Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of the more than 20 new North Carolina laws that took effect on Wednesday January 1st 2014 was an increase in charges to PEV owners.

People who own a plug-in electric vehicle as of Wednesday now must pay an additional $100 fee during the car's initial registration or at its annual renewal.

Legislators have said such fees are about fairness, since such a car pays no gasoline taxes, which are used for road-building.

The new fee is expected to generate $120,000 for the Highway Fund during the 2014-15 fiscal year, according to the state budget.

New NC laws in new year alter campaigns, taxes | CharlotteObserver.com

http://www.ncleg.net/Applications/BillLookUp/LoadBillDocument.aspx?SessionCode=2013&DocNum=2770&SeqNum=0

WOW, generating a whopping $120,000 for the Highway Fund in FY 2014-15 - and in the budget for pothole repair, such a miniscule number would be lost in the rounding . . .

·
Registered
491 Posts
Very discouraging for us, the ones that are trying to clean pollution. It takes one of these guys in office to discourage millions of people of doing something good for everybody.

Unfortunately, this is the way it is: 10 people construct and thousands or millions destroy.:(

·
Registered
832 Posts
I thought in most states gasoline taxes are not enough for road maintenance, so a large share of to roads is actually paid for by the general fund (i.e. income and sales tax). So everybody is paying for roads already, gas or electric or even pedestrians!

This isn't about fairness. It's about the overwhelming majority of voters driving gasoline cars and being jealous!

·
Registered
491 Posts
What about charging $0 for registration on electric cars? So this will be one more reason for more people to buy/lease a pure electric car.
Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution.

·
Registered
491 Posts
To be fair, everyone using the roads should bear a portion of the maintenance costs. Otherwise, it's a free ride. $100 out of a $7,500 rebate is not unreasonable IMHO. :wink:
How fair?
We all use the roads and pay for the use of the roads already in some way. Gasoline taxes are imposed so people may look for other means for transportation.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yup, sidewalks are underutilized and walking is not nearly as crowded as it was back in the day . . . :wink:
I have a nice bike. Oh but I guess I'll have to pay bike tax because I'm using the sidewalks and the streets.:D
Skateboardings is another clean/green transportation.:)

·
Registered
493 Posts
next step is ROAD USE TAX based on miles driven.... Ny has enacted this to supplement its deficit.... if you drive a horse and buggy (AMISH) or ride a bicycle you're exempt.
but for how long... roads arent cheap.

·
Registered
235 Posts
How did they come up with that number? $100.00 is pretty high for a smart car.
I think a smart would be hard pressed to do 25,000 miles a year. My gas smart avg. 38 MPG so that would be 658 gl. what is the gas tax in NC .12 ? or $79.00 would be the max a EV smart should have to pay and be fair.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Same thing is going on with SDG&E and solar power owners. SDG&E is pushing the Calif. Public Utilities Commission to let them charge a flat $40/mo fee to people who utilize solar power. They call it the cost of maintaining the grid, saying that if you are on the grid, you don't get to use it for free.

In the long run, that's how it's going to go, EV's or solar. There are still costs to pay and everyone who uses the roads/grid/or whatever is going to get charged for it.

There was a big drought here a couple years ago and the water companies asked everyone to cut back their H2O usage, which they did, by more than a third. So the water companies raised their rates, saying they was not enough of a revenue stream due to lowered volume. My water usage was down 40+%, but my water bill is higher that it ever was. You can't win with these idiots, its just not possible

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow... I wonder if this will happen in my neck of the woods. We use solar power in our home too.

Same thing is going on with SDG&E and solar power owners. SDG&E is pushing the Calif. Public Utilities Commission to let them charge a flat $40/mo fee to people who utilize solar power. They call it the cost of maintaining the grid, saying that if you are on the grid, you don't get to use it for free.

In the long run, that's how it's going to go, EV's or solar. There are still costs to pay and everyone who uses the roads/grid/or whatever is going to get charged for it.

There was a big drought here a couple years ago and the water companies asked everyone to cut back their H2O usage, which they did, by more than a third. So the water companies raised their rates, saying they was not enough of a revenue stream due to lowered volume. You can't win with these idiots, its just not possible.

·
Registered
511 Posts
As I've said before, I live in Mid-NC. Am I wrong or do many countries give credits of various sorts for driving an electric vehicle?
We do have a new administration in Raleigh-McCory gov. Not your best friend-and I say this as a staunch conservative.
"In the interest of fairness".mmmm...So in the interest of fairness the people who do not have a listed vehicle will now have to pay x amount because in one way or another they use our roads as well.
Also, don't know the details yet but will smart car EV owners get out of any fees?
So, the tax inherent in gas prices goes to improve our roads...? All of it?
"I am reducing American dependence on both domestic and foreign oil consumption"
"You can do that but you must pay more for the right.
"We have a vested interest in improving??? maintaining??? the roads of our lovely state. You cannot get out of that by sneaking around and not paying a tax on gas.
Cough up the $120 protection ahem ....the fair contribution to our infrastructure..
or no one will come and break your legs, but you'll get that fancy 'lectrict buggy taken away"

·
Registered
462 Posts
The pollution from a gas car costs taxpayers much more than $100 a year when you take into account all of its consequences.

There's a reason why the "real" cost of gasoline is in the $12-16 a gallon range.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Very discouraging for us, the ones that are trying to clean pollution. It takes on of these guys in office to discourage millions of people of doing something good for everybody.

Unfortunately, this is the way it is: 10 people construct and thousands or millions destroy.:(
I've actually read a study recently by the government in the UK which compared the whole life-cycle of EVs and ICEs. On average the EV did come out a bit ahead, but that is only the average ICW-powered car, I have no doubt that for a very efficient ICE it would be very competitive with an EV for life-cylce environmental impact. If you were to look at the next level of ICEs like those coming from the Edison II folk, my guess is that they would have less impact than an EV over the life-cycle of the vehicle. So, If I drive and ICE-powered smart, it's really not much worse over it's life than an E-powered vehicle.

To be fair, everyone using the roads should bear a portion of the maintenance costs. Otherwise, it's a free ride. $100 out of a $7,500 rebate is not unreasonable IMHO. :wink:
In fact, on balance, the amount is WAY too low. Either they should stand on their own merits or fail. Why should I have to help pay for someone else's toy? It's a gross injustice frankly!

How fair?
We all use the roads and pay for the use of the roads already in some way. Gasoline taxes are imposed so people may look for other means for transportation.
The gas taxes in most states are big revenue-generating schemes. Those funds, which should go to build and maintain the roads are robbed by the politicians to fund their other favorite projects. Truth be told, there is money coming in, but it's being diverted.

The pollution from a gas car costs taxpayers much more than $100 a year when you take into account all of its consequences.

There's a reason why the "real" cost of gasoline is in the $12-16 a gallon range.
Nonsense. When you start looking at the life-cycle of an EV, which would likely include an extra set or two of batteries over the same life as an ICE-powered car, they are not that far off. Then, when you look at very fuel-efficient ICE's there is little to no benefit economically. Yeah, there may be some additional costs while mining gas, but it's not anywhere near that. Don't forget that the batteries used in most EVs aren't environmentally impact-free; and, when you need 2-3 sets over the equivalent ICE-powered vehicle, which can go 200-300K miles, the EV starts to look WAY less appealing! That's reality!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've actually read a study recently by the government in the UK which compared the whole life-cycle of EVs and ICEs. On average the EV did come out a bit ahead, but that is only the average ICW-powered car, I have no doubt that for a very efficient ICE it would be very competitive with an EV for life-cylce environmental impact.
All those studies use the "mix" of energy sources powering the grid where the study is done. i.e. coal, oil, gas, etc.
Those of us who use only solar wind and water to charge their cars are lightyears ahead of that comparison!

Try using solar to fill up the tank on your gas-guzzler. :)

There is also an urban myth that supposedly producing the battery uses more energy than driving the car a lifetime. This is often repeated but that doesn't make it true. For the smart, you can recover the energy cost of battery production in ~ 10000 miles, and that's just using the savings compared to a gas smart, not a dinosaur SUV.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I thought in most states gasoline taxes are not enough for road maintenance, so a large share of to roads is actually paid for by the general fund (i.e. income and sales tax). So everybody is paying for roads already, gas or electric or even pedestrians!

This isn't about fairness. It's about the overwhelming majority of voters driving gasoline cars and being jealous!
Road taxes going into the general funds seem to be a bigger problem around here.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
NC gas tax is currently 38.2 cents/gallon. Look it up if you don't believe it. Yes, states have had a reputation of canibalizing gas tax revenues for other uses but not all states do that. In my state, WV, the population is low enough that gas tax revenue does not cover all the yearly cost of road maintenance in this large state. The geographic location of the state also influences costs of maintaining roads. States with severe Winters have a higher road maintenance cost/mile because of salt damage and heaving damage. North Carolina has some pretty nasty ice storms that require road treatment.

So, this is only a "one-time" fee at initial registration! The EV owner will be getting off cheap! At 10K miles/year and 40 mpg, the NC ICE owner would pay $90.50/year in state gas tax. During the first year of ownership, the EV owner would, more or less, break even on state road tax, not to mention the savings/mile for electricity vs gas. After that, the EV owner would be using the state roads for free. Since the ICE owners have to subsidize purchases of EVs, why shouldn't EV owners help pay for maintaining roads they use?!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Those taxes imposed are to maintain the politicians' life style. While we drive a small electric car they drive their big suburbans or 4x4s burning gas that they don't pay for and having vacations that we only dream about. They forgot about being there by the people and for the people. They are there for them selves.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts