Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi long story short I bought a used 2008 smart for two passion I noticed it burned 8oz of oil per week and the car had 49k when I got it. I had more problem with a belt and I cooked the engine. I plan to and have pulled engine out to rebuild and repair because I just want to try it. I built race engines for years so I can handle most of it but I never did any work to cars so now my questions are how and can I un bolt tourqe converter from crank without take more things apart and does anyone know where I can find a ring bearing and gaskets kit for these. I have a 1.0 liter 3 cyclinder and I believe its the 451? any question coments etc would be great im easy going so feel free to call me crazy etc good day

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,084 Posts
Jack the rear of the car high in the air. Remove rear tires and disconnect the rear shocks. put a jack under the engine to support it (use wood between engine and jack because the oil pan is aluminum and could easily be damaged. There is a motor mount on the left and right of the engine, release those. That leaves a rocker mount still connected on the side of the engine facing the front of the vehicle. Right mount can be accessed fairly easily. To get at the left mount you have to remove the airbox and it is hard to get out. You will have to disconnect and remove the muffler and the rear cross member that is behind the muffler. Heater hoses and wiring can be disconnected when you lower the engine some. Remove the A/C compressor from the engine and leave the hoses connected. Remove the bolt in the last motor mount from the front side center of the engine.Then you can unbolt the engine from the transmission and they will completely separate. The engine weighs 125 pounds dry. The transmission weighs 75 pounds so be sure you support it before separating the engine from it.This is a very general tutorial on removing the engine as I didn't go into the details. It just takes patients, good tools and a dry clean warm place to remove it. DCO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts