and clunky, almost home-made looking interfaces. what i have seen of the F-series begins to come close to what we would and should expect in this age of iMacs and iphones and ipods. aesthetically pleasing, full color, well-rendered icons.

if only they had garmin in them!

· Registered
13 Posts
I have Kenwood DNX5120 installed last week. It was a straight forward installation. One of the major reason for Kenwood and 5120 are... Volume knob and Garmin. You will find Garmin software is extremely easy to use and simple graphics on the screen. I got my Kenwood new in box for $630 shipped from CartronixPlus.com and had good experience with them.

· Registered
1,945 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.