Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,772 Posts
Per the manual it is supposed to be a lifetime oil, but here is a video on changing it.

https://youtu.be/JIQYjrYYRGU

It sounds like your clutch actuator isn't working (probably the cause of the check engine light). Aside from servicing the clutch actuator you can try disconnecting the battery. Wait 30 minutes then hook it back up. Sometimes that's enough to resolve the issue, sometimes it's just a band-aid.

·
Super Moderator
17,772 Posts
The check engine light came on because you requested the car to shift into a gear and the car failed to do it. If you were to pull the code you'd likely get some code relating to the transmission. Once the issue is resolved it will take a few run cycles for the light to turn off. Some scanners can turn the light off immediately.

Before I replaced my 2012's battery it had gotten weak enough to where it wouldn't start the car when the temps were like -20 F or below and the car was sitting for more than a day. The starter ran, but it just didn't have enough power to start the car. From how you're describing things your starter doesn't even run, so it would seem the starting process is being blocked be it by a bad brake switch or transmission fault. Brake switch faults can be intermittent as can actuator faults, so I can't say with certainty whether temps had anything to do with it. The car should be able to start at -20 (Celsius or Fahrenheit).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts