Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All;
I have removed the motor (cradle and all, not an easy task :) )
I have taken the motor apart; head is rubbish; block is warped beyond the threshold.. and the cylinder walls have some minor scoring....
This means I need to source a motor as fixing this one, is not financially sensible at all.... (Not even sure reboring this block is possible; wasn't able to find any real information online)
Car only has 40K on the clock... :(
I have searched the internet and discovered 'supposedly' many used engines out there - but deeper diving and reviewing the BBB records - many of these 'suppliers' are selling garbage.
No less than 9 companies represented are in fact the SAME people with false addresses. (MI and WI)
My preference is that I can speak to a person and come see what I'd potentially be buying.
Any and all help is so greatly appreciated!
Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ian, I will try and help, too. Where are you at, btw.
Thanks Wahi... I maybe good to go.

After many phone calls with real people and the tip from Bob, I was able to end up speaking to a bloke in Oregon.

He has a bunch of Smart (451) in various conditions, mostly front end buggered.

Each has the engine still in the car.

He is sending me a 2013 motor with only 26K on the clock. (3 month warranty also)

Also got myself some replacement alloys (I'll spare you the story).

Also probably getting a full set of body panels from him in the future also (I don't need them, but I'd like my car not to be a different colour lol)

To both of you, for your time taken to reply; thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts