Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
It's a wonder they can stay open with the low hourly rates on their website...

Would like to see their theft control process, lot of stuff there to be grabbed.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
It was tried near here but insurance costs killed it. The shop closed within a few months of opening and it's never been tried again.

Better luck in VA. It's a great idea in principle.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,084 Posts
My wife and I were just talking about a similar idea the other day, but we envisioned more of a club with membership so that not just anyone could walk in (e.g. SAMS Club). And, then, perhaps you could do a more expensive single use fee.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
When I was in the Navy, many of the bases had "Hobby Shops" where military could work on their cars in a garage atmosphere. It gave the sailors who lived on ships and had cars a place to work on their cars without having to buy their own tools or rent a garage spot.

·
Registered
946 Posts
At Fort Knox during the early 1970's, we even had a base hobby photo lab, where you not only could develop your film and print up your own photos, but also where they would order odd film sizes for you (I had a Speedgraphic camera (think 1930's Front Page style photography, with the big flash units), and where they provided the paper for printing black and white photos (but not color). One of the "benefits" of being in the military that didn't often get much publicity, particularly when we were all being drafted...

·
Super Moderator
11,234 Posts
there was a place in Bloomington years ago. Insurance costs killed it. Might be a doable option now with all the abandoned dealerships nowdays..

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
When I was in the Navy, many of the bases had "Hobby Shops" where military could work on their cars in a garage atmosphere. It gave the sailors who lived on ships and had cars a place to work on their cars without having to buy their own tools or rent a garage spot.
:woohoo: spent MANY hours in the "Auto Hobby Shop".................luv'ed it !!! :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts