Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have a tiny oil leak. Oil ends up dripping off the end of my oil filter and blowing back on the muffler and making a stink. I first thought it was the oil sending unit, so I replaced it and still have the drip. Next I replaced the oil filter and still a drip, so next is a front crankshaft seal. Possibly they call it a timing case cover seal. To me it is still a front crank seal. I have searched Auto Zone, Advance Auto parts, O'Reileys and Rock Auto. A google and a Bing search brings up a single E-bay ad for the seal from West Corvina Mercedes Benz dealership. The seal is 5.09 and the shipping comes to over 15.00 ! I can't see spending $15 to ship a $5 seal that could easily be put in an envelope and mailed for a dollar. It a quote for Fed Ex and NOT the US mail, they don't give that option. But does anyone know where I can find this seal short of the U.K ? I may have to bite the bullet and pay those unreasonable shipping rates, but not unless I have to. Not being a tight a$$ but what can a person do? DCO

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Had a similar issue with an oil leak. I figured out it was from a plug on the side of the block above and to the left a bit from the oil filter. In the picture, it is the plug just above where the wires show. Round plug with a hex hole in it for an Allen key. I added silicone around it and under the head where the gasket is and tightened it down (cleaned it first of course)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Why don't you give West Covina a call at: 1(626) 430-3700 & direct your call to the smart Parts Dept. Ask them if they can put the seal in a Ready Pac envelope and mail it to you. Let us know the results. Remember, there is a 3 hour time difference. West Covina is on PDLS time.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Had a similar issue with an oil leak. I figured out it was from a plug on the side of the block above and to the left a bit from the oil filter. In the picture, it is the plug just above where the wires show. Round plug with a hex hole in it for an Allen key. I added silicone around it and under the head where the gasket is and tightened it down (cleaned it first of course)

That plug is actually the block coolant drain !!!

No oil involved........if there is, a drip it the least of your problems :D

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
it is the turbo oil line connection I was told. When I opened it, a bit of oil drained out. Pretty sure it was an oil system line

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
All I can say is that I spent 2 weeks drying off the oil and trying oil filter' oil sensor, seal. I still had a leak until I removed the plug and sealed it, Maybe I have a block that is oil cooled' but when I removed the plug, about a teaspoon of oil cane out and after I sealed it' I did nit have any oil leaks' no more burning oil smell and the back of the car was not covered in oil spots (after driving for an hour)

Justt saying what worked for me and that was 9,000 miles ago. Still no leaks and the oil level is still on the full mark. When I removed the plug, I would think I would be soaked with coolant if it was for draining the water jacket. It is a pretty small plug for a coolant drain. But I never claim to have all the answers, just run into all the strange problems I guess

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you JimVw57, I will check out that plug as soon as I can get the car back in the garage. I emptied a 8x14 building contents that bellongs to my stepson in my garage so that we can dismantle the building and take it to his house. Then I'll haul the contents out. But I am curious about the plug. I honestly don't think it's the crank seal because the part of the engine forward is bone dry. I think if it was leaking at the seal it would throw a little oil around despite the air blowing it towards the muffler as I drive. It's all concentrated around the oil filter area with a drip at the bottom of it. I kind of wish I had left the engine dirty. I cleaned it to shiny proportions and the oil and MMO is almost clear and hard to see. You just have to feel around. It makes sense to me that the turbo would have an oil line going to it the oil the bearing, but I don't want to take sides....I like all of you. By the way I just ordered a turbo emblem to put on my tailgate....Do you think it will help Max run a little faster? DCO

·
Super Moderator
1,610 Posts
All I can say is that I spent 2 weeks drying off the oil and trying oil filter' oil sensor, seal. I still had a leak until I removed the plug and sealed it, Maybe I have a block that is oil cooled' but when I removed the plug, about a teaspoon of oil cane out and after I sealed it' I did nit have any oil leaks' no more burning oil smell and the back of the car was not covered in oil spots (after driving for an hour)

Just saying what worked for me and that was 9,000 miles ago. Still no leaks and the oil level is still on the full mark. When I removed the plug, I would think I would be soaked with coolant if it was for draining the water jacket. It is a pretty small plug for a coolant drain. But I never claim to have all the answers, just run into all the strange problems I guess
I know less than nothing about the Smart ICE engines. I'm just going by what I know about other engines and what similar plugs do on them. If you have access to the EPC, look up what that plug is called or post your VIN and I'll look it up. I'm curious now.

Len
2014 EV

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
I only posted because it sounds like what I experienced and checking that plug is much easier than the crank seal. Worth a try at least. It isn't the only plug under there and Iam sure there is a drain for the water jacket on there too. I am a bit far away from my smart right now so I can't list a vin. Good luck with the move!!

The turbo emblem should give you a good. .005 HP !!

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I only posted because it sounds like what I experienced and checking that plug is much easier than the crank seal. Worth a try at least. It isn't the only plug under there and Iam sure there is a drain for the water jacket on there too. I am a bit far away from my smart right now so I can't list a vin. Good luck with the move!!

The turbo emblem should give you a good. .005 HP !!
OK Jim,

You have me curious now............perhaps there are 2 plugs. I'll have to crawl under tomorrow and take a peek !!!

I know for a fact that the block plug looks just like that !!! (perhaps it's to the right of the filter ?)

I'll let you know what I see in the morning :D

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,786 Posts
HEMI upgrade

While Barney's turbo upgrade was the ultimate, my "butt dyno" registered HUGE increases in HP with my "HEMI" upgrade . . .

Attachments

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The turbo emblem might not make Max any faster, but hopefully it will keep the tailgaters back far enough that they don't get sucked up the tailpipe. I sure would like to have a real turbo, but it's price inhibitive for me and I just don't want to get into all the mods that go with it to set it all up and dial it in. But for a mere $3.71 I can have the emblem to proudly display on Max's posterior region.

A Brabus fuel rail cover is next and I know it's good for a few horses.(as long as the velcro holds out)

Look out Dodge Challenger Hellcat here I come. The Fortwo and the hellcat is the tortoise and hare concept. In a quarter mile the hellcat is a clear winner, but in a l-o-n-g distance race the Fortwo would win because the hellcat would run out of gas....did I mention that I bought a TURBO emblem? DCO

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually MBDNA the Mitsubishi engine in our Fortwo is a Hemi. I has a hemispherical combustion chamber. The chamber is domed with 2 valves on each side and the spark plug in the middle for maximum flame propogation.

So you are telling the truth in a way. Usually domed pistons would be a part of the equation but we just have flat tops, but yet the compression is a respectable 10 to 1. So I guess I'm the one lying with my Turbo emblem that's on the way. The closest thing resembling a Turbo on my Fortwo would be the blower motor for the A/C heater. lol

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,786 Posts
Yep, knew that but try to explain it to the "doubters."

Thanks, your picture tells it best...

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Sorry I haven't gotten a chance to help with the part as West Covina is local to me. Been very preoccupied lately. I'm afraid it is on the 10 FWY, which gets bad traffic as well.

That turbo emblem looks HEAVY! Looks like it might slow you down.... ��

I have been loving the improvement the Brabus front spoiler has had on freeway stability. I know it was designed for the facelift smart of '13 and up, but maybe you can do a retrofit. Early on I got the rear Brabus spoiler, but gave up trying to source the front for a while. I'm not sure the difference of just having the front on, but it's something you might want to look into DCO...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Actually MBDNA the Mitsubishi engine in our Fortwo is a Hemi. I has a hemispherical combustion chamber. The chamber is domed with 2 valves on each side and the spark plug in the middle for maximum flame propogation.
So you are telling the truth in a way. Usually domed pistons would be a part of the equation but we just have flat tops, but yet the compression is a respectable 10 to 1. So I guess I'm the one lying with my Turbo emblem that's on the way. The closest thing resembling a Turbo on my Fortwo would be the blower motor for the A/C heater. lol
Not to be picking fly poop out of the pepper but technically speaking, the smart combustion chamber would more correctly be called a pent-roof design, in my opinion. (Worthless though it is.) A true hemispherical combustion chamber would have a true rounded, or domed shape, and the pairs of intake or exhaust valve stems would not be in the same plane. The two terms are often used interchangeably, however incorrect that may be. I shall refuse to join in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts