Smart Car of America Forum banner

Need help with electrics - 2001 smart for two pure

14K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  sunnyokanagan 
#1 ·
Hi, Ive just joined this site. I live in the UK. I have a Smart Car but have a big problem with the electrics. It started with the door locks and lights just constantly locking and unlocking and flashing the indicator lights - perpetually. Eventually I was forced to search for the car battery and disconnect it. When I did so I noticed that the seat well under the carpet is absolutley drenched in water. I need to find where the water gets in, but now when I reconnect the battery the key symbol stays on and the key will not start the car. I assume that water has got into the electronic control system for the locks, but does anyone know where that is located? Also where are the usual water entry points for this model? I have a 2001 smart for two pure. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

#4 ·
Hi, thanks for replying to my query. The car doesnt have Air conditioning. I have been looking at it this afternoon and identified one area of water ingress on the right hand side rear plastic window. The water seems to be running in there and 'flowing' down toward the front right hand side of the car and the battery well. I am going to get some sikaflex and redo those windows seals. I also noted broken glass fragments under the mat, so at sometime I think either the windscreen or one of the door windows must have been replaced. I still havent managed to locate the electronics that control the central locking mechanism. Does anyone know where these are located as I wonder wether they may be wet. My key is useless now, it doesnt lock the doors or do anything since I reconnected the car battery.

#7 ·
Just an update, I have got my key working again with the car, but the electrical problem persists. when I conect the battery and press either unlock or lock on the key fob, the locking mechanism just starts toing and froing perpetually, just whirring away, the indicators keep flashing, and it keeps going until the battery runs flat or I disconnect the battery. If I turn the key in the ignition to the 'on' position the problem stops and I can use the car, but it starts again the moment I turn the ignition off.

Help me please!!! I am going nuts trying to locate this problem!

#9 · (Edited)
dominus

chieftmc is correct to a point, Kane of Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia is the out right expert on these cars, and his site offers a lot of info.

Where I have been looking at the SAM (For other reasons) I have read a lot of posts here smartmaniacs home and oddly enough the SAM has been known to get wet, and if it gets wet all sorts of STRANGE stuff could happen.

1st: find the leak and see if that leak has come in contact with the SAM.
2nd: when it goes into its Lock/unlock loop, does opening the door/back hatch/fuel door stop it?
3rd when you connect the battery, if you push the dash board Lock button does it happen
4th: if none of the above change any thing, disconnect this relay http://www.fq101.co.uk/receiver.asp (actually a receiver), if it is still cycling chances are your SAM is damaged (if you found water near the SAM, that could be the cause).

You may be able to hook up with someone close to you from the UK site that may be able to help you quicker than we can.

Best of luck

ASM

ps. it's funny there is a guy in the US (a true micro car lover in Mass.) who has a 2001 cab. and it has the EXACT problem, we've tried to hook up for the last year (so I could see if I could assist) but so far it hasn't worked. SSOO if you find a definite root cause/cure please let me know and I'll pass it on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.