Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking for a used smart car with less than 30k miles on it i don't really care where it is but i live in VA closer the better but i can travel up to like 1 k miles to get it. does any one have a passion coupe for sale? under 11000 color doesn't matter because i'm most likely just getting it painted lime green :D any advice with smart cars and what do you all think of me getting NTSOSMRT on my license plates ha ha:smartje:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Notso: I found what I wanted on "Auto Trader" . Lots there to look at and you can see what the asking prices are.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would say CarMax but they don't have any in that area. There are a bunch in the company you can transfer in to a Virginia store though. Or by new and probably get a deal on one that been sitting around for a while plus good financing!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have always been leery of buying from individuals. You get no warranty, except under rare conditions where the car has transferable warranty. We bought our 2013 Smart from a MB Smart center as a "Certified" pre-owned car. I was very happy with my purchase. In close inspection, the dealer had changed fluids, ensured the tires were not worn beyond acceptable limits, and everything worked. There are exceptions, however. Bring along a "car smart" friend to look at a private sale car. Negotiate. Consider where the car is "home." I need not expand on this comment.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Here in Minnesota, the Car 2 Go program has pretty much disappeared and the local dealers seem to be flooded with their inventory of smarts. Less than 1k miles (one had 35 miles on it) and lots of options going for right around $9000. have 2 guys at work that both bought one and they had leather seats, navigation, Power windows, etc.full warranty too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i'm looking for a used smart car with less than 30k miles on it i don't really care where it is but i live in VA closer the better but i can travel up to like 1 k miles to get it. does any one have a passion coupe for sale? under 11000 color doesn't matter because i'm most likely just getting it painted lime green :D any advice with smart cars and what do you all think of me getting NTSOSMRT on my license plates ha ha:smartje:
From my post below I found several almost new 2015 ex-Car2Go cars (like mine) that are about 22 miles from you. That dealer, which I don't know anything about, has 4 left @ $8500 each, with 15-18 miles on them according to their website.

In my interpretation the 2015 ex-Car2Go car is a Pure with the following added:
- Power Windows
- Touch screen NAV with Bluetooth
- Leather, heated seats
(and then missing the glove box door which you can add if wanted)

Link to thread on the forum here:
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/2015-smart-cars-131305/#post1455481

Link to some dealers website:
CarLotz | The Consignment Store for Cars | Midlothian, VA

Best of luck, let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
907 Posts
"USED" Smarts from Car2go cars was the first thing I thought when I read your original post.
Many of these cars have less than 500 miles and they certainly aren't going up in value.
I'll bet you can get one for between $7000 and $9000 if you know how to deal.
I bought my 2009 Smart cabriolet w/ heated seats, new tires, fresh oil change from a private owner with 48,000 for $3900.
I put a ad on craigslist looking for someone who was thinking of trading in or wanting to sell to CarMax.
It took a month and a half, but I got a call while I was in Phoenix, test driving a Smart I saw on Craigslist. On my way home I stopped in Henderson, NV and saw the car I bought.
The offer I posted on Craigslist was $200 to $500 more than any bonafide written offer from CarMax or Dealer in CASH.
He showed me the "CarMax 7 day offer" we laughed a bit at the offer and we settled on $3900.
We did the deal at Wells Fargo Bank. I cashed a check and handed him the money straight from the teller, so he was sure it was good money.

I was happy and he was happy, easy peasy.
It does take patience.

It still amazes me that people will ACCEPT a lowball CarMax offer, but NOT the same OFFER from a private party.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I purchased my Smart Car two weeks ago. I used "Autolist". Every Smart in the country is listed there. Download the app to your smartphone. You can sort every way imaginable. Some dealers will ship anywhere in the USA for $300. One of those dealers was in Virginia, close to you. Transporters will charge $600-$750.

I purchased a 2014 Black Brabus Edition Smart. I found it using Autolist two hours away in Memphis, TN. It was listed by the Mercedes Benz dealer in Memphis. It had 38,800 miles, but I still have 11,000 miles or 14 months left on the warranty to shake any potential problems out before I'm out of warranty. The car was listed for $7,500. I wanted to find a Smart with less than 20,000 miles, but I was happy with the trade off. The higher mileage gave me some negotiating power. I developed a relationship over the phone with the sales person and showed that I wanted her to make money on the deal. If you get competitive with them, they might not try to help you so much. I was able to negotiate the price of $6,500, which was a $1,000 savings, but was able to "nibble" and get additional items for free. They gave me 4 new tires ($850 value), new painted front Brabus spoiler ($500 value) (They found a crack when they were installing the tires), new painted Brabus rear spoiler ($500 value) (The center diffuser was missing, exposing the exhaust, which actually looks sporty) they didn't realize it was missing, but I saw it when I received my car. Their pics didn't show a straight-on rear pic and I purchased the car sight unseen. They replaced it, once I saw the defect the day they brought me the car. They delivered the car for free. ($300 value).

Bottom line, I was able to negotiate $2,150 savings and $1,000 off the price of the car. All those additional free items and the discount on the car, gave me an $8,650 Start Brabus for $6,500 with plenty of warranty left to uncover any potential problems. Buying from the Mercedes dealer gave me a real piece of mind. They also gave me a Free extended warranty up to $100,000 miles on the power trane. They gave the car a 92 point inspection, changed the oil and all the fluids. They added brake pads and serviced every aspect of the engine and chassis. If you are going to buy a Smart with higher mileage, this worked out to be a pretty good scenario.

The upper rear spoiler looked like someone took a brillo pad to it. I don't think anyone would notice it because it was on the roof. I found someone selling a black rear spoiler on eBay for $49 and free shipping. I jumped on it, had it in 3 days and installed it myself. I searched for the right Smart for me and I found it in two weeks using the Autolist app.

I knew I wanted a Brabus Edition, in dash gps/info entertainment system, 2013 or newer, White/Yellow/Black. Since Brabus comes in White, Black and Silver I was looking for White or Black in that order. I found a 2013 White Brabus in Colorado with only 15,000 miles, but the price was $9,995. I saved $3,500 + $700 shipping for a total of $4,200 savings. For that price, I'm happy with the Black Brabus.

I will buy a new Smart Car in the future when I find a White Special Limited Edition Performance Smart Car that's also a convertible/Cabriolet. When that happens, I'll know exactly what I'm looking for and will get everything I want in a Smart. I don't mind a few trade off on my first pre-owned Smart.

I learned a marketing concept in college that I told my teacher I'd never remember (Lol), called the "Compensatory Decision Making Model".

I want a red sports car with a manual transmission, but the red car has an automatic and the green car has a manual transmission. It's the process of give and take someone goes through, based on what is most important to them. I'm tired of trade offs, so I'm going to pay a lot of money to get exactly what I want, so I don't have to buy a car that doesn't have everything I want the next time I find exactly what I want.

Good Luck! ...Autolist App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts