Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked over several threads about speakers and this mind just can't pair the info with what I have in my car.
Info seems to have been for 2008 cars, and on cursory glance, it doesn't seem to match up with my car.

We have a 2012 Smart car, coupe.
It had the very basic Smart radio, with only front speakers -- no rears or sub.
I installed another stereo.
I want to put in different front speakers and add rear speakers.

So....
1) Can I install new front door speakers without taking off the outer door skin??? Can I just pull off the old speaker grills? (Seems that there were some threads about having to remove the outer door skin??!! Wow. Really?)

2) I have read variably that the leads for rear speakers are in place already. In fact, the Smart plug-in for speakers had wires that equated with leads that would power rears and even a sub -- so these MUST be in place somewhere, Nyet?
So, where and how do I find the rear speaker leads?? I don't want anything special or fancy, darn it. This is just a city communter car and I don't want to spend money or time customizing it. Just rear speakers and be done.
I saw a previous thread that pointed to the general location where the wires should be, behind the front seat posts. How do I get to them? Do I pull panels?
Where do I put a couple 6" rear speakers?

I can cut holes, mount speaker grills, and wire -- but would prefer someone's expertise in direction, so I don't have to reinvent zee steenkin wheel.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Door speakers can be done without removing door skin, but you destroy the OEM grilled and speakers. That's what I did. Installed 6.5" components. I used the OEM plugs from the old speakers as well. With the upgrade to doors I personally would not bother with rear speakers. There is a video out there on how to do speakers with skins on, it looks kind of crude but the OEM stuff is junk anyhow. I have installed the JL Audio stealth box as well. In process of hooking up amp....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Door speakers can be done without removing door skin, but you destroy the OEM grilled and speakers. That's what I did. Installed 6.5" components. I used the OEM plugs from the old speakers as well. With the upgrade to doors I personally would not bother with rear speakers. There is a video out there on how to do speakers with skins on, it looks kind of crude but the OEM stuff is junk anyhow. I have installed the JL Audio stealth box as well. In process of hooking up amp....
PaperM - thanks.
1) So, do I just pop off the stock front spkr grills? Are they press-fit, or am I destroying something?
2) Video about speakers? IF on this website, I'll find it.

Thx again.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
The correct way would be to remove the door skin (which isn't that hard to do) and the alternate way would be to destroy the speaker grille and speaker, which you are replacing anyhow and attach from the speaker side. My latest smart (2008) has the rear speakers mounted on the rear hatch plastic. You still have storage but need to be a little careful you don't damage the speakers if you put some big stuff in there.

Youtube.com has a number of videos on removing the door skins and a few on hacking it out without removing the door skins

Hack job

the right way to do it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim -- fantastic, and major thank you.

This forum is great! Wow.

Your responses prompted me to take responsibility and spend some time doing my own research -- and possibly to help others who start off like me -- impatient to just git-er-dun without having to think too much.
Here is the thread showing step by step installation of speakers (non-video format) without removal of the door skin: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f369/diy-step-step-speaker-installation-door-10509/

IN REGARDS TO REAR SPEAKERS...
Still have the question about rear speakers and the wiring (is the car pre-wired for rears, and if so, where they bee's?).
I would be worried about mounting the spkrs on the rear hatch, as we cram lotsa stuff into the rear area, so contact would be inevitable.
For the next person, the thread addressing installation in the rear hatch is at http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f76/rear-speakers-diy-12566/

Found this thread on this forum showing spkrs mounted in the removeable side covers low in the rear sides -- but we are pretty careless about stored baggage in the "trunk", so they'd likely get damaged (see at http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f76/i-have-rear-speaker-solution-69305/ ).

There was a response by the Bohemian Moderator in another thread which shows a diagram of the rough location of speakers, and states "...Tweeter wires should be in the triangles inside behind the door mirrors and rear speaker wires should be under each of the rear upper side panels". (Thread located at http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f76/help-need-2011-pure-radio-wiring-harness-diagram-39617/ )

I found a thread that shows speakers mounted in the rear, up high on the side panels, but no details regarding size restrictions and other advice. Found on page 2 in http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/fo...eakers-your-2008-2010-smart-36338/index2.html
He had to cut spacer rings to provide clearance at the back of the spkrs.
Below are the pics from that post by gbryers.

I think I will replace the fronts and evaluate the sound before deciding to put in rear speakers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Glad you were able to find the information you needed! I couldn't say adding more speakers is the way to go when you have such a small space inside a smart but then I am not qualified to say one way or the other.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Excuse the dust, but this is where the OEM speakers are. Would be easiest to order OEM panels with them and have a spot that blends in. Not sure on the size though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Some aftermarket 6.5's will make a large enough difference that in betting you won't bother with the back ones. I put my tweeters in the doors like on evolution site, should have put them up a little higher. I like the sail panel spot or the dash vents on the 09's.

·
Registered
375 Posts
1) destroying the grille
2) the "hack job" video. It's really not that much of a hack job and the moisture shield stays intact. The stuff is junk anyhow if you go with larger speakers.

What did you install for stereo? Aftermarket? I put in a Pioneer app radio but took it out as it was to distracting with text messages coming in, voice prompts, etc...... put the radio ten back in. Have a line converter, Rockford 400x4 amp, and some wiring left to do and I will be done. Anxious to hear this thing??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...What did you install for stereo? Aftermarket? I put in a Pioneer app radio but took it out as it was to distracting with text messages coming in, voice prompts, etc...... put the radio ten back in. Have a line converter, Rockford 400x4 amp, and some wiring left to do and I will be done. Anxious to hear this thing����
I had two Chinese radios from over 6-7 years ago (single DIN, but with larger-than-DIN screens that were permanent but detachable faces that extended below the bottom of the unit). One was an Eonon that I could not get to work.
The other was a no-name brand that went right in without problems (had to swap two power pins - swapped cont. power/memory and IGN power pins). Too easy.
The nice thing about the face of the radio is that it has a motorized control to adjust the angle of the face.
Also nice that it has an IR remote, bluetooth, and can play DVDs/CD/MP4/MP3, plus has an accessory port that I can adapt for USB/Flash drive with music. Also has a port for a rearview camera. It has NAV, but I have no SD card for it (prob out of date anyway). Has some other stuff probably, but I'm not that interested in finding out.

Had to modify the Metra installation kit (it was their double-DIN with optional storage tray) to fit the width of the stereo; also had to shave off some of the top of the tray for the radio to slide over, but looks fine and works well. ENded up not having to use the speaker and power plugs that came with the Metra installation kit, as those on the unit married correctly for speakers and everything else (except swapping the memory and ignition pins).

·
Registered
375 Posts
You will have no problem installing new speakers either way by the sounds of it. You will need to keep the oem connector from the speaker and solder it to the new ones, then you could hot glue it to new speakers. Mine are only powered by the radio 10 now, huge sound difference. With some aftermarket power, you should be happy with some quality speakers?

·
Registered
598 Posts
We have a 2013. It also came with the awful sounding 2 speaker base radio. My wifes previous smart(a 2008) had the upgraded sound system with the little underseat sub, which sounded pretty good for what it was. Then, she had a Fiat 500 with the beats audio upgrade, which is also a nice setup (not worth what they charge though).
So when we got the 2013 she asked if i could get a better sound system. i went with a Clarion head unit, and Replaced the door speakers with Kenwood KFC1665S 6.5" Coax. She wanted rear speakers, so i went with Kenwood KFC1065S 4" coax. They are shallow enough to mount at the stock location of the smart 'surround sound' system." Then a powered sub, a Kenwood KSC-SW11. It's not an insane thumper, but it does fill in the bottom nicely. It is mounted on the engine bulkhead behind the drivers seat.
I can tell you that having those little 4" Kenwoods in the back makes a big difference. I have faded them out and run on fronts only and the difference is pretty noticeable.
Here is the thread with pictures of the equipment installed.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f76/my-new-audio-system-95969/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Did you end up doing anything??

Paper,
Thanks for asking -- I meant to followup, but forgot.
I popped off the original Smart speaker grills, pulled out (hacked out) the original speakers, enlarged the speaker opening to fit some new 6.5" speakers.
I also removed the original plug-ins from the old Smart speakers and soldered them to the new speakers so that I could use the original speaker connectors on the Smart car -- per previously described methods.
Since the speaker grills from the new speakers were the kind that were not entirely enclosed, I was worried that my foot might kick dirt or otherwise damage the speaker cones due to lack of protection, so I re-used the original Smart speaker grills for more full proection of the new speakers. I had to jury rig a means of attachment using some baling wire, but as far as I am concerned, it looks fine and works great.

The sound improvement was immense, so I did not bother with rear speakers.

Attached are some pics of the Chinese single DIN unit that I installed -- touchscreen, MP3, adjustable equalizer, aux input for MP3 players, input for rear cam, and the face tilt is adjustable to any angle, plus it has a remote control, which is kinda neat. It has NAV/GPS, but I do not have the right SD card for NAV -- but no loss, as my cell phone is probably better.

The face slightly covers the cubby underneath the 1-DIN radio, but this is great to hide stuff -- and it is fully accessible when the face of the radio is angled up.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have the sub under the seat and dash tweeters, it's ok for the listening levels I use so far. Is there enough space behind the panels for deeper speakers?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts