Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 smart with 87k stopped running while I was driving. pulled over tried to start it a bunch of wrench lights came on would not restart. battery seems fine but is original. closest smart dealer is 300+ miles. have it at local mechanic in Boise. need any help we can get. thanks

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
Did everything (radio, instrument cluster, etc.) go off at once like it was shutoff? That can happen if you bump the key while driving. Happened to me once on the interstate. However, mine restarted after it came to a stop and I shifted it back into park. If that's what happened, yours may be really unhappy and need a battery disconnect for a while and transmission re-teach. Does the engine turnover, but not fire? If it won't even turn the engine over, then the position of the clutch actuator may be in question. If it was in the midst of shift when the power was cut, I could see all kinds of strange things happening with the trans.

Pure guesswork, though, I'm no mechanic. Hope you're able to figure something out. :(

·
Registered
651 Posts
First see if you can check any codes left in the system.After you do that for your own piece of mind change the battery. It is far too old to really have trust in it anyway.If the battery change does not fix the problem post the codes and maybe someone could help you further.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
If the engine just quit and would crank but not restart, it could be a failed fuel pump (fuel delivery unit). I'm not sure if a code would be shown with that. Maybe somebody else would know.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
If the engine just quit and would crank but not restart, it could be a failed fuel pump (fuel delivery unit). I'm not sure if a code would be shown with that. Maybe somebody else would know.
I had to replace my fuel pump, no codes were evident as the failure wasn't engine related. Strange but true.

·
Registered
338 Posts
ditto, no code for fuel pump failure. Our's failed and we got an errant CPS code for whatever reason. Still you should check for codes just in case. You can do an "old school" check to see if you're getting spark. If it has spark then it's probably the fuel pump. Local mechanic should be able to do the work as it's pretty straight forward.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Kheran's car quit when they turned it off in front of the Gatlinburg Inn prior to the Dragon Event this year. When he went to turn the key, everything lit up like normal, no check engine light, perfectly normal, but the engine would not turn over. The crankshaft position sensor had failed.
Too bad I wasn't there yet. I keep one in my glove box. :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all for the ideas. saw my mechanic yesterday who was trained by Renault in Mexico city. has a friend who is coming to Boise with some computer for Smarts. tested the battery old but still has some juice, will replace that. waiting on the computer. I was worried about all of the wrench lites that came on. will keep you posted. leaving for Jackson Hole on 3 sep. hope to have some idea before that.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Yes ..... I would look for a code , if possible. Mine would not crank at all due to a crankshaft position sensor. The bill from Knoxville smart showed a P0336 code stored.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts