Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to this group. I’ve had a 2006 450 CDI for 3 years. It came from a tow yard. Story I got, it belonged to an elderly Canadian man who passed away while shopping here in Fort Myers FL. Car sat a bit till Publix had it towed. I guess he had no family local. I saw it, liked it. Found no key. Had not one idea how tight the Smarts are. Deal with the tow guy was a ‘working key’. He dropped it off the end of his roll back, flat tires. Gave me a used center console with a key in it. Flash forward 2.5 years. I got a working SAM, key , dash, ECU and a Star machine. Before I made the Star, I had sent the dash, keys, ECU and SAM to a shop in the Pacific North West who advertised they had a Smart on hand to program everything and make sure it is as right. They made me buy a spare SAM and ECU too. I get them back, still 3 bars on the dash and nothing working. I call a local foreign car locksmith who said he has a Star. Guy didn’t know how to use it. So I went on another Smart forum, found some help and made a Star machine. The day I ‘trained’ the car, I took videos. Sent them to the shop in the PNW. Guy gave me all my money back a year later. He had no Smart. Then I found I had a bad starter. Got that in after a false start (wrong starter in right box). Now I’m waiting on a low pressure fuel pump when I was ready to start it. Mine made an awful squeal then locked up. I had the car up on jack stands all four corners for a few weeks. Learned how to swap the back bolts to the front to drop the engine down and work on it. Motor is spinning. Hope to have it running soon.
I saw the torn up front pan (and the aluminum guard on the condenser box) when I had it up. I missed all this 3 years ago when I bought it, it had been well taken care of and I had no clue.
So this 61 YO guy is looking for a yard (used part) or reproduction part to fix it right. I’m far far far from an expert, but I am willing to help with what I can , what I learned and know to get others on the road. Hope to be there myself soon.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome! I'll see if I can locate a part number for that panel on my '05, and maybe we can find a source.
Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

I hope this is the number. I got the car up on all for corners. Was under it looking at the tank. Seems easy to drop the one side to get to the pump. That should be in next week, I dusted off the Star PC and figure I look at everything there once I through the SAM. Thanks again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
View attachment 70280
I hope this is the number. I got the car up on all for corners. Was under it looking at the tank. Seems easy to drop the one side to get to the pump. That should be in next week, I dusted off the Star PC and figure I look at everything there once I through the SAM. Thanks again.
View attachment 70280
I probably have the front lower splash pan, i am in east Tennessee
View attachment 70280
I need a sam unit for an 06 diesel 450 smart if you have an extra one i have a front lower panel and some other parts in east tennesseel!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I need a sam unit for an 06 diesel 450 smart if you have an extra one i have a front lower panel and some other parts in east tennesseel!
I also have a diesel fuel pump, have several of the panels 6 or 8, some are from gas 450.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do. Give me a few weeks to get this running and I'll know if I can sell it (SAM). The shop in the PNW made me buy a spare SAM and a ECU. They said they had to have it that way to keep the VIN tag right in the SAM. I know some states inspect and plug into the ECUs. I wonder how many actually plug into a Smart?

Right now I'm laid up. I 'nice' guy ran a red light, hit me near head on in our brand new, 2 week old Subaru Ascent Touring. Waiting on hearing if it's totaled. I haven't had an accident like this in 30 years. He was doing 45 and I was under 10. Still very sore. He got the tickets.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I do. Give me a few weeks to get this running and I'll know if I can sell it (SAM). The shop in the PNW made me buy a spare SAM and a ECU. They said they had to have it that way to keep the VIN tag right in the SAM. I know some states inspect and plug into the ECUs. I wonder how many actually plug into a Smart?

Right now I'm laid up. I 'nice' guy ran a red light, hit me near head on in our brand new, 2 week old Subaru Ascent Touring. Waiting on hearing if it's totaled. I haven't had an accident like this in 30 years. He was doing 45 and I was under 10. Still very sore. He got the tickets.
Sounds good, my number is 4235526396

1 - 8 of 8 Posts